Recommend me some good boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Lowa Patrol Boots- best boots i've ever owned. Good support, comfy, robust, and not too heavy. If you go for the brashers, my recomendation would be to avoid the goretex version- but that is very much personal preference.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Altberg's are good and good value. An added bonus is that you're supporting a British company. That said, for most situations - woods, hills, bumbling about with the dogs - I pull on my Lundhags. Light, comfy and keep out most stuff. I've got a pair of Lowa mountaineering boots which are bliss - so maybe some of their others might be worth a look.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Lowa mountain boots (the military version - they have a higher leg) or the German Army Mountain boot which is basically the same as the Lowa!
I do like the Altbergs and their service support is second to none but I do prefer the Lowa's.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
I'm looking to buy a good pair of boots. So far i've been looking at Brasher Hillmasters and Hoggs Braemaster, any other suggestions please.

hi there i was in glasgow looking for boots and tried on the lowa combat boots...couldnt walk in em...lol..went to tiso and
tried the Meindle Burma pro they felt excellent on..and are 134 pounds at tiso sale..

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Nothing but good things to say about my Brashers. Had them for 4 years now and they have been great for a budget boot. Can take some breaking in though, but once you get past that, no problems at all.

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
possibly contraversial but i pretty much only buy karrimors, there pretty cheap and can generally always be found on sale some where, i find them really comfy and even though i tend to break at least one eyelet within the first couple of weeks tend to last me for at least a year, which is amazing for me cause i abuse footwear, infact i need to replace my mount mid 3s cause i appear to have encased them in concrete, the only downside i have found (apart from the eyelets which i can get around) is that they arent very breathable, which is more my wifes problem than mine, but there waterproofing is great, might not be for everyone but they tick all the boxes for me

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got a set of Meindls but do find them quite heavy and started developing blisters, I went across to Inov8 Roclite 390s http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=26&P=5050973007 - lightweight almost fell running boots which for 90% of outdoor/hills are great, the difference was amazing, more grip as they mould to the floor, the lack of cushioning wasn't an issue but the increase in feedback from the ground was excellent. I've recently got a set of Salomon Quests http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/quest-4d-gtx.html for slightly increased support on really steep stuff or scree. Wouldn't ever go back to heavy stiff boots (apart from winter work), there is a lot evidence now to support that fact that you don't need a stiff upper to give ankle support as most of this comes from how well the footbed supports at the heel cusp.

themoth

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
i bought my boots from some uk site called zalando coz they had free delivery. i wasnt expecting much, but the're really awesome. mines are viking boots, but they have nice lowa's and stuff.

Last edited:

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
My boot of choice for general bushcraft are my brashers. They are very comfortable out of the box, and seem to last for ever.

For walking I have a pair of Altbergs- good quality, very strong, very waterproof.......unfortunatly very pricey!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My boot of choice for general bushcraft are my brashers. They are very comfortable out of the box, and seem to last for ever.

For walking I have a pair of Altbergs- good quality, very strong, very waterproof.......unfortunatly very pricey!

Very Pricey But can be re soled by them so will last a long long time.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
thanks for all the help........i think ive settled on meindl......now all ive got to decide is which type.........im leaning towards the meindl vakuum .......or the borneo.....goretex lined or not goretex lined......any advice again appreciated.

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have just treated myself to a pair of Lundhags, which I picked up cheap at the gamefair. I have only worn them three or four times now and they starting to feel really nice. They are towards the top end pricewise but I think they will do well over the next five years, like the last pair boots I owned, which when you work it out is only £35 a year or thereabouts. They make me happy anyway. Worth a look.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
If you havent gone and bought your Meindls I would have a seriouse look at anatom boots http://anatomfootwear.co.uk/products/q3%E2%84%A2.

I have tried many different boots, none were quite right, was about to fork out for some custom Altbergs untill I tried on a pair of these. Very good fitting service at the Paramo shop in Covent Garden, amazingly comfy and very supportive. If you are going to buy a pair of boots, covent garden is the place to go as most major outdoor brands/shops are oppening their flag ship stores there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE