Snow Parka / Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I agree the mitts are great. Used them last winter and never had an issue with cold hands. Only problem is my hand started to hurt after a while of shovelling snow. Not sure if thats me or the mitt design.

Do you remember where you got the tape from? I have seen various traditional winter clothing styling those sashes. I was planning to have a go at converting and Swedish Army snow smock before the next winter.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Do you remember where you got the tape from? I have seen various traditional winter clothing styling those sashes. I was planning to have a go at converting and Swedish Army snow smock before the next winter.

I bought a few different lengths of trimming from a shop in Norway about 15 years ago.

Because many girls still make their own traditional Bunad the haberdashery shops carry a good range of stuff you never see over here.

I think it was Kopervik if memory serves me right. I was at a Viking festival at Karmøy as I recall.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats some proper man sewing you've done there, looks fantastic mate, I really like it. goodjob

Worth a few bob too I reckon :cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh - I realy like that!
Can we see the inside layer?
Did you have any machineing problems with the Ventile?
I am sewing a "Ventile-ish fabric" at the moment and I am having great difficulty with even stitching as the dogs slip on the tight weave.... I will be tryimg a compensation foot but only have one on the straight stitcher not the computer controlled machine so will miss out on bar tacking.... did you use a ball head to sew the Ventile?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've always admired the windproof smock on your site

this ones a cracking bit of kit too

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
As mentioned the two skins are sewn at together at the cuffs and skirt but the upper part of the hood is connected with velcro to allow me to get between the skins to fix anything that needs fixing.

As there is a hooky and loopy side it was a simple affair to make a hood extension with opposite hooky and loopy bits and the fur attached to that.

Easy to remove and the parka can be used with or without the ruff.

now that's very clever gary, superb solution. i should imagine that the velcro inside the hood seam does a pretty good job of stiffening the peak too.

great looking work, really well done. i must get back on with the "fabric engineering" soon

stuart

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Oh - I realy like that!
Can we see the inside layer?
Did you have any machineing problems with the Ventile?
I am sewing a "Ventile-ish fabric" at the moment and I am having great difficulty with even stitching as the dogs slip on the tight weave.... I will be tryimg a compensation foot but only have one on the straight stitcher not the computer controlled machine so will miss out on bar tacking.... did you use a ball head to sew the Ventile?

The inside layer is much the same as the out but without the decoration.

The Ventile was a bitch to work with, My old hand cranked Jones machine would handle two layers, got temperamental on three and totally surrendered on four or more.

It wasn't slipping but the thread just kept snapping or the stitches wouldn't lock.

now that's very clever gary, superb solution. i should imagine that the velcro inside the hood seam does a pretty good job of stiffening the peak too.

great looking work, really well done. i must get back on with the "fabric engineering" soon

stuart

It does stiffen it nicely but not quite as controlably as wire would. I may add a bit at some point.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Someone asked me by PM for more info on the belt I'm using in the picture, I think a picture says it all better than I could.

Saami_Belt.jpg

It is based on a Saami design and is fully adjustable but can be released very quickly to allow for ventilation

The two slides make a captive loop which can be hooked into by the toggle. Adjusting the slides alters the belt length and if you want to be double secure you can slip the slide closer to the toggle to lock the loop in place.

This one is made from twisted reindeer hide with antler toggle and slides.

Thanks to Nick for showing me his example, very simple and extremely useful.

Biker

Really jealous of that smock Wayland. Just love it! Superb job as has been said. Been interesting reading this thread too. I did smile and John's posting. Takes a confident man to talk about "knit one, pearl one" with such passion. LOL (John's a wonderful bloke. No, really, he is. :lmao: )

Looking back at the picture of that smock you almost wish it were winter just to see it in it's right setting, but let's enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. We'll be seeing ventile swimming costumes paraded about mid January otherwise.

Nice one Wayland, I don't know you well enough to call you Gary as yet, but that's a really nice coat you've got there.

Biker

Hi Wayland,
Hope you don't mind but I couldn't shake that idea that Southey had of that picture of you needing to look like an oil painting, so I took the liberty of having a play in photoshop 7.0 using different filter overlays and these are the results.

Well I like 'em, besides it's all a learning curve to become familier with a program.

Just to recap the first is the unfiltered photo Wayland posted in posting number 1. All the rest are just applied filters over it of various types and settings. The only thing I did was slightly erase the filter where Wayland's face was, since most are drawn to someone's eyes when you look at a picture, and those filters just obliterated any features.

Snow-Parka1.jpg

Snow-Parka2.jpg

Snow-Parka3.jpg

Snow-Parka4.jpg

Snow-Parka5.jpg

Snow-Parka6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE