Small Puukko / Scandi information

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello All , Bit of a long shot , just putting the feelers out to see if any forum members on here make their own small Puukko / Scandi style knives . I used to at one time but havnt got the equipment anymore or the energy . I am looking at if possible getting my hands on a small ( 4" blade ) puukko made from reindeer antler , carbon steel blade , leather scabbard / sheath for top half with an antler of bone angled bottom portion as in the Sammi style .
Thanks

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I am looking at if possible getting my hands on a small ( 4" blade ) puukko made from reindeer antler , carbon steel blade , leather scabbard / sheath for top half with an antler of bone angled bottom portion as in the Sammi style .
Quite a few makers in Lapland make those, last time I checked prices in EUR 90-100 range.

Reactions: airborne09

Kato28

Jan 27, 2021
London
Lamnia sells plenty of options at all price ranges.

You can also go for a Malanika Puukko if the budget allows it, you can request the handle material, as well as the blade steel.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Lamnia sells plenty of options at all price ranges.

You can also go for a Malanika Puukko if the budget allows it, you can request the handle material, as well as the blade steel.

Thanks for your reply Kato28 . Yeh those Erappu puukkos from Lamnia are nice for production knives but most are out of stock at present . That is the pre VAT price then there is the not cheap postage to UK , then on top of that UK customs are being silly again lately and returning to sender many knives even from Europe ! The Malinika knives are also very nice but I would imagine with a heafty price tag ( no prices on website ) . The Nylund knives are great but once again not cheap ( but what isnt these days ) . Strange but today I came across a puukko / scandi knife I must have made twenty years ago or more , beautiful robust and solid little knife with a Thuya burl hidden tang handle with black buffalo horn and white bone and brass spacers , and guess what , a very nice hand forged Nylund blade . I have some leather left and will be sending for some wide enough wood scales to make a Saami style sheath where the lower section (wood) can be shaped into the angled piece you see on these sheaths .
Only problem is I need scales at least 3" to 3 1/2" width to make that angle and its hard to get scales of that width in the UK so might have to send off ebay to China .

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Thanks for your reply Kato28 . Yeh those Erappu puukkos from Lamnia are nice for production knives but most are out of stock at present . That is the pre VAT price then there is the not cheap postage to UK , then on top of that UK customs are being silly again lately and returning to sender many knives even from Europe ! The Malinika knives are also very nice but I would imagine with a heafty price tag ( no prices on website ) . The Nylund knives are great but once again not cheap ( but what isnt these days ) . Strange but today I came across a puukko / scandi knife I must have made twenty years ago or more , beautiful robust and solid little knife with a Thuya burl hidden tang handle with black buffalo horn and white bone and brass spacers , and guess what , a very nice hand forged Nylund blade . I have some leather left and will be sending for some wide enough wood scales to make a Saami style sheath where the lower section (wood) can be shaped into the angled piece you see on these sheaths .
Only problem is I need scales at least 3" to 3 1/2" width to make that angle and its hard to get scales of that width in the UK so might have to send off ebay to China .

Varustaleka have quite a range of Woodsknife Leukus/Puukkos in, and they are shipping to UK again.

The Woodsknife Patrol 90 https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/woodsknife-patrol-90-puukko-knife/66970 has a 3.5 inch blade and is somewhat "upgraded" in finish compared to the other Woodsknife puukos, it's a slightly more modern take on them. Handle is a good length and sits well in the hand. (Yes, I bought one very recently i.e. within the past month).

Shipping from 'leka was via UPS age verified and although it was a tad slow it's tracked all the way. The trick seems to be to keep your spend below £135 (without VAT) which means that 'Leka pay VAT on your behalf and add it on the bill, and then it comes straight through customs pre-cleared. With shipping, the Woodsknife Patrol is less than £85 delivered. I thought that was excellent value, impression so far is that it feels like a lot of knife for the price although admittedly I have yet to get chance to use it properly.

GC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE