RM and where to get his favorite Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
OldJimbo said:
The parangs from Valiant are larger, and in my opinion far too dangerous to use unless a person knows the draw cut and what they are capable of - before ever trying to use one. The best blades to start with from Valiant are the smaller goloks.
When you have mastered the draw cut (and this will come naturally because the blades are designed for it), even the small blades are capable of incredible work.

Seen the new Parang Bandol, Jimbo? Looks similar to the blade profile of RM’s, and a nicely cranked handle position too, though I imagine that it has a somewhat thicker cross-section.

Best regards,
Paul.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
I am getting a bandol soon. It is a long time I have been asking wandi to produce a shorter parang, like the RM one, and he did it. Had no time until now to get one, (got a bit "kukri" focussed recently) but this is going to be resolved soon, evaluation coming soon after...

leon-1

BOD said:
Thanks.

Pretty similar to mine except I have the thrusting tip option :)

I am not surprised, it probably came from the same place or literally just up the road :), IIRC the parang that Ray is using in that particular bit of film was a gift from one of his instructors that had spent some time out in your part of the world.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Well, I did email WL and asked about the parang Ray uses. The answer was that they have no information on Ray's parang. He buys one in the country he is filming in and does not bring it home! While that sure makes sense, especially in this age of hardcore security when traveling, it sure seems like each jungle show Ray makes, he is apparently using the same parang. Maybe it is just my old eyes though. From what I have seen in my limited travels, each jungle area of the world seems to favor very different styles of machete/parang blades.
I know if I was going back to the jungle as a civilian, I would try to send my blade of choice ahead to someone to hold until my arrival.
Anyway, thought you may be interested in what WL told me. Nowadays I think I only want a parang because I want one, not a practical reason really:) Cheers!

leon-1

wizard said:
From what I have seen in my limited travels, each jungle area of the world seems to favor very different styles of machete/parang blades.

This is a good observation, Ray also used a Martindale in Kenya and when I was out there the only place I saw one was with the QM's. The type in the picture is almost typical of the ones that I have seen from Borneo and Brunie.

The guy that was supposed to have been the donor of that parang would of had plenty of option to of picked up one or two.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
TheGreenMan said:
You're welcome, and what are the shipping rates from Boreno to the UK like, BOD? (just kidding :)).

Best regards,
Paul.

Seriously though I'd be happy to get you an off the shelf or a specially commissioned one if you like. A number of people have got stuff from the smithys here.

The parang is only about 15 pounds depending on style / wood but as you say the shipping rates are a bit more than that as I discovered when I sent off a pile of stuff to Holland recently

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
bod, that spounds like a shortcut to starting a stampeed!

interestingly though. at the end of ray's recent series about wild foods in the uk, he has a big thank you pig roast for all the folks who helped out. he carves the roast pig with a parang! :cool: so he must've bought at least one back with him.....

cheers, and.

"Seen the new Parang Bandol, Jimbo? "
Sorry to be late in replying.
I haven't seen one yet but it's time I got a few more blades. We'll soon see what JM thinks of it.
I do have a pic:
parangbandol.jpg

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
JM said:
I am getting a bandol soon......

Well, I'd like to get one too, but they're all 'sold out' at the moment :rolleyes:

JM said:
...It is a long time I have been asking wandi to produce a shorter parang, like the RM one, and he did it....

Nice going, JM. It's good to hear that manufacturers take notice of the requests made by experienced users. I particularly like the cranked handle, I imagine it would be of great help when chopping material on a flat surface such as an axe block etc.

JM said:
...evaluation coming soon after...

Looking forward to that.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
BOD said:
Seriously though I'd be happy to get you an off the shelf or a specially commissioned one if you like. A number of people have got stuff from the smithys here...

That's a very kind offer, BOD. Thank you.

I'll be in touch by PM to discuss the possibilities, sometime in the next few days.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
OldJimbo said:
...Sorry to be late in replying...

No problem, Jimbo. I'm finding it difficult to keep track of things myself, since we no longer have email notifications.

OldJimbo said:
...but it's time I got a few more blades...

I'm pretty new to the world of edged tools, but I'm rapidly discovering that one can't have too many :) I find the learning process is truly absorbing. I've developed an interest in steel, design and materials that is playing havoc with the personal finances, but what can a chap do?

OldJimbo said:
...We'll soon see what JM thinks of it.

Indeed!

Best regards,
Paul.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Ok, I got one of the Valiant parangs, almost like the one I posted a pic of. I got it from ebay from a seller close by and received it quickly. It did not cost too much, so that is good. I will say the quality of the piece is excellent, well made and finished. The sheath is a one piece wooden affair, likely mahogany. The handle is a carved piece of water buffalo horn or something like that. My overall impression is that this is more a piece of art for a collector or something to hang on the wall and not a good tool for the jungle!
I say that because it is so well finished and because it is heavy with thick steel blade. The sharpened edge is good, a convex grind but out of a 17in blade only about the tip 10 inches is sharpened. The blade near the handle is tapered to the edge, thus cannot be sharpened without major grinding and retempering probably. Although the pics illustrated the finish and the fancy handle well, I was still hoping for a more useable blade.
Old Jimbo made a good point, some of the blades are too long too! This one is about 17 inches and that is about 2 to 3 inches more than necessary and again only about 10 to 11 inches are sharpened with 6 to 7 inched of useless steel toward the handle.
So, again, I will seek a parang with about a 14 inch blade like the one RM prefers and I have no clue where to get one! Cheers all!

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
TheGreenMan said:
Well, I'd like to get one too, but they're all 'sold out' at the moment :rolleyes:

Paul, I know that Wandi is receiving a small shipment very soon. you know the rule, first arrived, first served, I advise to email or phone him ;-)

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Actually, I have gone into making my own parangs, this is 9" in 2.5 mm thick steel, weights 310 grams only. It is easy to make and works great... but is it only a short machete.

dscf3493fi4.jpg

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
Er, everyone is far more experienced than me.
But, is it that much of a problem to put tools in the hold of an aircraft?
I took a waiter size SAK, a locking blade SAK (climber model?) and a Fallkniven F1 to Japan. No problems asked. (been here 4 weeks now teaching, think I'll stay for ever here with my Japanese lass).
OK they weren't big choppers or anything. But I think it's reasonable to take such things. I also had a spinning rod with me as well as some hiking gear. I could explain why I had and needed these things.
If you go on an adventure holiday isn't it reasonable to have a sheath knife and chopper. I mean you'll have all the other associated gear as well right? Big rucksack, maps, compass, mozzie net, sleeping bag, cooking stuff etc...
Can we let a bunch of nutters rule the air?
I'm sure security aren't that unreasonable are they?
Best regards to everyone.
Yorkshire Boy.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
JM said:
Paul, I know that Wandi is receiving a small shipment very soon. you know the rule, first arrived, first served, I advise to email or phone him ;-)

Thanks for the 'heads up', JM. I'll email him.

Nice work on the small parang/golok, by the the way!

Perhaps you would be so good as to post a link to this thread (or start a new thread in this forum) when you review the Bandol (just in case some of us miss it elsewhere), JM.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
wizard said:
...it sure seems like each jungle show Ray makes, he is apparently using the same parang. Maybe it is just my old eyes though...

It’s not your old eyes, Wizard. I imagine you just haven’t seen all the programmes in which RM uses a parang/golok/machete style blade. If memory serves me, I’ve seen him use the parang illustrated in the pics in post #13 in several programmes, and in another I’ve seen him use a Martindale No 2 Golok, and in yet another, a small machete that looks similar to one of the 12” Ontario’s (but without the black coating).

wizard said:
... I only want a parang because I want one, not a practical reason really...

I heard that! (not much call for a machete in the concrete jungle of London, UK :) )

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE