Show Us Your Hiking Staves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I use one in preference to twin sticks when woodland stalking and can never pass up an opportunity to collect a new one. In fact I can't go for a walk in the woods without bringing at least one new stick back!

Just about to fashion my first stave from holly and after allowing it to dry out for 2 years.

Oh, and no room here for those abominations that are the telescopic endurance walking poles please!

Cheers

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I had a stout cherry staff that was drying well. It had been drying slowly for six months last April.

Unfortunately it was a casualty (along with my sofa, chairs, carpet etc., etc.,) in the "Great Dog Chew Up" of last April.

The dog no longer chews - there's nothing left worth chewing.

Looking forward to this thread.

atb

Liam

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I usually find mine in the woods, and leave them there afterwards. Not a fan of the two sticks thing either, looks like trying to ski without snow... or skies. Been meaning to make a proper one though, maybe try carving something on it. Whenever (if ever) I do that I'll post pics.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, I am making one right now. My last one, which was made from Hazel died last week when my English Bull Terrier crashed into it at full speed and smashed it into 3 pieces..:( RIP . Anyway, better the stick than one of my legs.:eek:

So the one I am making is now going to be a fairly stout Ash stick, about 5 feet long. No pics as yet though :rolleyes: I'll post some when I get around to finishing it at the week end hopefully.

And I agree, those aluminium things are vile..clink, clink, clink, down the road. :yuck:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Here you go, both made by me a couple of years ago.

This is my one.

S8001525.jpg

S8001532.jpg

And this one I made for my brother.

S8001723.jpg

S8001721.jpg

S8001722.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I like to cut mine off at approx. nose height. I have spent a lot of time, starting out with a somewhat overly long one and cutting them off 1 inch at a time until I was satisfied with it and that was the height that I ended up at. Your mileage may vary.

My favored wood is hophornbeam. A bit heavy, but it is nearly as strong as steel. Mine is about half again as big around as my thumb and I can put the two ends of it on two rocks that are over my head and I can do "chin ups" with it and have no fear of it breaking.

Last edited:

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Hi.
These are just the ones in the house at the moment.

My main stave is the Blackthorn thumb stick in the middle or the black stained one on the left.

I started out with stave's about head height (6') but through natural evolution, and after enduring lots of strange looks when walking, all my sticks end up about armpit level.

I have since used my blackthorn stick twice as a crutch to assist strangers down Snowdon and Kinder Scout.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Nice sticks there Gaoler.

The word Shillelagh springs to mind for a couple of them. :)

atb

Liam

Last edited:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Excellent sticks there. I think the two/one stick debate depends on what you're doing, a longer stick/staff in woodland is really useful for holding branches out of the way etc.

If you're hill walking or using sticks for longer walks you really want 2. 1 stick can cause problems with back, joints etc as it throws your posture off, where as 2 sticks keeps it inline and transfers some of the effort from legs to upper body.

I've a few of sticks here seasoning, hazel, lime and birch I think, need to check on them soon.

Matt

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Googling Tyvek turns up a range of uses, including this highly fashionable set of overalls.

200px-John_wearing_Tyvek_suit.jpg

So it has been used for some kind of clothing at least. I wonder if it'll take a dye? If not I suppose it could be used as a waterproof liner?

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread, don't I feel a prat now, but hey at least I did have a stick to show, and it's down the page a bit.

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Made for me for my 50th last year.

The main staff is hawthorn (said to protect against evil spirits and strengthen the body in old age - so that's now useful for me :D). I like the fact that it is all twisted - and obviously not manufactured. This picture doesn't do it justice - there's a lot of work gone into it.

staff_01.jpg

The ball at the top is yew and symbolises death and resurrection and is a guardian against evil and negative forces.

staff_02.jpg

I haven't used it yet. Still seems too good to use...but I suppose it must get out into the mud one day. A lovely thing to have for a memorable birthday.

Geoff

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
When I referred to "twin sticks" I should have said crossed sticks as in the type that support a rifle between the V.

I've just realised how tricky these things are to photograph but here's 2 of mine both in hazel and that suggest their use other than when crossing a fence line or negotiating steep banks.

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

The difference and benefits of a stave over a walking stick or even thumb stick have to be experienced to be fully appreciated but they are significant. As an aid to stalking when encountering precipitous ground they really come into their own allowing you to inch forward without slipping or moving too fast.

Try it!

Cheers

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
i have loads! i used to cut beating sticks for our old pheasant shoot this obviously evolved into an obsession with making good quality, unusual, walking sticks that look like they fit in when out in the countryside! i usually use blackthorn these days that i have access to via the farm hedgerows and other previous woods include, holly,ash,chestnut and hazel, i have also made one offs of hawthorn, hornbeam and birch, i prefer a stick that reaches the first joint of my wrist when arms are at my side, this makes a manouverable all round stick that i wouldnt be without! will try to post some pics when i get back from work!

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Wrong thread? :lmao:

You been on the wine already Alex ;)

Cheers,

Alan

Yeah, had two windows open and didn't notice, whoops, and hey I live in rural France it's tradition to have a little glass of red first thing in the morning. For your health of course.

And if you two hadn't pointed it out I could have sneakily gone and edited it to show these photos of my stick/staff. Oh well, here goes, it's overshadowed by all the work here though.

Anyway, here it is, I think it's silver birch because I picked it up in a birch wood, but I'm lousy at identifying wood if it's not growing out of the ground. It was just laying by the path where they'd been trimming, so I picked it up to hold back brambles while I picked blackberries, and then thought I'd bring it home.

The leatherwork is really basic it's an old belt cut up and stitched on. I epoxied a penny on the top because I fancied something a bit different, and the aluminium ferrule is a bit of sheet that I hammered into rough shape.

Sadly it's now got a split in it about 2/3rds of the way down which I've tried epoxying,but it's not really taken. I might try binding it, but it's probably easier to find another stick and remake it. I've also always wanted to cut it in half and put a join in like a snooker cue, so I can pack it smaller when I don't need it. Might try that one day.

4388978959_6424987b25.jpg

4389745806_f1e3a3e528.jpg

4389746328_7aea835525.jpg

4388978447_23cea12ef3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE