Snow Parka / Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snow-Parka-800h.jpg

I've just spent the last week putting this snow parka / anorak together for the Arctic Course next year.

It's double skinned and fully reversible, light grey tent canvas on one side and Nato green L19 Ventile on the other.

The ruff is re-cycled from an old Victorian fox fur stole that I found at a boot sale some time ago and can be removed for washing etc.

It was probably the most complicated and awkward item of clothing I've ever made and I certainly don't intend to make another so I made this one to last.

It's based roughly on the Sally Robbins pattern from the Conover's book "Snow Walkers Companion" but I adapted the design with a few of my own touches and based it around the cut of my wind shirt.

The idea is that the sleeves are wide enough to bring your arms back into the parka and adjust your layers without exposing yourself to the wind.

It can also be ventilated by unhooking the belt and opening the neck gusset (as shown) to get a chimney effect if needed.

Obviously it's a bit warm at the moment to give it a proper testing but it certainly seems comfortable and should work as intended.

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Fantastic Gary , do you have any pics of the green side ? i love it ,been intending to make something like this for yonks from some ventile i have .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fantastic Gary , do you have any pics of the green side ? i love it ,been intending to make something like this for yonks from some ventile i have .

Looks exactly the same but without the trimming.

I wanted something that wouldn't look out of place in a damp British winter so instead of just making a liner I made two jackets and seamed them together at the cuffs, hood and skirt.

I would have to say that the L19 was a swine to work with. My hand cranked Jones machine would handle a double layer fine, struggled with three layers and gave up the ghost completely on four.

The fur ruff matches my beard too... ;)

I thought that was a full round ruff for a minute with a pull up front to cover the chin. :)

Looks great. I was actually looking for something like this for a new project or at least modifying the Swedish Arctic Smock.

How much work is involved in making one of those and can it be done by hand?

I will have to resort to buying the book from the States and get it shipped over here.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That really is a cracking bit of clothing Gary... How did you attach the ruff?

As mentioned the two skins are sewn at together at the cuffs and skirt but the upper part of the hood is connected with velcro to allow me to get between the skins to fix anything that needs fixing.

As there is a hooky and loopy side it was a simple affair to make a hood extension with opposite hooky and loopy bits and the fur attached to that.

Easy to remove and the parka can be used with or without the ruff.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mind if I ask if that is a pair of the German Army mitts hanging from your waist? If so whats the pattern on it?

Btw I have the book on order so hopefully should get it soon. I take it there isnt much difference in the versions other than the title?

Yes they are the German mitts, they are a very good bit of kit.

Mitts.jpg

The pattern is another bit of tape I had left over from a long gone project.

As for the books I compared the "Look inside" pages with mine and they seem the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE