Recommend me some budget binoculars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Alreet. I've got a holiday booked for later in the year n part of it is spending 5 days at Yellowstone park.i 'd like too buy a cheapish pair of binos. I'd prefer the smaller type don't want be lugging anything too big around with me. Thanks Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

The thing to watch out for with the small ones (like the 8x21 pocket things) is that they're awkward to hold at the right distance from the eyes. If they're not at the right distance, you either get a restricted field of view (sort of tunnel vision) or weird blackouts at the sides of the view. When at the right distance, you just get a nice clear view. This distance (from eye to ocular) is called eye relief.

Look for bins with eyecups that can be adjusted for length by rotating them. When you have them set right, they rest against the eye socket or just under the bony parts at the eyebrows, and stay where they're supposed to be. For spectacle wearers, they're held against the glasses (rubber-faced eyecups) with the adjustment set to suit.

Bins that you can just lift and place against bony parts or specs are far, far better to use. Note that there's a chance that the dinky 8x21 types that don't have twist-up eyecups might not have enough eye relief to work with glasses.

The other thing to consider with the small ones is their performance in low light. They transmit less light than larger ones, and can turn stuff into grey mush. They can be okay in decent daylight, but rapidly go downhill at dusk. This is a physics thing - very hard to get a substantial improvement by buying expensive ones (expensive small ones will transmit better than budget small ones, but bigger budget bins will be much better again).

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks for the reply..I would consider the larger nothing's set in stone I just don't want anything too cumbersome. budget! Nothing over 100 pounds but less preferably

N

Nomad

Less than £100 will get you bins that are very good. Nearly all bins these days are excellent for the money, and the improvements as you spend more can be surprisingly small (or hard to see until you know what to look for).

I'd consider a pair of 8x32. They're a good compromise between the more popular 8x42 and the little fold-up pocket types. 8x42 are quite chunky feeling in the hand and aren't really pocket sized - best used with the case over the shoulder if you want to put them away (or with a satchel or the like). Weight is usually 700-800 grams. 8x32 is a bit shorter, the tubes are a smaller diameter, and they'll generally weigh around 200g less. Size-wise, they're small enough to go easily into most jacket pockets. In use, they feel noticeably lighter and more compact than 8x42, but still handle well - decent comfy grip that feels secure and stable. The 8x21 types are very ergonomically compromised in comparison.

There are loads to choose from, and I have limited experience with 8x32s. I started with a pair of Barr & Stroud Sierra 8x42, and they're excellent for the current price of around £80. I haven't tried the 8x32 version, but I'd be very tempted if I was after that size of bin. I did look through the RSPB Puffin model in 8x32 (£55), and was not so impressed. Some of the dearer RSPB models were more like the Sierras in terms of optical quality, but tended to cost more (maybe £120 or so).

In my searches, I found three makes/models that had suspiciously similar specs, not to mention designs of eyecup, focus wheel and dioptre adjustment. They're all made in China (just about every bin under £500 is made in China), and my feeling was that the various brands were buying a particular model and spec from the same factory, and getting their own design of rubber armouring added. The three that look to be the same are...

Barr & Stroud Sierra
Hawke Nature Trek
Celestron Nature DX

These three get consistently good reviews, both in terms of punters commenting on the likes of Amazon, and in binocular tests by people that presumably know what they're talking about (like "best binocular under $200" round-up kind of thing). Not sure how common the Celestrons are in the UK. The Hawkes are probably more common than the Barr & Strouds, and both of them should be readily available from a variety of sources. Worth shopping around a bit - you should find them in 8x32 for about £70.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Don't forget charity shops, I've picked up remarkably good binos for peanuts, 3 pairs of Karl Zeiss for a fiver a go ( only kept one pair ) just to give a example. I'm cheap so don't go over a tenner but for 20 -25 I've seen some remarkably good ones. Your going abroad/ travelling so the risk of damage or loss is going to be higher than normal anyway. If you have a smart phone you can google a review instantly and if you don't fancy going around the local shops you can just phone to see if they have any in, how much, what model and they will save them for you to try out. For some reason most charity shops seam to have at least one pair in and it's not unusual to see 2 or 3.

ok not everyone wants second hand but still a option.

Come to think of it I think I got my diddy little Prakticas ( to replace dead the same ones the lads killed ) in Bolton in one of the charity shops round the corner from where those brightly painted elephants are opposite the big chippy. Sorry I'm lousy at street names.

atb

tom

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Don't forget charity shops, I've picked up remarkably good binos for peanuts, 3 pairs of Karl Zeiss for a fiver a go ( only kept one pair ) just to give a example. I'm cheap so don't go over a tenner but for 20 -25 I've seen some remarkably good ones. Your going abroad/ travelling so the risk of damage or loss is going to be higher than normal anyway. If you have a smart phone you can google a review instantly and if you don't fancy going around the local shops you can just phone to see if they have any in, how much, what model and they will save them for you to try out. For some reason most charity shops seam to have at least one pair in and it's not unusual to see 2 or 3.

ok not everyone wants second hand but still a option.

Come to think of it I think I got my diddy little Prakticas ( to replace dead the same ones the lads killed ) in Bolton in one of the charity shops round the corner from where those brightly painted elephants are opposite the big chippy. Sorry I'm lousy at street names.

atb

tom

Newport street that tombear I'll check it out cheers

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Viking, Opticron (have a look at their 8x32 long eye relief monoculars too) and Visionary Wetland are all pretty good.

If you do a search on here theres plenty of info.

oops duplicate post

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Have a wander into your local gun shop. A lot of scope manufacturers make binos and monos. I've got a hawke set that where only about £20 and they're really good.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I got a great pair of small Pentax binos from eBay for £20....so might be worth having a butchers on there....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Check Cash Converters and places like that. I got my hands on a set of Nikon Monarchs and a set of Barr and Stroud for under £55 for the pair. Barr and Stroud are fantastic binos for the price new. Probably best buying second hand though as you can grab some great bargains. also got a old pair of Zenith 10x50 for a fiver...heavy but great binos once i cleaned them up inside.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Check Cash Converters and places like that. I got my hands on a set of Nikon Monarchs and a set of Barr and Stroud for under £55 for the pair. Barr and Stroud are fantastic binos for the price new. Probably best buying second hand though as you can grab some great bargains. also got a old pair of Zenith 10x50 for a fiver...heavy but great binos once i cleaned them up inside.

+1 to that you can get some good gear in there. Got a £200+ coarse rod for £30 before

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE