Possibly 30 year old primus micron stove just failed, what to replace with?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OK I'm upset, a long time friend that's possibly 30 years old has failed. A day ago the pz ignition failed then today I tried to close the pot supports and they were jammed so much I snapped one of then the other two. I need a replacement can top stove.

Now I don't know if many of you know about the micron. They seemed to change it several years ago. Mine was the original I believe with the gauze like centre circle. It seemed to make it better able to cope with wind. It glowed red when hot. At the time I bought it I believe reviewers rated it as the best. It certainly had he highest BTU, efficiency and fastest boil times. It's been an old reliable.

Our trangia gas conversion kit failed on our holiday so we brought this out as back up for bringing water to boil, with meths for the trangia as longer simmer.

So what is a good can top, compact stove? Soto, msr, primus, optimum? I would prefer pz ignition too. I know many think they only fail but mine lasted possibly 30 years with at most 4 or 5 clicks to light.

Any recommendations from any of the stove experts I believe BCUK has?

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Soto & MSR are very popular and have good reviews & plenty are avaialable preowned if cost is an issue.You can always use a seperate lighter (less to go wrong on a stove)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If you’d like to repair your old stove get itself over to Classic Camp Stoves.
Legs can be Silbrazed.
Parts can be found
A lot of helpful people will show you where to find instructions.

If you are ready to move on to a new stove then I am pretty sure there’s a UK “stovie” that might enjoy fettling your old stove. They might even be members here too.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Primus Trail Essential
It doesn't pack as small but no legs that flap around or get bent.
Cheap -ish
Can stand pretty hard winds.
Have a wide burnerhead so one can cook and not only boil water.
I compare It to an Optimus Crux (the folding type,) that I fund was flimsey and not up to more that boil water.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got a vango remote stove but it's wind affected significantly and even a windshield doesn't help, no idea why but wind blowing around the shield seems to make it splutter.

This van trip we're using that vango to boil water then simmer on meths burner in trangia 27. For a quick brew I'm playing with my old caldera cone and vargo pot/mug. Also brought my whitebox duo stove for a play but not got around to use that one. I seem to think I had a burner ring from an old antigravity cookset that you set light to meths in it with a can burner to get it jetting quicker. I thought I used it with the WBS but not sure. Not got it so might take awhile to heat up. They're more solid than drinks can stoves with more mass to heat. Will work well with the trangia kettle I think due to wide jets.

I have a few toys with me which has been useful with main burner failures. We can probably get by without a purchase but, you know... that's not much fun right?

Soto amicus I think I'm the local shop cheap enough with pz ignition. Msr pr 2 there possibly deluxe. Optimum crux can top burner with green details. Vango with remote with pz might have that tiny burner surround windshield feature can't remember. If not it's an older model I think and not much better than mine.

No snowpeak burners around. Might only get from UOG online. No good for this trip.

Did soto or msr do the concave burner first? They both sell it as wind resistant feature.

Does soto have burner regulator like msr pr 2 / deluxe? Is that a thing? As in effective feature? Make a difference? How?

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Regulators helpin that they minimise fuel consumption so are an advantage.
with regards burners the larger are supposedly better as can offer more wind resistance if designed properly and are better for cooking rather than boiling water as they don't created a small hot spot so to speak.
This review explains in more detail;

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Jet size is relevant to how you use it, pot shape / size and compact size. If you're a ul backpacker needing a water boiler for dehydrated foods using a mug pot then wide head isn't needed

Personally I haven't had any issue with my now broken narrow head burner even with wide pot when water boiling. That's really all its used for.

Meths stoves I reckon benefit more from matching burner jet spread to pot size I think because it's a lower energy fuel / burn. A gas jet seems to hit the pot "harder" and spreads but it looks to me that meths flames aren't as strongly impacting. If that makes sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE