The "PhotoShop" Issue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Here is another interesting example. These are stills taken from motion picture recording but the principle remains the same.

b.jpg

a.jpg

b2.jpg

a2.jpg

This material is filmed in LOG format which is movie equivalent to RAW files and that is the "Flat" looking frames you see are what is described as "Straight out of the camera" (It still has to be processed for us to even see that of course.)

The more natural looking frames are the result of final processing to render the footage.

This is probably the closest you could get to demonstrating the difference between a raw capture and a image ready for display.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
It's much like saying "That's a good photo, you must have an expensive camera..."
steaming.gif
The most important part of any camera is the photographer behind it.
I use everything from digital rangefinders through to 10x8 film cameras. I am tinkering with wet plate next.
One of the best pictures I have taken was with a £10 waterproof disposable camera! won prizes with it also!
I hate contests now. I take photographs for me. if someone else likes them, great, If not so what?
Digital and film are different and both good. But as with any tool, over use of them tends to 'kill' the object. Bit like over working a painting.

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"a good photographer with an iPhone would out-perform a twit with a Leica any day..."
I like that - seen lotsa twitz with Leicas etc...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Digital photography has brought huge numbers of people into the world of captured images.
That is a real plus. What they want to be clever with in manipulation is of no concern of mine.

Still shooting nothing smaller than 6x9 B&W silver, I do not long for the instant gratification. I know that
I applied the Zone System effectively, I`ll soup the 4x5`s one at a time. I expect to dodge and burn in the
darkroom like I have done for nearly 60 years.
At the end of the day, I do less and less retouching as I need to make the viewers understand that really big (32 x 40)
B&W silver, analog prints are the real deal - real big and real sharp and no grain. (so sorry: pixels)

DigitalÉ Just another way of doing things. Thrust and pushed on me but tasteless no matter how much garlic there is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE