Recommend me my first ever knife.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
I had multiple "multi-tools" and all they cause is more pain than help from blisters, etc.

And anyway my Birthday will be coming in the next few months, so I want to get my first knife, can anyone recommend me one, a good one.

I like fixed blades over folding because I've always felt slack or play in the folding part, if you can recommend me a knife which does not do this, I will be very happy!

I like the look of the BG ultimate folding knife, note the colours, not him.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really wouldn't want to carry a folder as my primary work knife. A fixed blade is very discreet if you attach it to your belt and tuck the end of the sheath into a pocket.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
I really wouldn't want to carry a folder as my primary work knife. A fixed blade is very discreet if you attach it to your belt and tuck the end of the sheath into a pocket.

OK then is the BG Knife actually good for a first knife, I mainly like the colour, the think blade with serrations, the firesteel and the diamond stone integrated to the sheath. Is it actually good?

To tone that down, I just like it, but there has been alot of debates about it, there is alot of hatred for it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
A Mora 511.

Longer tang than the clipper unless you go for the companion.

Also the 511 is frequently used by the bushcraft high priest so they are good.

You can get one for a few pound and will last years.

If you wan't a nice leather sheath and wood handle i would recomend extremely highly the Mora 137. I use this knife and it is great.

Can be picked up for less than £20.

Don't even bother getting a knife though if you don't have the knowledge and tools to keep it sharp.

If your not great at sharpening your better getting a good stone such as a DC3 or DC4 and a leather belt plus a few 511's to practice with.

If you can't shave your beard with your knife, it's blunt and is dangerous.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
OK then is the BG Knife actually good for a first knife, I mainly like the colour, the think blade with serrations, the firesteel and the diamond stone integrated to the sheath. Is it actually good?

To tone that down, I just like it, but there has been alot of debates about it, there is alot of hatred for it.

No it wouldn't be a good first knife if you intend to use it. I only say this because if it's your first knife it's very easy to wreck it if it's also your first time sharpening a knife.

It doesn't matter if you have a 200 pound custom knife or an old file hammered to an edge. Your ability to use it is what counts.

Though i'm assuming you wan't to use your knife, if it's just for looking at go for anything shiny.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
A Mora 511.

Longer tang than the clipper unless you go for the companion.

Also the 511 is frequently used by the bushcraft high priest so they are good.

You can get one for a few pound and will last years.

If you wan't a nice leather sheath and wood handle i would recomend extremely highly the Mora 137. I use this knife and it is great.

Can be picked up for less than £20.

Don't even bother getting a knife though if you don't have the knowledge and tools to keep it sharp.

If your not great at sharpening your better getting a good stone such as a DC3 or DC4 and a leather belt plus a few 511's to practice with.

If you can't shave your beard with your knife, it's blunt and is dangerous.

I have a old whetstone, and to maintain the edge while sharp, I have another block just like a belt.

Also why do people hate serrations so much?

Last edited:

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
No it wouldn't be a good first knife if you intend to use it. I only say this because if it's your first knife it's very easy to wreck it if it's also your first time sharpening a knife.

It doesn't matter if you have a 200 pound custom knife or an old file hammered to an edge. Your ability to use it is what counts.

Though i'm assuming you wan't to use your knife, if it's just for looking at go for anything shiny.

Well it won't be my first time sharpening a knife, I'm actually OK with whetstones and a belt.

The Clipper seems very nice for a first knife as it's cheap and brilliant. I would have liked a knife with a firesteel built in though.

Sorry I couldn't merge the posts.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
people dont tend to like serations because it restricts the amount of positions you can hold the blade in, for eg when carving a spoon or when making the hole for the bow drill in the hearth board, serations just get in the way for the finer work and tend to be useless anyway...

if you want a fire steel and leather sheath with a clippa just ask the members on here, you could get a sheath for say around £35, custom made how you want it, a fire steel for £5 and knife for £10. so for £50 you can have exactly what you want, you know it will be sharp last a long time and you have not spent a fortune.

i would say though before you do that just start with the clippa, get to know what it can do, and what you can do with it more to the point.

practice with it and get used to handling a blade, and when you have had a few cuts and near misses move onto another type of blade, or have your custom sheath made.

i used a clippa for about 5 years, i still use it now from time to time, and its also my back up knife.. i used to get asked all the time why dont you get a custome knife or buy a better knife, simple answer is why pay £100+ for a knife that works just as well for £10..

anyway, i make my own knives now so its all good...;)

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
So the question now is, what steel to get stainless or carbon, carbon is probably going to be alot better.

Btw I would get a Mora Bushcraft survival knife, but when I saw the price of the cilpper it was very good.

Also I though a blade was for cutting and the serrations for sawing little shrubs and trees?

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Tools are very personal things, and we can't tell you what you're going to like. You haven't told us whether you're going to be carving a spoon or building a cabin, nor under what sort of circumstances, so it's impossible to recommend something that's suitable because we don't know what we're trying to suit.

My advice is to try out some widely different tools and see what you find that you like about them, and what you don't. There will always be something unless you just don't use it. If they're all funded from the same pool of resources (usually that's somebody's bank account:)) then obviously you will be able to try out a wider variety if they are generally cheaper than if they're generally more expensive. The Moras are great because (a) according to almost everyone who's used them they're good, and (b) they're cheap. So if you like you can try several of them without breaking the bank.

Folders have a place. They will always be something of a compromise and there may well be some play in the mechanism, especially if it's a cheap one. That may or may not be important to you. Most of the time I use folders of some sort, including multi-tools.

Multi-tools have a place. Such as on my belt, and in my pack, and in the tool kit on my bike, and in the Jeep, and...

Serrations on a blade can have a place. You haven't found it yet, but when you do you might be surprised. It took a while, but I was. :)

Stainless has a place. Until you find out more about your personal preferences I don't think the steels you choose are so important as things like handle, blade and edge geometries. So for now you're probably best advised to stick to the carbon steels, which tend to be cheaper and easier to maintain, and will do anything that you're going to ask of them except sit for weeks in a bucket of water. Stainless which is good for a knife blade tends to be very expensive.

As with any tool, if you're getting blisters from it you need to re-appraise the way you're doing things. It might be that the tool isn't really right for the job. It might be that the way you're using it could be improved. It might be that your hands could be toughened up a bit. I've been giving my hands grief for decades and there's not much that will give me blisters now, but I suppose I've probably learned the early signs of discomfort and I probably change the way I'm doing something without even realizing it if I feel the early warnings. You have the pleasure of learning about that all to come. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE