Recycling old washing machines...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
One nice thing a friend of mine has done is turn the drum into a fire pit.

734125_10151412162893035_921126607_n.jpg

Makes perfect sense, nice air flow, 3mm stainless steel drum... it works a treat!

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I had a broken washing machine, but the bit that broke was one of the 3 arms holding the pivot point on so I have to make a stand for it [one that's not just a pile of bricks] - one of the many projects I haven't got round to yet.

They do look nice when lit though, and big enough to get a big blaze going.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Me and a mate knocked on up in a few minutes a while ago. Doddle to do and we welded a but of pipe onto the backing nut then the legs onto the pipe. That way its east to unscrew the nut with the lege off the drum so it fits onto a car boot.

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

Not sure if its visible in the pic but we threaded three bolts in at 120 degree intervals in the open end so it holds a wok with enough clearance that the flames get out past the wok.

Heats it up quite efficiently I thought. And whilst sitting around it you can get your feet under the fire which is toasty on a cold night.
Even though the spider part on the back of the drum is aluminium its not burnt out yet, and its been pretty hot. The drum is stainless though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got rumbled by the cops trying to dismantle a dumped washer in a layby once, they thought I'd dumped it it until I asked them how it would fit in the back of a VW Scirocco.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
..........................I have to make a stand for it [one that's not just a pile of bricks] - one of the many projects I haven't got round to yet.

Yes looks great and been wanting to have a go at one of these for some time. I got nowhere when I tried electrical repair shops and local tips. I kept getting jobsworths saying 'Health and safety, health and safety...'

I am now on a promise for the drum of an old washing machine when it finally gives up the ghost, and will need to have something to stand it on.

I can't do welding and so I was thinking of just getting 3 pieces of angle iron or similar and bashing them into the ground.

?would that do, or do I need something a bit more sophisticated (not a word I usually associate with myself)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've had one for a couple of years. Great ambient light and heat, cooked everything from pheasant to pig on it. Tiptop for woods or garden :thumbup:

Dec 29, 2012
Dorset
If you want a broken down washing machine, put a wanted ad on Freecycle.org

I have had a lot of *good* working stuff from that website and you should have no problem getting a broken washing machine if you are willing to collect.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you want a broken down washing machine, put a wanted ad on Freecycle.org

I have had a lot of *good* working stuff from that website and you should have no problem getting a broken washing machine if you are willing to collect.

Thanks for that

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
You could even try your local recycling centre/ tip they usually have a couple sitting around - just ask nicely.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've used these several times at campsites where they have been provided for this very purpose and they work well. You'll need to sort something out to suspend pots etc. unless you use an old BBQ grill, but then you'll have to move the grill to add fuel; no big problem tho.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I do like that, thanks for sharing. This is yet another good reason to go out & buy a welder this year....

I was reading a thread the other day about how people convert old washing machines into wind turbines in New Zealand, while broswing some off grid web sites recently. They wire up the motor (stator thing) to a rectifier thingy & then weld some blades onto the drum mount.

Slightly off topic:- These are a great burner for camping or in the woods. Once saw a clown light one of these with a bottle of petrol at a VW camper meet and he took his own awning and camper van up in flames and his neigbours awning and himself. I was parked 3 vans away from him and luckily missed it. He was hospitalised from what I gathered. Just a mention of the dangers of petrol used incorrectly, these drums are great in safe hands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE