Dressing choices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For a number of years now I have carried some form of field dressing as a significant part of my EDC first aid kit. It lives in the hip pocket of my backpack along with a small zip lock of plasters and my [thread=127274]pot of pills[/thread].

For the last year or so the dressing in that hip pocket has been a small Israeli Defence Force dressing. Fortunately I've never had need for the first aid kit (besides a plaster a couple of times), and so the IDF dressing in my pocket has just been knocking around.

It appears that sticking something in a pocket and carrying it around for a while enacts quite a toll on it's structural integrity, meaning that said dressing now looks like this:

idf_sm.jpg

The vacuum hasn't broken, and I'm pretty sure it's still sterile, but I'm not sure for how much longer. Flipping through the SP Services catalogue I noticed that they do a pair of Trauma dressings, a T4 and a T6. These look like a white version of some of the military field dressings. As I was ordering some stuff from SPS anyway, I decided to get a few, and, rather revolutionary for me, I also decide to order the training version they sell.

t4andidf_sm.jpg

T4 bandage an IDF dressing side by side.

The first thing that struck me when the bandages arrived was that they seemed big. Bigger than I thought they would be. Identifying which one was the Training bandage, I picked it up with one hand, and tore it open with my teeth. (My FAK is aimed at self treatment, so I need to be able to open it and use it on myself).
Inside the white package I found a clear vacuum package, and inside that the dressing.
t4open_sm.jpg

I opened this with my teeth, which seemed to work very well, no undue resistance, and I think I should be able to use it in anger.

Inside the inner clear vacuum pack is a rolled up bandage. I hadn't realised when I ordered it that it would have a plastic clip to hold the thing together, having used it, this is a great idea.

t4unwrapped01_sm.jpg

Unroll the bandage a bit and you find a 100mm x 180mm absorbent pad, and then enough stretchy bandage to mummify half a body...

t4unwrapped03_sm.jpg

As with any First Aid supplies the proof is in the administering, so using one hand and my teeth, I tested out the bandage... on my other arm.

armbandaged01_sm.jpg

armbandaged02_sm.jpg

Seems to work surprisingly well, gave a nice firm compression without being too tight, was easy to apply even with one hand and teeth. (if anyone is wondering, I chose my arm as being easy to photograph, and having no doubt that I'd done it one handed (I chose my left hand as my camera is right handed...)). I had expected it to be harder, and require more practice.

As well as the T4 dressing, they also make a larger T6 dressing that is 150mm x 180mm. I ordered a pair of these to go in my chainsaw kit.

Outside of a first aid course, we tend not to do much further training, or practice with the kit that we carry, after all, most of it is sterile only until opened, and are single use. So next time you're restocking your kit, consider grabbing a training bandage and have a play.

Julia

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
This thread and your fak thread seem like they should be brought together Julia.

i like your starting point (treat yourself), if it will be good for you then it's win-win for somebody needing a help out.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
This thread and your fak thread seem like they should be brought together Julia.

i like your starting point (treat yourself), if it will be good for you then it's win-win for somebody needing a help out.

I split it into two threads intentionally. This thread I wanted to discuss using training dressings and practising with the kit we carry. The other thread is a "this is what I'm carrying" thread where I'm expecting people to point out weaknesses in the contents. I thought it sensible to keep the two discussions separate.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Alternatively, just use the old one as a training aid whenever you restock with a new one.

Yep, that has been my approach in the past, but is sub optimal for a couple of reasons:

1) The manufacture date on these is 2013, and they have an expiry date of 2018, 5 years they can be in your kit, and hopefully not used... 5 years is a long time in pre hospital care, the developments of what is available in that time is surprising. Although that rate of development may slow down now we're officially no longer out in the sand box...

2) Ideally you want to practice with what you carry, if you change kit at restocking, you're practising with something that doesn't match what you carry.

Isn't there a date on these things somewhere?

Yep, these ones have a best before of some time in 2018.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you sometimes think that you over-analyse things?

Yes, entirely. I also have insomnia which gives me considerably more hours of the day to spend over analysing things.

I've spent my entire adult life partaking in activities that many consider dangerous, be it Diving, Caving, Climbing, Cave Diving, Kayaking, cycling. Every one of them requires a clear and concise analysis of the risks involved, and making a judgement on how to act. This can become too much of a habit and lead to over analysing some situations.

But at the same time, If you slipped with a knife and accidentally cut your arm, or thigh. Would you be able to perform the necessary First Aid upon yourself to maximise the chance of surviving?

Same is true with most things. I spent an evening a week for several years running through drills in the pool so that if something went wrong underwater the reaction would be instinct an muscle memory. I did the same with the Kayak. This meant that when my Kayak got tipped over and I couldn't roll it back up again, the action was reflex. The fact I then got trapped upside down in a kayak, complicated things. But first the training kicks in.

Drills. Skills. Right equipment.

Or if you prefer the cliché, train hard, fight easy

etc...

J

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
That is why we have drills - reflexive responses to avoid over-analysis.

Even the diving training teaches series of checks and drills and teaches not to over-analyse and not to apportion blame or dwell obsessively over what went wrong after an incident.

Another acronym is KISS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE