Robin Hood - Origins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here we go again. Please can someone make a decent Robin Hood film. Period correct and actually IN the greenwood. I knew this one was going to be suspect, but wow, not this suspect.

There are a few RH films in the works, last count was five, plus a couple of TV series, one of which will be based on Angus Donald’s superb series of books. Hopefully out of all of these projects in the works, we will get one that doesn’t stink. I have high hopes for the Angus Donald series.

Reactions: PoppyD

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That actually looks like an enjoyable film.

But perhaps something with Assassins creed in the title would be more apt.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I entirely take your points.

My problem is not with the film but the way they felt the need to use the 'Robin Hood' name in making such a movie. Going from the trailer it's already so divergent from the Robin Hood legend as to render it original why not just make it entirely original. Obviously the makers felt that the cachet of the Robin Hood name and familiarity with previous stories would help sell the film, (even to the point of putting Morgan Freeman scars on Jamie Foxx... ).

However at this point I also have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed Guy Ritchie's reselling of Sherlock Holmes. Also the 'Sherlock' BBC modernisation, so I guess maybe it depends on how such retellings are handled and the fact that I am a massive Sherlock Holmes fan...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Jamie Foxx plays Morgan Freeman.
I saw this a few days back and wasn't sure whether the story was meant to be set in the past, or some sort of parallel universe with a future Medieval/Renaissance thing going on.

I think they should just drop the whole idea of any more Robin Hood films. The last one that wasn't big parts lame or preachy had Errol Flynn in it!

Reactions: CLEM

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Not another one - Robin Hood has been redone so often I did start to wonder what they can say now.

As for authenticity, since it's likely Hood never actually existed, it's something of a free for all. And what you tend to find is that money is spent on stunts, boasting about how authentic the bows are, etc, while coming up with the most stupid script ever.

Reactions: Janne

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Hollywood is a complete joke now, movies and tv are now made by committee.

To be fair, films in Hollywood have always been made, to some extent, by committee.

If you look at the hoops and hassle writers and directors had to go through during the studio period and beyond to get a film made, your amazed any interesting got done at all.

The idea of the auteur has always been a bit shaky at the best of times, and when you let directors do what you want, you often end up with expensive deck, or at least self indulgence. The classic book, Final Cut by Steven Back about the making of Heavens Gate, shows what happens when the is not control.

Hollywood makes a lot of films, and a lot of them are dumb. That's for lost of reasons, including studio execs. But people were saying that 90 years ago - some things never change!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
One of the best producers they had until recently was Weinstein.
Check out what movies he produced. Quality.

Because his stupidity with the fairer sex, Hollywood has lost some very good future movies.

Bad movies are made everywhere though.
We saw about 20 minutes of the movie Last Knights with Clive Owen.

Utter rubbish.

Britain has some awsome actors. I think the British film industry overtook Hollywood in quality decades ago.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Have you seen the latest Excuses for Star Wars?

The Princesses are all crimminals, the Hero is a very niave stormtrooper, The bad guy is a thirty year old goff teen with daddy issues and Darth Vader is hiding in his sensory deprivation tank.

(Presumably trying to prove he is a Hipster...)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I liked Rogue One.
The latest one was bad. Really bad.

Not sure about the story line. Was there one?
And I thought Fisher only had filmed a couple of scenes?
Movies are turning to Politically Correct BS.

And most male actors in ‘historic’ movies have a fetish for padded leather clothes.
The ladies for push up bras and dresses to show off their medieval-correct silicone enhanced frontages.

Back to Robin Hood. I liked Robin and Mariam. Mid 1970’.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE