Semi-permanent Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Hi all, I posted a thread about my semi permanent camp yesterday, I tidy'd it up abit today and got some photos :D
Any advice on what a can make at the camp to make it better or any ideas?:)
Today i cut down the trees that were cut down and left everywhere and made a pile of firewood and burnt some today, I cleared the rubbish into a pile and will burn it off or carry it out when i am next there:)

The small stream:
stream.jpg

Camp:
camp.jpg

Shelter:
shelter.jpg

Fire place: :campfire:
woodandfire.jpg

Making coffee:
cook.jpg

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The roof is a carpet and there metal sheets on top of the carpet, has never been wet inside :)
I may make a chair with the tripod method, Used to sitting on the floor thou :D

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
-Chair or bench - enough for a few people ?
-Screening: looks like a building or picket fence in the background ? Setup some of the fallen wood and perhaps plant or encourage some suitable plants/trees to grow.
-Nice fire pit with spots for a billy, spit etc
-Table, perhaps somewhere suitable for bush crafting
-A primitive forge
-Toilet facilities: got to keep regular camp sites hygienic
-In the stream, you could consider a small dam to make water access easier (bath, water wheel, fish)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thankyou, Im thinking of planting some trees there to black off from the alotment, but someone cut down all the old trees so i dont want that to happen, but ill make a chair or two when im next out, thanks :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thankyou, Im thinking of planting some trees there to black off from the alotment,

...if your camp is only 30 yards from an allotment, maybe you should consider moving somewhere a little more remote before the residents/users report you to the police for vagrancy.

I cleared the rubbish into a pile and will burn it off or carry it out when i am next there...

Assuming it's your rubbish, as it's your camp and you've been using it a while, you should take your rubbish with you each time you leave.

I'm sorry mate, but I think your camp practice is about as bad as it gets. You are far too close to a residential area (even if the houses are far away, you are far too close to those allotments) and walking away from a camp like that with carpet, tin roofing and rubbish left behind is appalling and inconsiderate practice IMO, not to mention that it looks like you've been cutting branches off living trees. You ever heard the phrase "leave no trace"? Dear god man I've seen less destruction after a gypsy wedding. If it's your land (which it obviously isn't), then fair enough, but if that is common land you need to have a bit of a rethink, I think.

Even though it's unlawful, people usually turn a blind eye to wild camping in this country providing it's done out of the way, quietly and with sympathy for the environment. But that kind of camp is exactly the sort of thing that gets us all a bad name ...and deservedly so.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Mate if that carpet gets wet it will rot and you can get seriously ill. Also it looks a little jakey with old carpet.

Fair do's for recycling it though but nt a great idea.

Your too close to people. You don't want to be giving it laldy with an axe or knife as it could give a local a fright.

There is hardly ever any need for a fire that large save your wood and make the fire do what you wan't it to do more effeciently. My beliefs are to use only what you need, you could easily make a brew with a small fire.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Why do some of yers have to bury another person like this? it appears to me, beenn needs good advice without the scorn. :nono:

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Calm down fellas. The guy needs guidance so...

Use as little man made material as possible for ur shelter would be a good start

Also of kids find it they will use it and will either get hurt or annoy/intimidate others. Use the site but take ut stuffs away with u to prevent any greif. Pack light, basha
And hammock, leave no trace... everyon s happy :)
mobile bcuk through tapatalk

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
i'm not having a go at you for speaking your mind, i happen to agree that the camp is not a particularly great advert for bushcraft. i just think that it may be better approach to be constructive with your criticism, point out where he's going wrong but then offer advice on how to go the right way about things. he's obviously keen, and i think it would be a shame if he lost that.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
assuming its his rubbish

assuming its not his land

assuming he cut the trees

assuming he carries a knife on his belt

deep breaths folks, relax and wait for a response i say,...

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
He say's it's not his rubbish and he also said he has been cleaning up the sight and is continuing to do so. He also said that that wood was cut down by others and he was just using it for fire and building material.

Nothing wrong with what he is doing apart from the carpet and metal roof.

You probably want to find a better location away from people and make your shelter from natural materials and keep it hidden and blend it in.

This way no one will find it so no one will complain.

Good though mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE