Sliky Pocket Boy 170.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, I been saying it for a while now..... and have been wondering which Folding Saw to get, I have a cheap Yoman, this is ok but just does not perform as I would like, the choice was the Laplander or the Silky Pocket Boy 170

I plumbed for the Sliky after reading reviews about Slikys, did not find many about the 170 Pocket Boy, after about 6 months of pondering.. I bit the bullet, and went for it.

Today Mr Postie knocked and handed me a Jiffy Bag.....my excitement rose, fingers fumbled with the pen to sign for it....

I shut the door, the Jiffy bag stood no hope, not even one, let alone two hopes......

Out popped a Silky 170 Pocket Boy.... on first Impression, I am not sure about the clear plastic sheath that it comes with, made from plastic that is unsure about what it is, as it has the No. 7 code meaning it could be a number of different or a mix, it has a Stainless Steel clip that folds behind the belt, so could slip off the belt it feels like it could take a few smaller bashes, but not to many, but hey I'll just make a leather one.

DSC_0959.jpg

The overall length is 205 mm with with blade closed, 55 mm at the widest point being the thumb blade catch, and is 25 mm at the thickest part of the Grip, it weighs about 200 grams.

The feel of it in the hand is very nice, with a soft touch rubber handle, you know the type that just feels right, and is definitively non slip, the whole thing feels and looks like it is made to last, the two position blade lock is so positive that it lock in place with a load click, the Locking Thumb Rocker is nice and large and easy to use, even with a gloved hand, and has four raised dots for grip, I know people have said that having a blade that locks closed is good, I don't know why as when not in use its in the sheath.

The Blade is ubber sharp, and cut's very easy and quick with no trouble, I had to have a play in the Garden, it has 8.5 TPI as standard with this model with the Black Grip, the teeth cover about 160mm of the blade length, and there is a small aperture through just like a pen knife to aid opening, that in my opinion, with my big fingers could be bigger, but can still be used.

There is a nice 8mm'ish hole for a lanyard in the handle that is part of the body, the metal body and Blade Catch Parts are plated, and free from burrs, made from die cut and formed steel.

Looking from an Engineers point of view I like it.. and if it was to break, then it could easily be repaired, no small buttons, thin wires, or doggy clamps to hold the blade locked, following on from the repair comment the pivot screws can be obtained as spares, for a few pound, and there is a choice of 4 blade TIP's being 7, 8.5, 17 & 22 for about £17 for a spare blade.

I know that £35 is a lot for a folding saw, and the Laplander is half the price at about £17, and you can get spare blades for those for about £12. In my opinion, I feel that I made the right choice

I got this one new for £26 delivered- very cheap, after a long search, now I have it in my hand I would pay out the extra, especially if it performs as well as it did in the garden in my quick try,

I am looking forward to using this next weekend, and will be able to use it next to a Laplander, also may be get a couple of others opinions in use and will update.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have both a pocket boy and a Laplander - both are fine saws, but the pocket boy is better made, more pocket sized and definitely has the edge in cutting ability

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have both a pocket boy and a Laplander - both are fine saws, but the pocket boy is better made, more pocket sized and definitely has the edge in cutting ability

Yeah I agree, I have used Laplanders and found them to be good, I just liked the look and from what info I had found liked the Silky, for me now I have held and quickly used the Silky, I know which I prefer, only time will really tell

Nice post and very informative. And where did one get the good price?

I just looked about, then found an unwanted present on that wonderful place called ebay :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Snap.

Postie delivered a 130 pocketboy this morning. I have a Laplander that I love, but the Silky's seem to get good reviews and I wanted a smaller option for walks out. I too was after the black handle version (medium teeth) but after finding a £20 deal with postage on said site I settled on the red version (course teeth), bargain.

Now to test it out :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thin flexible blades that only cut on the pull stroke, can snap/bend easily if your too rough. Not as robust bladewise as a laplander. They require technique, which he probably didn't have. :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i bought a silky about 5 years ago when I started managing a woodland, it was only a matter of months before I stopped pratting about with any other type of folding/fixed blade saw for woodland use :) I think I'm up to about 5 silkys now, including fixed blades, a pole saw and the beast of a folder: the Katana Boy!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Stop it! Stop it! I keep telling myself I'm happy with my Laplander, that I don't NEED another saw, but you good(?) folk just ain't helping!

Dave

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Stop it! Stop it! I keep telling myself I'm happy with my Laplander, that I don't NEED another saw, but you good(?) folk just ain't helping!

Dave

Naaaah, just get one, you know you want to:), you don't have to spend a fortune either, a Silky F180 is the same price as a Laplander, sometimes cheaper if you shop around, but is ten times the saw, all of my Laplanders are more or less redundant now.

DSCN2082.jpg

Then you will need a Gomtaro

DSCN9436.jpg

and a Pocket Boy

DSCN9208.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Dave

Hold on dave,

This weeknd I got about ten of us meeting in a nice little woodland in suffolk between Haverhill and Bury St Edmunds - see the suffolk Thread, your welcome if you like, it'll cost you a tenner for the weekend, most of the lads have laplanders, I am going to take my Silky and see how a few of them like it, then I'll report back on this thread what they think.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for the offer Stu, but as I very recently became a Grandfather my spare time doesn't seem to either exist or be my own any more! I'm down to a bit of whittling in the back yard when I'm not cutting firewood.

Cheers,

Dave

PS - I've got my grandson a nice little knife sorted out ready mind!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am a Laplander user but I was tempted by a Silky Super Accel 21. It's a similar size to the Laplander and works on the pull cut. Initially, I was slightly sceptical but with usage and time, I realise that the Silky is one helluva saw. I do still like the fact that the Laplander will remain locked shut in my pack/pocket but I have managed to fashion an effective solution for the Silky with a bit of cord. The trouble now is trying to choose which saw to take!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks for the offer Stu, but as I very recently became a Grandfather my spare time doesn't seem to either exist or be my own any more! I'm down to a bit of whittling in the back yard when I'm not cutting firewood.

Cheers,

Dave

PS - I've got my grandson a nice little knife sorted out ready mind!

Congratulations, when your ready for a night out over a weekend we are about , give us a shout

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The SPB is extremely sharp but I managed to snap off the end of the blade the second time I used it. The replacement blade cost almost as much as two Laplanders. I just stick with a Laplander now.

The SPB is a very nice saw but I would suggest just being aware that is quite brittle, at least in my experience

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE