Trip Report Wolf Moon Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Another beautiful sunny Winter's day. I spent the morning charging the Bike battery, but by 13.00 hrs I was crossing the lake carrying a full Bergan for what I guessed would be a cold night out. The Reed Beds at the North end of the lake are teeming with bird life and from a distance look like wall across the lake in the sunshine.

Fully loaded with warm kit, food, 3 litres of water, sleeping bag, shelter etc: all up weight is 34 lbs..Shudders from the lightweight Brigade...:laugh: But I'm only an hours walk from my camp site on the cliff top, so it's not hard labour, although, since an injury in December 2020 this farm track is testing. That's a false summit you see in the photo, the climb goes on a fair way beyond that horizon. :cry:....:laugh:

HeliconTex, one of the few civvy packs I own but quite comfortable and knocks a few pounds off my usual Bergan. With the addition of a couple of extra pouches it's still lighter and carries all I need for a Winter overnight.

Plenty of wild country to camp but I'd probably get a complaint from Mrs Wooly and her crowd that I was camped on the tastiest area of grass, so I'll head for the hollow close to the cliff top.

It will be cold tonight and I know camping in a hollow is not a good drill because the cold air will collect there, but I've pleaded advanced years and brought a Down Bag which should keep me warm.

The bright yellow plastic pegs are ideal here because of the soft sandy soil. I'm not stealth camping anyway and I know that Gucci lightweight Titanium wide pegs are available but these are light and I got 12 for the price of 3 posh shiney ones..:laugh:

I favour an 'A' frame type set up over a single pole. The poles are lightweight and I've colour coded them so it's a simple set up and increases living space under the tarp.

Central Zip sewn in my issue Bivvy Bag last Century by my Mrs, although I saw someone had just invented the idea on YouTube...:laugh: Foil sheet sniper taped permanently inside bag.

Room with a view, and the Sun is setting and Lady Moon has risen.

The first January full moon of a New Year, a Wolf Moon to our Ancestors. As the day dies the hollow fills with Her pale silver light. It's cold now and silent.

Cooking..ok, food heating...:laugh:...by Head Torch, and Moonlight.

A warm, comfortable night and a cold breezy morning with high cloud.

The Sun just touching the high ground behind my camp.

Much of he hollow was still in shadow when I broke camp and showing no sign that I had been there.

:thumbsup:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Yes, +1 more for the foil under-doodle!
Also thank you for the pictures and most enjoyable write-up.
S

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Great idea rigging that tarp pitch with an a frame. I'll have to give that a go.
I use lightweight ally poles which adjust with a screw clamp. There are a couple of benefits to not using the usual walking poles.
1. The clamps provide handy hanging points...This has proved to be a safe drill with the UCO over many trips..

2. It's easy to adjust tension on the Tarp from inside, rather than go out and tighten guy lines.
:thumbsup:

Reactions: Red Fox

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Yes, I like that setup with the UCO, looks good. I've got an old dome tent destined for recycling, I might try and fashion something similar out of the poles, although they might not have the strength that your poles have. It will be worth a try though, particularly as I don't actually use trekking poles for walking. I use a bug bivi with integrated ground sheet, so an a-frame setup adjusted to the dimensions and slopes of the bug bivi and also supporting the tarp could work quite nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE