Day Out In The Sussex Sunshine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a nice relaxing day our with Hugo & Rockmonkey today, we started off by taking a long(ish) walk into one of our favoured spots up in the woods, on the way in we collected some materials for the challenge of the day, more on that later, we also passed one of the best looking shelters we have found in these woods, although the leaning trunk it was constructed against, was a bit suspect

DSCN9291.jpg

Out of the first section of woodland and time to start heading up hill, thankfulyl we only had to spend a few minutes out in the blazing sunshine, before we headed back into the woods

DSCN9294.jpg

DSCN9296.jpg

up past the Official Mountain Bike trails, some of these scare the poop out of me walking them, let alone going at speed on a bike - mad fools:rolleyes:

DSCN9298.jpg

DSCN9299.jpg

a quick dash out of the woods again and into the Coombe where we were met with a dazzling display of Orchids

DSCN9313.jpg

Shortly after we were in our spot for the day, hammocks up and a brew on, it was time to set about today's bushy challenge, last week we did the bow drill, this week it was the hand drill, with Elder drills collected on the way in, we needed hearth material, so up slope to the Clematis and a section of dead standing was soon obtained

DSCN9322.jpg

Looking through the woods, it was lovely being up here today,

DSCN9328.jpg

no time to waste though, back to camp and it was time for RM & myself to make our sets, Hugo couldnt partake of the hand drill due to an injury he had collected earlier in the week, so with hearths fashioned and the drills smoothed off, it was time to start spinning.

DSCN9342.jpg

I had a few attempts at the hand drill today, but try as i might i coiuldnt get an ember, i think the drill i was using was a bit too far gone, as although i could produce smoke a plenty, the ember was not forthcoming

DSCN9374.jpg

We knew that RM's hand drill set was too punky as the drill just disintegrated as soon as he started spinning it up, still live and learn, it's not a failure, it's a learning experience, just to make sure i hadn't lost the knack, i grabbed my normal drill set when i got home and went out in the garden where i made a coal in five passes of the drill, again, elder on clematis.

So with the challenge over it was obviously time to carve something

DSCN9386.jpg

You really have to admire Hugo's preparation though, he is the only guy i know who applies a dressing BEFORE he starts carving

DSCN9392.jpg

Time was marching on and getting late in the day so we packed all our stuff away and headed out of the woods, via the scenic route

DSCN9397.jpg

DSCN9409.jpg

Quick look back

DSCN9412.jpg

and then back to civilisation

DSCN9415.jpg

Another superb day out, oh yes, we collected wild strawberries on the way back, that my dad then enjoyed for his afters at dinner tonight

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Superb day out with some great company, great fun with the hand drill, and plenty of hot coffee to keep us full of caffeine!
Thanks to Kep for the ongoing photo's and commentary.
Looking forward to next bimble already
The days are never long enough!

RM

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Was a grand day out guys, thanks again for the good banter and company.
Going to rest the hand this week so as to be able to do some descent carving on the next outing together.

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Hi Kepis. Looks like a fine ramble. The countryside thereabouts looks really nice. Is this 'typical' countryside? I ask because my family is originally from the Brighton/Lewes area. Wish google earth would work on my laptop, could zoom right in...
Nice pics!
Cheers
Alex

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi Kepis. Looks like a fine ramble. The countryside thereabouts looks really nice. Is this 'typical' countryside? I ask because my family is originally from the Brighton/Lewes area. Wish google earth would work on my laptop, could zoom right in...
Nice pics!
Cheers
Alex

Exactly that, if you look at the last photo in the post that looks out over the town, the line of hill you see runs from the back of Brighton and as you go along the ridge it heads down towards Lewes

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
That's great! This is where my people come from...kind of inspiring. One day, if the Fates permit it, I'll be rambling along those same hills.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE