Sliky Pocket Boy 170.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The SPB is extremely sharp but I managed to snap off the end of the blade the second time I used it. The replacement blade cost almost as much as two Laplanders. I just stick with a Laplander now.

That's what has put me off, the price of new blades is just too much.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's what has put me off, the price of new blades is just too much.

I am hoping that the blades last me, I seem to have managed to work out how to work the pull saw method with little effort, just got to get used to it... saying that hope nobdy snaps it this weekend.....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As promised, back from a weekend away, with the guys, had a few try the Pocket Boy against a couple of other pocket saws, one being the main player in the market that being the Laplander, and another one that I can not remember the name of, but it was one of the less used, this one did not come any where near either the Laplander or the Silky so I'll discount it from any comment, all be it a useful tool.

The comments about the feel, the look, and the quality of build of the Silky along side the Laplander where that the silky was better to hold in the hand, and the grip was more grippy, the Blade Lock was easier to use on the Pocket Boy, it was also commented on how the feel in the had would be in cold weather, this I will try as the winter comes along, so in the whole across the seven others on the week the Silky came out on top.

In the use there was no real way of saying that there was a clear winner of the "how quick do they cut" part of it, some found the Laplander slightly easier to cut with, some found the Silky to cut with, this did not really surprise, me due to I think that the Silky needs bit more technique then the Laplander, and most at the camp have always used a Laplander.

On the quality of the cut across the board and every one that used it said that the Silky made a far cleaner, smother cut.

I did find that at one point I had to use the Silky in its second cutting position, because of the location of the branch I wanted to cut, this could not have been done with the Laplander, so a Positive for the Silky there.

This happened to be quite a good test in the field as there was a new laplander on camp that was brand new so tests were done with two new saws, it will be interesting how well both these perform over the next six months.

So far I would say is the Silky Value For Money... I would say Yes, not because it cuts better out of the box in comparison to the Laplander, but at the moment I feel the quality of the tool is far better, but only time will tell if that quality will pay off

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Been using mine for a few months .....can not fault it and will not look at another again. As you say....the second cut position gives it an extra edge so to speak. Just cut some ivy and with the flush cut, saved the tree from a scuff :thumbup:
uqyvuza5.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If they take a similar time to cut through a log, then the silky is doing it in half the strokes as it only cuts on the pull, where as the the lappy cuts both ways :)

So the silky blade will last twice as long as the lappy.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
They are the greatest!

I cannot understand why anyone would want anything else

During the conversations This last weekend, the only real reason I could see was that the Laplander was cheaper, and the spare blades are cheaper, the feeling was that why spend more on something else that cost more that they have no real experience of as there is not really many out there in the feild, most had never seen one let along held one.

In some ways I do find that strange as how many buy a GB axe with out even seeing one, rather then try some others, but in a funny way they buy a cheaper folding saw because they have not seen or used a Silky..... think that because its driven by the things they watch, rather then research and using one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE