RM and where to get his favorite Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
When in the military and training in a few jungles, I came to rather enjoy the climate and the beauty of the jungle life. It sure can have some moments of extreme discomfort though!
I tried a few machetes to see which was a reliable, functional tool and came to the conclusion immediately that the US military machete was not real good, although sturdy. I next got a hold of a Martindale UK machete and liked it somewhat better after spending some hours reworking the handle and oiling the wood. I also tried a local one from Panama, long and heavy toward the tip, commonly known as a Bolo. It certainly had good reach because it was about 24 inches in blade. Took a little getting used to swinging that much blade around and for camp chores was difficult to work with, I am sure that was from my lack of experience with the blade.
So, after seeing Mr. Mears and his rain forest outings, excellent information BTW, I really liked the style of Parang he has chosen. I had not seen one quite like it so I started to do a little searching around to try to find more information. It appears to be a design developed and commonly used in Borneo and available in a variety of blade sizes.
SInce I am not likely to vacation in Borneo anytime soon, way too far away and I am too old to tackle that primitive an environment, I searched for a source of a fine Borneo Parang and came up with one that I think can fill the desire to own a quality RM style Parang! Not cheap, but excellent quality it would appear. Our friend OldJimbo has a similar one in Damascus steel.
Ok, I babble on here! This is where I found a nice Parang, in Australia.

http://www.valiantco.com/

leon-1

Thanks wizard.

I do not know for sure, but you may be able to get hold of one of the actual ones that ray uses from Woody, I seem to recall that Woody had arranged a buy for them once before because of interest on here.

Someone had asked what the parang was and Woody told them, what it was where they were from and effectively anything else they wanted to know about them.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Thanks Leon-1! I never have had much luck ordering stuff from WL. I once got some DVDs and that went ok but a few years back I tried to order a RM knife, the Wilkenson one and some other items and it locked up my credit card solid! I had to call my bank to get it unlocked. Seems the service that WL uses to process credit transactions has had problems with false cards enough that my USA bank won't deal with them. Too bad because I am sure that hurts WL from selling to some people. It has kept me from trying to order there again. I wish I could, there are some items I would really like to get a hold of on the WL site. I don't even have any luck emailing WL!
Reality is, I am not likely to need another Parang either:) Although there is a group that has some outings to the Osa Penisula in Costa Rica that I have been considering. The whole travel thing by aircraft has become such a pain since the 9/11 attacks. I sort of travel by car now and driving to Costa Rica is not an option!
I will try again to email WL and see what I get back, thanks for the info, it may work out, we shall see:)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I did see that! Looks Phillipine style. I know a fellow SF guy that uses that style, also a very good tool. Weight to the tip seems to make the best all-around Parang! I will keep a look out for the progress on the BCUK Parang development. There are some very talented people here for sure!

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
If only you had asked about this about this time next year, as I am saving my 'parang money' for a trip to borneo in 2008. I could have brought you back one! :rolleyes:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have a friend who was out in Borneo for a few weeks, you could pick a parang up for under a fiver out there, problem was getting it home afterwards.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Funny you should be talking about Parang's because I have just been looking at one Stewart Marsh had made :You_Rock_
He explained that he and his friend use them when out hunting but found the one's you can buy too soft.
So Stew showed me one he had made himself! :lmao:
Looked fantastic :lmao: and very sharp :eek:
Not sure if he would make one's to sell but if folk's were interested then maybe he would ;)
:bye:
PS He just put a new handle on my S.M.Big boy it looks the dog's :You_Rock_
Its in giraffe bone with red liners! :D

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have 2 of Stewart's excellent knives! Bought a 3rd for my son last year. I should email Stew and ask to see his Parang. I bet he would make me one if I was persistent enough! Stew is a very nice person and really a fine knifemaker!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Someone asked what RM's parang looked like, pretty close to this one

ParangLading.jpg

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
BOD said:
Just out of curiousity could someone let me know what RMs favourite parang looks like?

TIA

Here you go BOD. They’re rather poor quality, but the video resolution on the DVD is poor also.

cap001.jpg

cap002.jpg

cap003.jpg

cap004.jpg

cap005.jpg

cap006.jpg

Nice tool. I’d like one.

Best regards,
Paul.

The parangs from Valiant are larger, and in my opinion far too dangerous to use unless a person knows the draw cut and what they are capable of - before ever trying to use one. The best blades to start with from Valiant are the smaller goloks.
When you have mastered the draw cut (and this will come naturally because the blades are designed for it), even the small blades are capable of incredible work.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Boland,

It is a fantastically powerful cut combining the power of an impact (chopping) action with the cutting power of a pull (slicing) cut. In the hands of a skilled user a light, thin, blade can out cut a far heavier impact blade. Its hellish dangerous when it first happens as, unkowingly, your parang sails through a thick sapling in a single cut!

I have heard of and seen it but I rarely use such blades and have not personally achieved it.

A frightening thing if you aren't expecting it!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not sure it could be achieved with a Khuk, although they are an incredible tool in the right hands. Old Jimbo or JM in France know much more about this than me - hopefully they will chip in

Red

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
I reckon 11 to 13 inches of blade is what RM uses.

Kukris can do some good things too, though I find them a bit more dangerous for me, because they glance more easily with my style. With the kukri, in general,you give a twist of the wrist forward and it does the reverse of a draw cut, with parangs and goloks, you pull slightly on the blade, or maintain a sabre round motion. That and a pure convex blade can make the cut VERY efficient !

The trouble is that you'd cut a 6 " sapling without the blade even feeling it. we have had reports of at least one guy cutting a tree, and hitting the hand on the other side, because the blade did not stop as expected. Once you understand that, you just do not let any part of you in the trajectory, or possibly use a hard wood baton to complete the protection. ;)

Any way, a safe way of using these blades is to simply speed them up and let them impact, if you add force or push at impact, you risk glances, deflections and injuries.

But do not focus only on the RM parang. yes, it is a good size, yet a lot of big blades will perform the same, golok, parangs, kukri, machetes, if properly tuned. One of the most common characteristics of an efficient big blade, is a thin edged convex blade.

And please do not go into paying the blade an incredible amount of pounds, like people do for the woodlore knife just because it is has the "RM approved" stamp ! :rolleyes:

More reading on these on:

youll keep safe reading this BEFORE playing:
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=11

then there is some reading about parngs etc here:
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=329

Kukri here:
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=327

These two lasts are on makers, but there is practical information in each

an essay on big blades dynamics, for what it is worth.
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=300

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE