Rustlers Burgers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Burgers!.....

:rofl: :D

I don't it should be up to the schools to teach domestic science. I think that ought to come from home or from self determination. We don't teach the kids to drive, they choose to learn to do so to improve their lifestyles, the same ought to hold true for cooking, etc.,

There's surely enough 'celebrity chefs' around proselytising and missioning the 'good food is easy to make', gospel. TV, magazines, recipes on packets and cans....there's no dearth.

cheers,
M

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Agree with the latter. I don't see it as a school issue, I see it as a parental one.

Trouble is, what happens when the parents are incapable?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

I don't it should be up to the schools to teach domestic science. I think that ought to come from home or from self determination. We don't teach the kids to drive, they choose to learn to do so to improve their lifestyles, the same ought to hold true for cooking, etc.,

There's surely enough 'celebrity chefs' around proselytising and missioning the 'good food is easy to make', gospel. TV, magazines, recipes on packets and cans....there's no dearth.

cheers,
M

Parents don't have enough time to teach kids anymore. People are expected to work longer hours just to stay in a job. No one values the work life balance anymore despite the obvious benefits its brings to mental, physical and educational health.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I don't it should be up to the schools to teach domestic science. I think that ought to come from home or from self determination. We don't teach the kids to drive, they choose to learn to do so to improve their lifestyles...

You don't have Drivers' Education in your schools?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's the National Cycling Proficiency test :D

If you want to learn to drive, you pay to do so privately.......we don't think the car is a necessity of life, tbh. Kids walk to school.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's the National Cycling Proficiency test :D

If you want to learn to drive, you pay to do so privately.......we don't think the car is a necessity of life, tbh. Kids walk to school.

cheers,
Toddy

LOL. My school was 13 miles from my home. A bit far to walk (I rode the school bus until I got my license) My first jobs were even further.

That said, I didn't learn to drive at school either. Nobody does. I learned to drive from my parents years before I was old enough to qualify for a learner's permit (which is a requirement to participate in driver's ed) Back then the minimum age for the learner's permit was 15 (14 if enrolled in driver's ed) and like most kids I learned to drive by 12.

No the point of the class wasn't to learn to drive, but rather to make sure you weren't a danger to others on the road and to qualify for an insurance discount.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

cheers,
M

Ahhh we can disagree on this then. I think there is far too much academic twaddle that is of no use to most peoples daily lives taught in schools. Who cares what an isthmus is...surely it would be more useful to most people to be able to sew on a button or poach an egg?

Many kids are not remotely academically inclined and we make them sit through things they will never need - like algebra - when they could be learning to cook, drive, or plumb in a washing machine.

What use quadratic equations to a lorry driver?

Now I agree things should be taught at home. Reading for example. What kind of five year old cannot already read? But if their parents don't teach them should we say it doesn't matter? If its important they learn reading, why not practical life skills?

The logic of school being solely academic (or nearly so) when many people aren't and need little beyond basic reading, writing and arithmetic escapes me. Why not let them learn things that are useful to them and their aptitudes and inclinations?

I think its this attitude that "practical skills have no value and do not need to be taught" that is at the root of much of this poor eating and other forms of personal incompetence that we see today. They used to be valued - and taught far more in schools, apprenticeships etc. We are poorer as a scoiety for their loss.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The state of food education in schools is not exactly new, I can recall being in year 8 (so the year was 98/99) and was told to bring in for home skill's class a jar of jam a can of spray cream and sponge cake mix from one particular brand. We where taught to make the mix and nothing else, didn't cook it or anything just mixed it up an left it in the bowl and the jam we brought in never got passed back to us so I can only assume it ended up on Toast in the Teachers lounge.

I am lucky in my dad and my mum taught me the basics and then some more and I would now class myself more than capable in the kitchen but looking at the way schools approach food it's laughable. Hell school kitchens in the UK are heavily outsourced to people like OCS they need to run them at a profit so end up serving the lowest quality food they can get away with (yet another example of why outsourcing really don't work), I can't find the link but a 8 year old school girl took photos of what she was given for her school lunch and half of it just looking at it looks inedible.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ahhh we can disagree on this then. I think there is far too much academic twaddle that is of no use to most peoples daily lives taught in schools. Who cares what an isthmus is...surely it would be more useful to most people to be able to sew on a button or poach an egg?

Many kids are not remotely academically inclined and we make them sit through things they will never need - like algebra - when they could be learning to cook, drive, or plumb in a washing machine.

What use quadratic equations to a lorry driver?

Now I agree things should be taught at home. Reading for example. What kind of five year old cannot already read? But if their parents don't teach them should we say it doesn't matter? If its important they learn reading, why not practical life skills?

The logic of school being solely academic (or nearly so) when many people aren't and need little beyond basic reading, writing and arithmetic escapes me. Why not let them learn things that are useful to them and their aptitudes and inclinations?

I think its this attitude that "practical skills have no value and do not need to be taught" that is at the root of much of this poor eating and other forms of personal incompetence that we see today. They used to be valued - and taught far more in schools, apprenticeships etc. We are poorer as a scoiety for their loss.

Ah - disagree entirely! We live in a world where educated people have given us medicine, technology and the internet, through which you're purvreying your dislike of "unnecessary" edumacation! Lucky no-one told them that learning quadratic equations was a waste of time. Ditto us who go out in the field are probably quite happy that geographical types knew what an isthmus was and how to draw it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not saying that academic education is a waste of time - for those with an academic inclination. What I am saying is trying to force everyone down that route is folly and that those who are not academically inclined would benefit from more practical alternatives.

One size does not fit all.

Please don't put words like edjumactation in my mouth - my daughter with her Cambridge law degree doing her masters at Oxford or phd lecturer father will find longer ones. But academic study is not the be all and end all - practical disciplines matter as well!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
................and if joiners, plumbers, electricians don't know how to do their adding up, etc., then we're really stuffed :rolleyes:

I'm old enough to have been at school when secondary came in three levels. The first ones were expected to go to University and were given appropriate background education. The next level were given languages, domestic science and business science (office skills) or Tech, but no Latin, no physics, no 'maths' just geometry and arithmatic. The third level weren't really expected to sit exams, but still were given as broadly based an education as they could absorb, from English to basic numeracy and calculation. Simple science and modern studies.
Then it was decided to go 'comprehensive', and the whole system was dumbed down and clogged with paperwork and personal reviews and attainments included things like managing to do a poster project :rolleyes: .....right enough they took away the belt too, so something good came of it :)

Biology included nutrition; that was enough I reckon to start them thinking about how to obtain it.

At the end of the day, if folk want to cook, they'll learn how; there's no shortage of good examples, it's not rocket science, it's dinner :) If they don't, and simply want to take the easy option, they'll buy the prepackaged quick nuke stuff.
At least they have food; half the world goes without and we throw away vast quantities.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh the old school systems geared to inclination and aptitude were certainly better.

I just think the skill of cooking should not be undervalued. Or the skill of carpentry come to that. I would rather encourage people to do practical things they love than be bored learning Latin! My brother speaks many languages - many self taught. Does that mean that we shouldn't teach foreign languages? There are plenty of self teach materials out there after all. Clearly not. The same applies to people who haven't ever experienced really good cooking, they need to be inspired, shown, challenged. Skills are skills. Practical skills are every bit as valuable as academic ones, all those guys charting the isthmus wouldn't have been doing it without the shipbuilders and cooks.

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I have to agree with BR.

Well there are two sides to the story, i was told by my careers person at secondry school, that because i had no qualifications upon leaving, his words "you may as well go into a factory,as you will amount to nothing in life". Well i have worked all of 27 years, qualified as a chef,got the certificates also, brought up a family, whom some from this forum have met,and commented on how well grounded they are. And i'm trying to get my own business up and running. Not bad for a failure.

I have also seen the other side,we had a mathmatics teacher who was a genius, but because he had never been "educated", he did'nt know how to boil an egg. His common sense had not been developed and the simple mundain things drove him to distraction. Its a catch22 .

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's why comprehensive education was considered to be the best option though; folks like you got didn't get the education you were obviously capable of. The problem was/is that now no one's getting the best education they might.....and I agree, your daughters are a credit to you and your wife, and themselves :D

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ahh the old school systems geared to inclination and aptitude were certainly better.

I just think the skill of cooking should not be undervalued. Or the skill of carpentry come to that.....

So I take it basic shop (carpentry, metal working, electrics, welding, auto mechanics) isn't taught in you schools either?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE