Recommend me some good boots.

Aug 2, 2011
Sunderland
Mammut Men's MT Trail XT GTX Mountain Boots

Heavier than some but robust and well put together, some reports of failures but excellent customer service.

themoth

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
you can try zalando if you live in the uk. they have solid boots, and i got mines with free delivery. so yeah, give it a try. i like the hoggs, me dad used to have a pair, he would swear by them.

Last edited:

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Best boots ever created by the hand of man....http://io.ua/15914396p

Maybe I don't undestand the irony, but this german army boot is nothing I would recommend. I wrote an article about the different german army boots and went to a made-to-measure-bootmaker to test them (travelled 500km to meet him, very special craftsman). We cut the boots into pieces, and the bootmakers opinion was more than clear: the 2000 issue is not as bad as the current issue (foamed outer sole etc.), but still a cheap boot. The cushioning holds the moisture (wet socks, blisters etc.), you may spread your ankles because of the lack of stability, the materials are cheap, non lasting and ecologically harmful. This boot is nothing in comparison to the 70's German Para Boot. The old Para Boots were double stitched and not cushioned, they last for ages and even a shoemaker at a market place in india can resole them. If you find one of these old boots: not a bad choice. The Bundeswehr told me, they knew about the decreasing quality. But first it is a question of money, and second the modern boots are made for a generation used to sneakers + designed for short term service. This means the boot must be comfortable like a sneaker and has to fit without a break-in-period (a problem which is even bigger with the current issue).
Maybe this boot fits perfectly to your feet, but if you carry a heavy backpack and walk on a wet and uneven surface - I would tape my ankles.
(hope you understand my english)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Maybe I don't undestand the irony, but this german army boot is nothing I would recommend. I wrote an article about the different german army boots and went to a made-to-measure-bootmaker to test them (travelled 500km to meet him, very special craftsman). We cut the boots into pieces, and the bootmakers opinion was more than clear: the 2000 issue is not as bad as the current issue (foamed outer sole etc.), but still a cheap boot. The cushioning holds the moisture (wet socks, blisters etc.), you may spread your ankles because of the lack of stability, the materials are cheap, non lasting and ecologically harmful. This boot is nothing in comparison to the 70's German Para Boot. The old Para Boots were double stitched and not cushioned, they last for ages and even a shoemaker at a market place in india can resole them. If you find one of these old boots: not a bad choice. The Bundeswehr told me, they knew about the decreasing quality. But first it is a question of money, and second the modern boots are made for a generation used to sneakers + designed for short term service. This means the boot must be comfortable like a sneaker and has to fit without a break-in-period (a problem which is even bigger with the current issue).
Maybe this boot fits perfectly to your feet, but if you carry a heavy backpack and walk on a wet and uneven surface - I would tape my ankles.
(hope you understand my english)

Thanks for a very interesting post. I think I was being a little facietious, as these boots are not at all what the OP is looking for, but I do genuinely like them.
I've been using the BW Kampfstiefel modell 2000 since 2008 & I have very few complaints. True, they fit my feet "like gloves" better than any other footwear I've had, I've never had any blisters with them, ( though I have had a few sores as the inside ankle/heel lining wears through, but that's easily remedied) nor have I ever twisted my ankle, even when carrying a rucksack.I find they give excellent ankle support.
I am a little surprised that you say they are made with cheap materials as I find the leather of both the uppers & lining of exceptional quality. I did take the first pair I had after they were worn out (they were already well used when I bought them) apart to see both how they were contructed & to recuperate some of the leather & I was very impressed with the overall build quality.

I like their design too, the mix of army & walking boot is very original, & don't look too military for civilian use.
I know they were only expected to last a year, ( military service) but I have a pair I've been using almost every day for more than 2 years ( they had already spent 9 months in the Bundeswehr before I had them) & though well worn, are still going strong.
I have no experience with the later 2005 modell nor the current 2007 modell & I must admit I don't much like their design.so when the 3 pairs of the 2000 modell I have finally have to be thrown away I doubt I will be investing in the new issue kampfstiefel.

Your English by the way is excellent, thanks again I love discussing these boots.

I would just like to add that I'm only talking about the genuine army issue boots & not the many cheaper copies.

Last edited:

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
If you own three pairs of boots, which fit "like gloves", you are a lucky man. Thanks for your answer. It is a good point for the importance of an individual impression. No test can beat the experience. Cheers! (I'll try to find out the meaning of "facietious" now ...)

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I'm a boot tart and own or have owned boots from most of the big names. I don't mind spending quite large sums of money on boots because I wear them all day but, most of the other blokes I have ever worked with wear whatever the boss buys them which is usually the cheapest steel toecapped boot available, often costing as little as £9.99 a pair and I've never seen any of them really suffer as a result! Glyn

jigsaw

Jul 25, 2009
ireland
Ive bought a pair of Meindl eagles 2 weeks ago,their comfy and water resistant,had them in the bogs looking for hares lately and up to my ankles in water,no problem at all.I hope I can get 2 years out of them before i need the next pair.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Thanks for all the help and advice lads, i settled for the meindl burma pro .......not bad at all.

there excellent boots i have bought a cpl of pairs of second hand boots and there no good,am better off with new boots from the shop..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE