Need to be taught better- woodland vandalism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Perhaps, but it's a bit of a myth to say coppice is 'good woodland management' for wildlife. A coppice is only one of many woodland habitats that support wildlife. Large areas of coppice are just another monoculture with little species diversity compared to well managed, mixed structure, woodland.
I think the biggest issue with most crimes and disrespect is at the source people are I'll educated and that's what needs to be tackled but ideas are easier said then done

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If Covid fraud of ~£7bn was recouped, that would pay 4000 people £35k per year for 50 years. That would probably go some way towards helping.

Money is there for things that are needed, if less was wasted.
And waste is what governments have always done. There's probably more waste to be found elsewhere but they've never got that back either. That unconfirmed 7 billion would probably work out at 3 billion after waste in setting up this ranger force. Before training and cost to make it all legal too.

BTW is 4000 even enough people? There's 12,000 farm workers in Cumbria and there's plenty of rubbish and land damage around. It's the land they're working but don't stop it. Now 4000 people walking around Cumbria just to find those litter louts. 1.69km2 per ranger in Cumbria. Widen that to uk that's just under 61km2 per ranger or 56km2 rural land per ranger. I'm curious as to how much rubbish and misuse of land they'd stop.

Corrective action for rubbish and land damage is fine people after they do it. Hmm! As someone who's worked in quality assurance that CA would not get past a customers suppler quality team. Reactionary after the fact not any element of prevention. No idea of the best CAPA for this issue but kwality kops isn't a solution in quality field and there's no way it would work here. You simply cannot police everyone. 100% checking never works! Deming proved that with the red ball experiment I the 50s or earlier IIRC.

Doubt it? Have you never put something down in the countryside or campsite like say a peg then despite knowing where abouts you put it you still can't find it again? Or perhaps a knife or multi tool? There was a story recently of a guy in the lakes wildcamping who went for an evening stroll then couldn't find his tent and having to call out mountain rescue. The evening is likely the time you'll be looking for dodgy wildcampers too.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In towns and cities there's rubbish but generations of kids have been taught not to litter. Kids are widely taught respect for nature in primary schools. Schools and charities take kids out into the countryside on residential centres up and down the country. My kid's school was on the side of Lake windermere. Lancashire schools have Borwick Hall near the edge of Lancashire / Cumbria border, indeed probably other centres too. A mate once worked there and saw kids from all over Lancashire from 5 years old to 17 years old.

Just what education is missing that's not being given?

One last point, as a kid we were taught on school residential trips not to light fires in the countryside. Fire service adverts on TV I've seen as a kid said similar. I'm certain others my age will have seen similar. So how many from the UK about my age on here light fires when out and about? I'm not talking about where you have permission but where you don't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE