The "PhotoShop" Issue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding about the role of software in digital photography that I see in many places.

A common comment I hear these days is "That's a good photo. It must be all done in PhotoShop." Usually from people who have little or no idea how such software works.

So, let's start from the beginning shall we?

Light bouncing off the subject enters the lens of the camera and is focussed onto a light sensitive sensor. The amount of light is controlled by the shutter speed which determines how long the light affects the sensor and a variable aperture that determines how much light is allowed through the lens.

On most cameras, the sensor itself is made up of many individual receptors each filtered to receive light of one colour, red, blue or green. In a standard Bayer array the green receptors out number the red or blue by a factor of 2:1 which simulates our own eye's increased sensitivity to the green part of the visible spectrum.

Each receptor can only record the amount of light that falls upon it and this information is recorded by the camera's image processor by turning a circuit on or off. The processor usually has 12 such circuits, or sometimes 14, per receptor and it is convenient for us to think of this record as a binary number with either 12 or 14 digits or "bits". ( In 12 bits, 000000000000 would represent no light falling on the receptor and 111111111111 would represent the maximum light the receptor can record. )

This process is repeated for each receptor on the sensor array ( Usually millions of them. ) and this number is passed on to a second processor which either converts the data into a RAW file format for conversion into an image using external software or it makes the conversion itself using software algorithms pre specified by the manufacturer.

The Processor knows which filter the receptor lies under so it can assign this binary number to one of three channels, red, blue or green. By analysing data from the neighbouring receptors it extrapolates to determine how much of the other two light colours is likely to have fallen on that same receptor and assigns binary numbers to the other two channels based upon that assumption.

So, for every receptor on the camera sensor we are given three 12 or 14 bit numbers. 011111111111 011111111111 000000000000 this would represent an amount of yellow coloured light falling on the receptor. ( Half red, half green. )

If the camera is set to produce JEPG. files the data is then reduced to just 8 bits per channel by throwing away some of the data to save space. This process is called compression and in this case it is irrevocable.

This is why a JPEG file is incapable of holding as much image information as a RAW file.

If the camera is set to produce RAW files then the "image" is still just a series of single channel binary numbers. The picture you see on the back of the camera is just a simulation of the JEPG image your camera could produce if it was set that way.

The Raw data needs to be converted into an image by software in a computer which will extrapolate the data with the help of an intelligent processing system called a "Brain". ( This is the part that is lacking in most cameras although sometimes it can be found, unconnected, just a few inches away. )

Such software is often provided by the camera manufacturer or by independent companies such as Adobe or Phase One.

Adobe's product "Lightroom" is on of the most popular such products so will serve as a suitable example.

In Lightroom the RAW data is extrapolated into it's three channel format and the data is displayed on a standard monitor through a simulation profile. (The data is still 12 or 14 bit although the monitor can usually only display 8 bit colour, this process is known as colour management and is a whole kettle of fish I don't want to get deeply into here.)

The software is capable of applying similar algorithms as the manufacture applied in camera but since the manufacturer has no idea what the camera was pointing at when you pressed the button that would be a very unintelligent way to make the conversion.

Statistically, the manufacturer may decide that your subject is probably a bunch of your friends in a karaoke bar in the Far East where as in my case it would be more likely to be a British or Scandinavian Landscape.

The way that the data needs to be interpreted in these two cases would be entirely different and it is this difference of interpretation that overwhelmingly lies behind many peoples disappointment in the result they achieve from their cameras.

So many times I have heard people say that they thought the colours were different or there was more detail when they saw the picture. The fact of the matter is that they are probably correct but the internal processor of the camera thought it was in a karaoke bar and tried to make it look that way.

The really sad thing is that many people start to doubt their own senses or memory because they bought into one of the greatest lies ever told. "The camera never lies..." It does.. It's designed to... It was even the same in the days of film. Different films recorded colour or tone differently and photographers chose their film according to the characteristics they needed.

It's exactly the same with digital cameras. You could line a dozen different cameras up, pointing at the same subject and trigger them all at the same time and the results would be different.

The camera you buy is often an indicator of your demographic and the manufacturers adjust their assumptions of the type of photograph you are likely to take according to your probable demographic.

My camera was designed almost specifically for travel and landscape photography. It is the most accurate for my kind of subject that I have ever used but it would take lousy pictures in a karaoke bar.

Coming back to our Lightroom conversion, the software allows us to tweak the algorithms to adjust the exposure, tonality and colour using the intelligent processor behind our eyes to produce an interpretation that may or may not match our perception of the scene we were pointing the camera at.

Some people choose to exaggerate certain aspects of the image for effect, some people strive for a faithful rendition. In practice most of us fall somewhere in between due to subjective issues.

The image displayed on the screen at this point is still just a simulation, the accuracy of which depends on whether you are using a calibrated monitor or not. The data needs to be converted into a file format that can be read by other programs. This could either be a compressed format such as JEPG for display on the internet or a file format such as a 16 bit TIFF which is capable of containing all the data recorded by the camera. (This is the option I usually use, only converting small low quality display images to JEPG for the internet.)

Now, at last, we have something that is closer to a picture even though it still needs to be interpreted by a computer to be displayed. (Let's hope the person viewing the image has also calibrated their monitor or they may see something very different from what you are seeing.)

This is the image that can now be edited in PhotoShop.

It's a long way from that light bouncing off the subject now.

PhotoShop is another software product made by Adobe. In the right hands it is capable of producing fantastic images or it is capable of correcting inaccuracies produced by limitations in the photoelectric systems of our cameras.

One person might use it to depict a unicorn winning the Grand National while another might use it to combine differently exposed frames to record the wider range of tones that our eyes can see but a camera sensor cannot.

One use is no more worthy than the other, it is purely down to the skill and intention of the photographer.

My intention is to record my impression of what it was actually like to be in a particular place at a particular time. Sometimes I can do that with one frame sometimes It will require more. Sometimes I may remove distracting elements, sometimes I may add or change something that I could not render properly at the time. In the end it all comes down to integrity. I have all the skills and technology needed to produce fantasy images if I wanted but I choose to illustrate reality instead.

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I quite enjoyed reading that.

Here's a photoshopped image of mine although to be fair there's a few other programs it's gone through as well....

CompositeBBHiResRedFwdStbd_FotoSketcherWatercolour_zps18575714.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
An excellent post Gary, especially as it follows on so nicely from the talk you did at the moot about understanding the basics of our cameras
Thanks for the time and effort putting it together goodjob

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think there is a growing gap between traditional photography and what can be achieved now
When an image is 'photoshoped' to me it changes form
I see it no different to an artist painting. artists of old used to change the surroundings to make a better picture on canvas - move a tree from behind to infront or from right to left. It helps balance the picture. It's no less a masterpiece for it and is considered artistic license.
Similarly, when a photographer takes a picture and adds something or combines several pictures together to make and improved version, it doesn't detract from it but changes from an exact representation to the artistic impression of the subject.
Had it been around at the time I wonder if Constable or other famous artists would have used a camera - at least in part.

perhaps the difference between a image and a painting...

Not detracting from the skill of the artist - you still need to start with a decent picture after all

Just my humble opinion...

Great post, will really help people get a better understanding of process of digital photography.

Working with raw or multiple raws us great when trying to replicate and emphasise what you saw in the scene you photographed. the human eye does such and incredible job with extreme and low light conditions.

It is nice to work also with lenses that allow you to capture images with optics that are beyond what the human eye optics cans perceive.

As with any form of art, what is seen/heard by the artist and the observer/listener is completely subjective and open to all sorts of interpretation pretty fascinating subject.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think there is a growing gap between traditional photography and what can be achieved now
I see it no different to an artist painting. artists of old used to change the surroundings to make a better picture on canvas - move a tree from behind to infront or from right to left. It helps balance the picture. It's no less a masterpiece for it and is considered artistic license.
Similarly, when a photographer takes a picture and adds something or combines several pictures together to make and improved version, it doesn't detract from it but changes from an exact representation to the artistic impression of the subject.
Had it been around at the time I wonder if Constable or other famous artists would have used a camera - at least in part.

Not detracting from the skill of the artist - you still need to start with a decent picture after all

Ansel Adams if one of my great photographic heroes and usually associated with "Traditional Photography" but he was very exited about the possibilities presented by what he called "Electronic" photography.

These sorts of alteration have always been possible, I used to muck about with my images a lot in the darkroom just as many other photographers did. The only difference is that it has become a bit easier and more controllable now.

As you say, no different from what artists have been doing for centuries.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

lets go back a step then.
If you shoot pictures on a roll of film in one of these (I love this camera) and it is colour print film.

Camera and light meter 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

If I take a shot in the karaoke bar then a Scandinavian landscape and put the film in for processing they use a big machine that just like a digital camera takes my shots averages out the colours and my Landscape may just be OK and the bar shot looks terrible.

I this instance the negative is my RAW file and the machine is doing what the camera does when it produces a Jpeg.

If I am a keen amateur with my own colour darkroom (not easy) I can correct the colour for each shot I adjust the exposure on the paper on each shot even in local areas if I ma really skilled and with a set of inks I can colour in certain spots I could also blend on sky with another landscape.

I can also do all those things much easier with a software program in much less time I happen to use a program that is called Photoshop.

Here is a shot I processed in photoshop so you could say it was Photoshopped.

Wasp by alf.branch, on Flickr

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have two, not issues, but concerns with the ubiquitious 'photoshopping'.
Firstly, I am an archaeologist, we preserve for posterity the sites we excavate, by recording them. Part of that recording is photographic.
Plain just what's there, no removal, no additions, no enhancement of special features, just simply a true recording of what is actually there. Such photographs are used across many industries, from insurance, to civil engineering, from crime scenes to truthful journalism.

Secondly, from a social historian's point of view, photoshopped and edited images of people often reflect a social ideal and not the reality of the entire 'warts and all'. While that is also true of much of the 'art' of the past, that art wasn't really purporting to be anything but art.....we use photographs on our driving licences, our passports, etc.....again, that has to accurately reflect the reality of the individual.

I think both points one and two are perhaps why there are comments about photoshopping that Gary feels he has to explain. (I think his explanation is excellent though :D )
He is using his photography to add in other dimensions, that of the spirit of place, the mood of the company, to give a long deep breath of time rather than a blink of the eye.

I think both have their place, both have their strengths, both need careful application of the technology, but sometimes the definitions aren't clear and folks somehow think it's cheating. It's not, it's skill.

cheers,
Toddy

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have two, not issues, but concerns with the ubiquitious 'photoshopping'.
Firstly, I am an archaeologist, we preserve for posterity the sites we excavate, by recording them. Part of that recording is photographic.
Plain just what's there, no removal, no additions, no enhancement of special features, just simply a true recording of what is actually there. Such photographs are used across many industries, from insurance, to civil engineering, from crime scenes to truthful journalism.

Secondly, from a social historian's point of view, photoshopped and edited images of people often reflect a social ideal and not the reality of the entire 'warts and all'. While that is also true of much of the 'art' of the past, that art wasn't really purporting to be anything but art.....we use photographs on our driving licences, our passports, etc.....again, that has to accurately reflect the reality of the individual.

I think both points one and two are perhaps why there are comments about photoshopping that Gary feels he has to explain. (I think his explanation is excellent though :D )
He is using his photography to add in other dimensions, that of the spirit of place, the mood of the company, to give a long deep breath of time rather than a blink of the eye.

I think both have their place, both have their strengths, both need careful application of the technology, but sometimes the definitions aren't clear and folks somehow think it's cheating. It's not, it's skill.

cheers,
Toddy

How do they make an accurate record especially the colour?

This however was no easier with film btw.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
When I first got a digital camera back in the days when a one mega pixel camera was a luxury only the rich could afford I was forever playing with software and did so for years. Now I hardly bother to do anything with an image other than cropping. For me the instant crop has been the breakthrough in making my photographs so much more interesting and attractive to look at. The cropping tool is the one thing I could not want to lose under any circumstances.

xylaria

Toddy that is scientific recording, like botanical art is has a purpose above asthetics. I do quite a bit of image recording for id perposes, and I am quite a competent botanical artist. Line drawn with wash is still used in id guides. Traditional photography cant get the details often enough. A manipulated image probably could. For example flowers and fungi are generally shown on white or cream with no background. Easy to do with traditional art is now probably easy with digital photos. What I am getting at it is possible to get a scientific image with more clearly presented information.
The only problem is I have seen shots of 20 foot giants dug up in a archaeological dig in iran. I saw the pictures on the net so it must be true

Thanks for op very informative, it dont see the difference between fiddling with the processing to adjust the light level and other traditional techniques and what is done with digital. It is all art to me.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Actually Mary I have even seen PhotoShop used to enhance contrast on aerial photographs to highlight sub-surface features shown by crop patterns and I've also seen old photographs restored using PhotoShop too.

Most journalists and forensic photographers routinely use software to handle contrast and tonal issues as well. Software has to be used to correct the differences in colour between sunlight, cloudy and artificial light for example. It can either be done in camera or in computer but it has to be done and that is an "alteration" in the purest sense.

These days even film is routinely scanned and printed digitally which means that similar processes are being used.

A friend of mine is fond of saying that there is no point complaining about the air if it's the only thing you have to breathe.

Photography has been steadily progressing since Nicéphore Niépce pointed his camera obscura out of his window in the 1820s.

My sentiments are as old school and traditional as they get but even I realise that grumbling about how things used to be will never bring them back.

What remains is the integrity of the photographer.

A good journalist would never fake a news image. A forensic photographer would stand on oath that his work is accurate and a good landscape photographer will often travel miles, to be at a location just as the light is at it's best.

It's actually quite insulting when somebody then says "That's not real." just because they have never seen it look like that.

It's much like saying "That's a good photo, you must have an expensive camera..."
steaming.gif
The most important part of any camera is the photographer behind it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How do they make an accurate record especially the colour?

This however was no easier with film btw.

We take two photos from the same position, hopefully with the same light, one black and white, and one colour.
They become part of the record, just as our drawings do.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aerial photography is a very different thing; it's not site record....they become additions to it, but they are part of the pre-excavation investigation.
There the fact that we can adjust the photographic image is a bonus, and it is an incredibly useful tool, but it's not always a true reflection of what is actually there; it's an enhancement of features.

M

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fiona, we do the same thing when we draw and record. Ours have to be very accurately sited too though so that scale and relationships are clearly established.
I too draw my botanical samples :) It's a kind of old fashioned but incredibly useful tool :D

M

Wayland

Hárbarðr
What format are such images recorded in?

What gamma settings are used on the monitor?

If they are printed, does the printer handle the profiling or the software?

I would still maintain that with film or file it is impossible to make a photographic image without some manipulation of the data.

At the very core of the matter is the fact that you have turned a three dimensional "reality" into a two dimensional "record".

The only thing you can do is properly understand the limitations of the medium and try to work around them where you can.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A great explanation - one question ... where do I buy the "brain" you mention?
My current one seems incapable of making good photos!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To my mind there are two types of manipulation. One involves correcting errors in the photograph - be that "red eye", colour balance, exposure etc. That is akin to the type of correction done in the dark room (as is enlargement, cropping etc.)

The other type involves creating an image that does not accurately reflect what was there at the time the photograph was taken. This can be inserting elements into the image that were not there originally, removing image components (the annoying brightly dressed person in the landscape) etc. This type of image is perhaps what some refer to as "like a painting". Its certainly a composition - a work or pleasing fiction perhaps. I have no problem with this, provided that the "artist" makes clear that the image is a creation rather than an accurate representation. I think the lack of honesty in this (for example the "airbrushing" of models in fashion magazines) can have sinister, untruthful and potentially dangerous consequences. Clearly this is less of an issue with a mushroom - but if it leads a forager to make a bad identification then its still bad.

Perhaps what we need is some transparency in the Exif data that shows when an image has been manipulated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE