Hot weather survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
You can feel it, a separate calculator is not necessary.

We Finns practice it in 70-110 C once a week and summertime more often.
You actually can't feel wet bulb danger temperatures, that's why we have tables and calculators.

You see the problem is this at lower temperatures for example yesterday it was 40°C in my yard and the humidity was 15-20% to do the calculations you use a mean of humidity 17.5% which gives 21° that seems low, but that takes into account the body's ability to cool. It feels like 21°C. A wet bulb of 32-35°C can be fatal in an hour for an athlete.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"You see the problem is this at lower temperatures for example yesterday it was 40°C in my yard and the humidity was 15-20% to do the calculations you use a mean of humidity 17.5% which gives 21° that seems low, but that takes into account the body's ability to cool. It feels like 21°C. A wet bulb of 32-35°C can be fatal in an hour for an athlete."[Quote;ManFriday4]

Yards here are workshop areas...... and where are you that 40˚C was the temperature ? and that's a lower temperature ??

I'm enjoying a lovely late summer here with glorious sunshine and it's 21.1˚C and 73% humidity.
That's pretty normal for this time of year.

17.5% humidity is desert to me. I don't think I've ever even had the house down to 17.5% humidity.

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
This is the yard outside the back door of my house. By the building. There are 2 thermometers, 1 in the shade and one in the sun. In the vicinity of the same building the actual data is as follows:

Time of day, location.
Temp & Humidity in the sun
Temp & humidity in the shade.

The humidity in the shade is higher than in the sun, this is to be expected in such a localised location.

I am growing grapes in the wall to cool it, and it works to keep the house cool. We will extend to growing over the yard too.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You’d th is little guy would be a bit more grateful for the water and ham we put out for it during the heat. Expand the photo and check out its expression.

It fell into an artificial well and trashed my fern collection before we rescued it. I put a ladder in there afterwards.

1693840197675.png

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You actually can't feel wet bulb danger temperatures
You are trying tell a Finn that he does not know when he feels uncomfortable!?

Yes you can feel when your internal temp climbs up to uncomfortable levels.

The present paradigm of human evolution seems to be that we evolved in Africa, equator is in Africa you know, hot and humid in many valleys. Meaning that the some tens of thousands of years away from that just isn't enough to kill those heat genes. It has even been studied, it takes about two weeks to acclimatize to a large change in ambient temp. Personal experience is similar. One does not necessarily like it but gets by.

Reactions: Toddy

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'm just in from the garden. Himself's laughing at me because I want a kiddie's paddling pool. I'm going to fill it with water and put it underneath the garden table so I can sit with my feet in it :)
We bought one during the heat two years ago & used it a lot. Then invested( ? ) in an inflatable hot tub at a closing down sale so now we can fill it from the hosepipe and get four people in there to chill off at a time. In the winter we’ll deflate it & pack it away. Having that amount of just warm water to get into is bliss in hot weather.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is the yard outside the back door of my house. By the building. There are 2 thermometers, 1 in the shade and one in the sun. In the vicinity of the same building the actual data is as follows:

Time of day, location.
Temp & Humidity in the sun
Temp & humidity in the shade.

The humidity in the shade is higher than in the sun, this is to be expected in such a localised location.

I am growing grapes in the wall to cool it, and it works to keep the house cool. We will extend to growing over the yard too.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

In the UK or not ?

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Broken all records today............Nurse !

METEO33333.png

Reactions: ManFriday4

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmmm were it here in Midlands UK the temperature would be high (Not record breaking) but it’s your night time temperature of 20 that would give me pause for thought.

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
"You see the problem is this at lower temperatures for example yesterday it was 40°C in my yard and the humidity was 15-20% to do the calculations you use a mean of humidity 17.5% which gives 21° that seems low, but that takes into account the body's ability to cool. It feels like 21°C. A wet bulb of 32-35°C can be fatal in an hour for an athlete."[Quote;ManFriday4]

Yards here are workshop areas...... and where are you that 40˚C was the temperature ? and that's a lower temperature ??

I'm enjoying a lovely late summer here with glorious sunshine and it's 21.1˚C and 73% humidity.
That's pretty normal for this time of year.

17.5% humidity is desert to me. I don't think I've ever even had the house down to 17.5% humidity.
You are in Lanarkshire.

Not the South of England

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
It's also a good idea to have some rehydration sachets from the chemist that you might use if you have the runs, for quick rehydration if someone is feeling the heat badly.
Know the signs!
I can recommend blackcurrant ones, or you can make your own.
In my fak I keep a special double ended spoon that came with instructions and you can measure out salt and sugar and make up your own dioralite, using squash as flavouring.
Remember to keep an eye on the colour of little ones (and bigger ones) wee, if it goes dark or brown looking, rehydrate ASAP. children do not realise they are dehydrated if they are engrossed in playing, and you may not notice they are not drinking. Offer them regular drinks every hour or so.
Heatstroke kills, so keep an eye on elder neighbours too. Worth popping round to check and make sure they are not too hot and put in place any measures you can to keep them cooler. Overheating in older people can be a problem as much as cold
I've had heatstroke once, and it's awful. I was lucky as I'd collapsed and someone found me, and not waiting for an ambulance took me straight to hospital. I was young and stupid, being a sun lover. Now I take more care
Any other tried and tested tips welcome.
I prefer to drink natural mineral water from the stream has all electrolytes one needs and it’s free or a reputable mineral water brand like Fuji .

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Don't forget that with perspiration, you are bound to lose some electrolytes that you must replace and plain water isn't good enough. Even salt, you can't pick that up without a bit of sugar to power the biochemical uptake mechanism (active transport).
Well salted chips and a sweet soda like Coke or 7Up works well.

In the outback of beyond, the billabongs were dirty enough to provide minerals even for the goannas. We had jars and bottles of "SaltaDex" pills, a mix of plain sodium chloride table salt with a bit of potassium chloride added and dextrose sugar for the power.

I've experienced plenty of hot (+35C) weather here. +47 in the kitchen, that sort of thing. Live on the floor on cushions. The bottom shelf in the fridge is all sorts of cold drinks.
Drinking from streams provides me with electrolytes in best form cucumber juice is also 3x more hydrating than tap water

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE