Rustlers Burgers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.....and if you find room, even in the front garden, it makes a pretty bush, I can send you rooted blackcurrant bushes :)
One bush yielded 5kgs this year :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why are modern rolls (buns/baps) mostly like expanded mush ? Soft polystyreney sort of stuff that falls apart when yo try to cut it :dunno: They're dreadful things, would put you right off eating bread. (I find I can eat 'some' bread again :D :D, but I'm damned if I'm going to eat bad bread)
Old fashioned bakers rolls you can get your teeth into, and fill up with salad and such like without them crumbling to froth.

I suppose it's for speed of manufacture and to keep them lasting longer on the shelf :sigh:

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think they'd grow almost anywhere where there was enough water and some light. Mine grow under trees at the side of a 2M high fence. I just keep the ground cleared under them.

I pulled back the ivy to the fence earlier this afternoon, there are at least two branches that have rooted down, but I can pin down more if folks want.
It was a 'named' bush (long forgotten, I'm afraid, it's 20+ years old now) and seems to be as it was advertised, big fruits, lots of them, disease resistant and hardy :D

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
wow! that's pretty serious stuff you got there mate. I will have a look around my garden tomorrow and see where possible beds could be laid. And thank you very much for the offer on seeds, I will ask my wife what she thinks and if some portion of the garden can be put to use! that reminds me, I have some beetroot and raddish seeds in a kitchen drawer that i was meant to plant last sumemr.. :p

You could get all that in your garden - just not the paths in between. With narrow paths certainly 80% of it. Even a 4' wide strip will grow you a years supply of onions and garlic for naff all effort :)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
fat was the recognized culprit as far back as the late 1940s; at least 3 decades before the switch from sugar to high fructose corn syrup. And there is no corn syrup lobby (corn prices are determined by stock market gamblers bidding on "futures." It has absolutely nothing to do with any real world factors oddly.

Corn farmers could care less whether their crop gets used to make corn syrup or cattle feed. To them, corn is corn, is cash. Likewise with processors making corn syrup from the corn; they could care less if it goes into sugary soft drinks or cattle feed (and yes it's replaced molasses as a major component in cattle feeds) Either way it turns into cash.
I was just reciting from memory so a some of what I said may have been off but this article covers should clarify any mistakes I made - http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat

Particularly this paragraph
But another health issue was on the radar: heart disease, and in the mid-70s, a fierce debate was raging behind the closed doors of academia over what was causing it. An American nutritionist called Ancel Keys blamed fat, while a British researcher at the University of London Professor John Yudkin, blamed sugar. But Yudkin's work was rubbished by what many believe, including Professor Robert Lustig, one of the world's leading endocrinologists, was a concerted campaign to discredit Yudkin. Much of the criticism came from fellow academics, whose research was aligning far more closely with the direction the food industry was intending to take. Yudkin's colleague at the time, Dr Richard Bruckdorfer at UCL says: "There was a huge lobby from [the food] industry, particularly from the sugar industry, and Yudkin complained bitterly that they were subverting some of his ideas." Yudkin was, Lustig says simply, "thrown under the bus", because there was a huge financial gain to be made by fingering fat, not sugar, as the culprit of heart disease.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
One of the big issues as i see it is folk invest in cheap trash to feed their kids but drop a fortune on smokes, alcohol and sky tv. Go figure!

Sorry to get back onto the "people can,t afford" topic, but i have to agree with the above statement. Its all about priorities. But i also think what has'nt been mentioned is the dumbing down of the masses,making them dependants on the system. How can the powers that be,seriously expect people to eat healthily when they took cooking out of the school curriculum. My daughter spent 2 years at secondry school without learning to cook,as the goverment decided to drop the subject. Its absolutely unforgivable, when you hear that kids don't know where potatoes come from or what those white fluffy things are in fields(Sheep),and thats no exageration as i heard it with my own ears,from inner city primary school kids.

No wonder the subject of this thread,will be seen as a staple for some family's, the dumbing down is working when people see fags,sky and alcohol higher on their priority agenda and see food further down the list. We are incouraged to come home from work to sit down infront of the telly rather than spending quality time with the family. We as a family have always sat at the table to eat,and the TV is off, sure my kids used to complain, but now they are grown up, and we actually communicate with each other.

I,m sorry but its all to easy for people to fall into the trap, what is needed is education, of the fundementals,to teach people about what we really need to live/survive, and not learned that its all about keeping up with the Beckhams.

PS, i have been on the dole for the past 3 months due to being made redundant, but my eating habits never changed in that time, i still had to pay the mortgage,utility bills, all on dole money, and we still bought healthy foods. Yes sure some of the luxuries had to be kerbed, going to the pub for a pint etc. but we put our priorities first before luxuries. Tv,fags and alcohol are NOT necessities, air,water,shelter,and food ARE.

As i say it all about education.

Oh i am now back in full time employment, infact the folks at the job centre were suprised that i actually wanted to work. I said i have responsibilities to my family,to keep them fed,watered and warm.

Anyway sorry for the rant.

Cheers Stuart.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought we could be a little bit more informed about the ingredients of this "meal":D

Beef Burger (45%) [Beef (75%), Beef Fat, Water, Textured Soya Protein (5%), Dextrose, Flavour Enhancer: E621; Salt, Sugar, Stabiliser: E451; Egg White Powder, Flavourings, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Malt Extract, Yeast Extract, Colour: E150c],

Sesame Seed Bun (41%) [Wheat Flour, Water, Vegetable Oil & Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Yeast, Sesame Seeds, Salt, Sugar, Emulsifiers: E472e, E471; Preservative: E282; Flour Treatment Agent: E300],

Processed Cheese (8%) [Partially Reconstituted Whey Powder, Cheese, Butter, Milk Proteins, Emulsifying Salts: E452, E339, E341, E331; Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Preservative: E200; Colours: E160a, E160c],

Tomato Ketchup (6%) [Tomato Paste, Vinegar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Water, Modified Maize & Potato Starch, Salt, Acidity Regulators: E330, E331; Preservative: E202; Thickeners: E412, E415; Flavouring]

So the meat is very fatty (probably to add flavor back to the cheaoer soya filler) but the bun and the cheese are pretty much the same as regular store bought buns and sliced processed cheese.

"Flavor enhancer" is usually another word for MSG although labelling laws eliminated it's use over here as it masked the true ingredient from those who are allergic.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pleased to hear you're back in work Stuart :D
I agree too though; it's all too easy to surf the supermarket and never really 'make a meal'.

I'm not sure about it being a school thing though; I never got domestic science at school, I got Latin instead :rolleyes: but I cook.
I do firmly believe that the constant battering of advertising drives many folks choices though, and, at the end of the day, most mums work now, so it's easier to just bung something in the oven or microwave.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was just reciting from memory so a some of what I said may have been off but this article covers should clarify any mistakes I made - http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat

Particularly this paragraph

Yes but the atricle's geared toward what's making us fatter. That's not the same thing (in and of itself) as unhealthy. The "unhealthy aspect of too much fat in the diet is that it clogs our ateries thus increasing risk for heart attacks and stroke.

I don't know of anyone (official government agencies, doctors, dieticians, or individulas) who seriously doesn't believe that sugar intake is the single biggest contributor to obesity (which I grant has an ill effect on health; but that's a more indirect effect) The problem with the switch to high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener isn't that is's any worse for us than the regular granulted sugar previously used. Rather it's because it's so cheap that we can afford to consume such vast quantities; especially in the form of sugary soft drinks which are now served with infinite free re-fills over here.

At any rate, as I said, neither the "sugar industry" nor the corn syrup industryreally care. Their cproduct will sell equally well whether it'e as a human food or as a cattle feed to produce fatty meat.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great post Stuart - you have a spot on attitude!

I tend to agree that cooking should be part of the curriculum - to "catch" those kids with inadequate parents - in the same way that reading is. Most kids of my generation learned to read at home before they went to school. Sure school tidied the whole thing up, but kids learned to "sound out" their letters on dad's knee at story time. My daughter got books from me as prizes for learning her alphabet, reading flash card words etc.

Sadly not all kids get taught these things at home, so schools need to pick up the slack. Their job is to educate after all, and I suspect cooking will be far more relevant to most lives than algebra or even trig.

I find in most things if people get a basic grounding in things and realise they "can" do it, then they will continue to learn under their own steam.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Pleased to hear you're back in work Stuart :D
I agree too though; it's all too easy to surf the supermarket and never really 'make a meal'.

I'm not sure about it being a school thing though; I never got domestic science at school, I got Latin instead :rolleyes: but I cook.
I do firmly believe that the constant battering of advertising drives many folks choices though, and, at the end of the day, most mums work now, so it's easier to just bung something in the oven or microwave.

cheers,
M

Hi Mary,thanks, yes its good to be back in work, means i can go for a pint now :D.

Regarding you not getting domestic science at school,but you can cook. But were you taught by your mother or other peer? What i'm saying is, how many kids nowadays have parents that were taught to cook and then take the time to learn their kids.

Its education, sure it might not have been at school,but it may have been at home. How many kids are coming home from school,being sat infront of a TV or computer, rather than spending time in the kitchen learning to cook, learning about ingredients,learning the life skills which they will need in adulthood. I think precious few these days.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your right, Stuart, the number of households I have seen with a plasma telly, a thousand DVDs and the recycling box full of larger tins and pizza boxes.

I wish I was poor enough to live that way.

Glad to see your in work.

(Whats work, BTW??)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cooking is still taught here in the more broad "home economics" class which includes budgetting and sewing as well. It used to be just that, a hom economics class taught almost exclusively to the girls. Now it's evolved into "bachelor survival" for the boys as well. That said, it is and always has been an elective rather than a required class and they only teach the basics.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Cooking is still taught here in the more broad "home economics" class which includes budgetting and sewing as well. It used to be just that, a hom economics class taught almost exclusively to the girls. Now it's evolved into "bachelor survival" for the boys as well. That said, it is and always has been an elective rather than a required class and they only teach the basics.

did you see the jamie oliver series, where he went to america to help change the horrific meals they serve and educate the students? he was barred from nearly every school in the state! and it was shocking, some of the 17-18 year olds didn't know where honey came from..

the show was called 'jamies food revolution'. But I guess each section of the country will have differing rules and redulaitons regarding food and food education. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've seen some of his shows but not that one.

No basicly the school dietary reuirements are standard across the country. Even though tey're mostly regulated at the state level, they all adhere to the FDA guidelines. And since they depend on the "Child Nutririon Program" for a good portion of their funds they also get other federal guidance.

That said, it's much the same over here as Tengu described over there. Much of the foods are prepared in a central county kitchen then sent to the individual schools. The students also get to select their items cafeteria style and rarely ever opt for the healthy items. And yes, the schools do indeed choose the cheapest things they can sfely serve without violating regs. One good cheap protien they used to rely on (peanutbutter) is now a total no-no due to fears of allergies whereas pizza has become a weekly staple.

I doubt they even still serve one of the favorites from my school days (sloppy joes) any more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE