Army Surplus Para/Assault Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I am looking to get a pair of boots for walking the dog around where I live, nothing too strenuous, a few fields, paths and pavements. I have tried numerous pairs of reasonably priced "branded" footwear, all of which are comfortable, but most are hardly water resistant, despite their claims, and seem to wear through the footbed in as little as 3 months. Best were a pair of goretex fabric Meindls which lasted 18 months but were not waterproof after about 6 months.

I am looking to get either a pair of german para boots similar to(used though):

http://www.militarykit.com/products/footwear/military_german_army_para_boot_new.html

or a pair of british assault boots similar to:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/6...ULT+BOOTS/0/SKU/4-153-16872-1675/Default.aspx

I am leaning towards the German Para boots, as I have owned a pair of the early type back in the 80's, but could be swayed.

Could anyone provide any experience of either type of boot and recommend a potential vendor for me to get some boots from please. Budget is about £50.

Thank-you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would avoid the assault boot, whilst they are a good comfy boot the sole is **** poor and renound for failure, as happened to mine at the weekend they were new when I bought them about 10 years ago and had covered only about 20 miles in them, this Saturday I had them on and the soles started to crack and the tread disintegrated.

the german para boots are an old boot, totally bomb proof but do take a while to break in

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
the brit army assault boots i had were total rubbish, the soles broke up and fall apart after very little use. they were so bad it had to be a manufacturing problem, others seem to have had similar experience.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
My new brit army assault boots leak water after 50 miles on the bike. I'm unimpressed. The older issue from 80's and 90's would have stayed dry all day on the bike in heavy rain.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The Britton boots you linked to don't have the same sole as the boots in the above posts - these are the older type DMS soles and don't suffer from the same problems................

I bought a pair of these about three months ago and they're a very good £50's worth in my book, totally different feel to the usual issue ones.

I didn't get mine from Silvermans as I hate the company, but that's a good price for a good boot. :)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I cant fault the assualt boots, like slippers. Dont leak. Soles not come off or degraded, they look as new and have been given stick for ten years now. Would have another pair but at this rate I dont think I will ever need to replace them. The para boots are excellent but heavy.
I also hav3 some brashers and they just wont die. Also water proof enough. My mate who has served and used hanwags and meindls admitted they were to look ally, and looking ally apparently saves lives, admitted he couldnt actually fault the assault boot either.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I would also add about the assualt boot that a very bad batch was released into surplus yhat the soles did degrade, and it was pot luck if you got a good pair or bad. This was years ago now but the rumours persist. Also, with regard to the uppers leaking. Looking after the kit helps, and treat them with combinations of polish and dubbin to keep them tip top. Again, people will tell you dubbin wrecks the stitching but ive been doing it for years and had no issues. My leather boots never leak.

But....you might get a duff pair. Thats the surplus game im afraid. Sometimes it is surplus because shelves need to be cleared. Sometimes its surplus because its stuffed.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am using the assault boots at present They were a real painful nightmare to break in But are giving excellent use now. I used Neatsfoot oil to soften them and treat with dubbin and polish. Some damage to front of one sole where I lounged with my feet too near a fire don't seem to be disintegrating even after that abuse.I paid £10 from a charity shop for them New

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Well I stand by my claim that these latest issue assault boots are crap compared to 10 or 20 years ago. The quality has seriously went down hill.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Thanks for some useful information.

Macaroon, where did you purchase your boots from please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I got 'em from Denbigh Army Surplus for £45 plus p&p, 50 all in, IIRC......nice people to deal with and there's a bit of info about the boots on their site.

I don't think you can do better for the money - good strong boots, just take a little breaking in! Let me know how you get on with them, eh? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE