Your medical kit - its a mess!

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
sorry, yes, I should clarify a bit - there can be knock on effects of releasing pre-hospital that can be hard to mitigate with the more finite or limited resources of pre-hospital care - drops in blood pressure, loss of volume through further bleeding etcetera

My meaning about the time being important was more so that the follow on carers (at the hospital, or the heli-meds etc) know how long it’s been on for so can plan accordingly - and then it’s also important as the patient can end up passing through multiple hands and times and things can get stretched or distorted inadvertently. 1415hrs can stretch to ‘about 1430’ or ‘I think about 3pm’ if you see what I mean?

I have never put a tourniquet on pre-hospital, but have put them on in hospital (when I used to work in plastics reconstruction and it wasn’t unknown for free flap reconstructions to just let go, and even then it was very rare).

there has been lots of articles to and fro discussing use in civilian trauma (pros and cons) for years, and I don’t actually genuinely expect to need to use one pre-hospital, as the current guidelines still advocate direct pressure in a civilian setting as first line.
Tourniquets or haemostatic agents are for if bleeding cannot be controlled by direct pressure
Thanks for the clarification Ed.
Agreed on all the points you mention.

MrEd

Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thanks for the clarification Ed.
Agreed on all the points you mention.

have added a line in my original post clarifying as well.
If I am honest most first aid situations I find myself are of the minor medical variety (diabetic hypo, faint etc), and anything trauma are very much walking wounded. Slips, trips minor cuts and sprains type stuff. Even then not very often at all, which is fine.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
There are some designed especially for that purpose!
Not an easy to carry dispenser though!
No idea about this supplier, just the first link on a google search

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.