Sanitary towels as wound dressings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There have always been reservations, they perform different functions. Of course anything can be improvised and if you need to improvise then you use what you have. On the other hand carrying one in an FAK is like planning to improvise. It's a different matter if they are also needed for their intended function.....

Best summary I can think of.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hi all
I've always carried a sanitary towel in my FAK as a good compact absorbent dressing and used it just the other day to stem a glass wound in a leg complete (naturally) with a wrapping of duct tape. What's the thoughts on using them? I love the fact that they are cheap, do the job, readily available and multi-use but do also recognise that they aren't sterile.

one site I've looked at has the warning below but as it's a site selling conventional trauma dressings I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

"All too often non-sterile sanitary towels are used as major bleed dressing pads. Typically these contain super-absorber powders that clot to gel on contact with blood. Just one grain of this powder has the capacity to cause a deadly blood clot if it were to ingress into the casualties venous system."

any thoughts? If they are better not to use if be interested to know the most effective compact solution (by the way I'm talking smaller bleeds than needing FFD's but larger than just needed a plaster)

Okay here's my wifes take on them as a former EMT-A

Some towels (not all) do contain a starch like powder. But only accessible if it's ripped or cut open. Your first concern with a major bleed is to stop the blood loss. As long as you use a towel complete and uncut you should be okay. As regards to sterility unless it covered in dog poop you'll be okay. Infection can be dealt with in the hospital and are on a daily basis with wounds that got infected by using non sterile dressings, hankies, tee-shirts, towels etc.

Infections are easy for a doctor...bringing someone back to life who died of blood loss is another thing.

Our car trauma kit has four sterile combat dressing plus a bunch of sanitary towels. While the stocked EMT-FR bag has a whole section full of pads, they do have their uses.

The site you mentioned seems to be scare mongering people into buying their sterile dressings. Which to my warped way of thinking is not on. What if someone took that to heart and wouldn't help someone because they didn't have a sterile dressing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know folks managed before they had either 'sterile combat dressings' or mass produced sanitary towels.....and bluntly I think (and I am not alone) in thinking ST's belong in the loo not in a FAK.
Anything that can be padded and bound on will work, a folded or rolled up tshirt for instance.

Frankly I think using STs is one of those 'bright' ideas looking for a reason, other than that they're intended for, iimmc.

Sticky wings, pretty pink plastic wraps, heavy, light or medium flow, daytime or nighttime use, comfort fit shaped back or front, old fashioned looped for belts Dr. White's, dry surface outer layer, rayon filled, or the 10% organic cotton Natracare...which ones should one choose ? :rolleyes:
Then there are the issues of allergy and toxicity to consider.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/22/feminine-hygiene-products.aspx

M

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Back in 98 I got knifed in the guts and lost a lot of blood between the event and getting to hospital, the t-towel i grabbed off my mates kitchen bench was all i had available and jammed it in the wound whilst i walked 3/4 mile to hospital, i was also wearing a puffa jacket at the time (it was all the style i loved that jacket) which also got squashed against the stab hole along with the t-towel, neither were clean.

I do not know if this caused any extra problems for the surgeons but was told it was the difference between me being here and not aswell as the 4 hr op to stitch my liver and spleen back together via a laparoscopic operation where the docs cut me from belly button to sternum to gain access , all i knew was i could not hang around waiting for an ambulance, summick inside said keep moving and move in the direction of the hospital, almost the second i arrived at the hospital i lost consciousness, i just had time to show the receptionists the mess and say "Can you pop a couple of stitches in here so i can gan yem i hate hospitals" and i do not remember hitting the floor, I was not very bright back then, street smart but thick as pig crap

20 sanitary towels wouldn't have done me any good never mind one

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
They could be used, and i have seen them used.
They do a good job of collecting the blood but not much for the wound or covering it.
If i were to carry one it would be for bio spill collection/clean up after the wound was dressed.

I have seen and used all sorts of thing in my time as a medic but unless your a complete skin flint cheepo, Just buy some proper dressings.

Also dont use them up your nose for nose bleeds, as they can shed fibres and do swell up. Pulling it out tends to hurt and also start the bleeding again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen and used all sorts of thing in my time as a medic but unless your a complete skin flint cheepo, Just buy some proper dressings.

That sums it up for me :)
T- towels, T- shirts, nappies, hankies, STs - yup - they have all been used effectively to staunch bleeding and save lives ... proper dressings, designed for the job, do it better :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Also dont use them up your nose for nose bleeds, as they can shed fibres and do swell up. Pulling it out tends to hurt and also start the bleeding again.

Hahaha! Luckily I wasn't drinking tea when I read that or I would have sprayed the computer with it!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
These days the only thing missing from my edc med kit is a self stitching up kit and bone splint setup, although i do carry a good needle and thread combo elsewhere in my kit to repair kit and clothing, hope i am never injured enough that i feel the need to use it on the flesh.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I have got to say, as a bloke, and this is extremely embarrassing, that sanitary towels have been a massive help for me in my current situation. I had an operation on the 9th of May on a pilonidol sinus, long story short it went wrong and I have been left with an open wound on my bum cleavage (sorry to much info) 12cm long and 4cm deep, when I was losing a lot of blood sanitary towels were far better than anything the doctors or hospital could give me, my wife just went to Tesco and bought the cheapest pack she could.
Although I won't have this wound forever, they are a definately multi use item that I will put in my fak, and the ones I have cost penny's. And if you want them to be waterproof vacuum seal them.
Sorry if I gave too much info, just thought the view of a big burly bloke may help lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think a pilonidal cyst/sinus op is a different thing entirely. That's a wound in a cleft where any movement threatens to split it again.
I hope you have a very swift recovery, though I know that's very unlikely :sigh: and I really hope you never have a recurrance (that has better odds :) )

The only other man I knew of who used ST's suffered from bleeding piles and he blessed the biggest softest thickest ones his missus could buy.

Kind regards,
Mary

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That is twice i have cringed in this thread today, i have a terribly graphic visual mindseye

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I have got to say, as a bloke, and this is extremely embarrassing, that sanitary towels have been a massive help for me in my current situation. I had an operation on the 9th of May on a pilonidol sinus, long story short it went wrong and I have been left with an open wound on my bum cleavage (sorry to much info) 12cm long and 4cm deep, when I was losing a lot of blood sanitary towels were far better than anything the doctors or hospital could give me, my wife just went to Tesco and bought the cheapest pack she could.
Although I won't have this wound forever, they are a definately multi use item that I will put in my fak, and the ones I have cost penny's. And if you want them to be waterproof vacuum seal them.
Sorry if I gave too much info, just thought the view of a big burly bloke may help lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am i the only one that wants to see this wound......??

Sicko i know but i love a good open wound photo.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think a pilonidal cyst/sinus op is a different thing entirely. That's a wound in a cleft where any movement threatens to split it again.
I hope you have a very swift recovery, though I know that's very unlikely :sigh: and I really hope you never have a recurrance (that has better odds :) ).....

I had this surgery when I was in my early 20s. No use of the towels though. They packed the wound with surgical gauze. I still remember the stench when they removed it :yikes:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Not personally but it was all the rage in the army........
Used to get 2 or 3 a week in the med center after boxing.
Was always fun pulling them out by the string and them having to clean them with a syringe. ..

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I had this surgery when I was in my early 20s. No use of the towels though. They packed the wound with surgical gauze. I still remember the stench when they removed it :yikes:

I had a friend who went Interrailing with that wound back in the 90's. (Luckily her traveling companion was a trained nurse who did the repacking). Not a nice op but she thought it was well worth it and it did heal well in the end. So good luck Jacko1066 you'll get there and still be able to do stuff while you heal.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Thanks again all. Correct dressings duly bought and included (without removing anything which implies some TARDIS tech in place that I wasn't aware of!)

As as an aside, also included is some liquid skin/liquid plaster decanted into one of those tiny tiny glass tubes that perfume samples come in. Tiny and has a mastic applicator built in. (Washed of course)

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Sexy dressings arent as important as proper wound management. Direct pressure, indirect pressure then torniquet (If not too serious)...if its a critical haemmorhage then youre gonna need a torniquet first .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE