Recommend me my first ever knife.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
All of mine have been very sharp out of the box. The only thing you may want to do is take a file to the spine (back) of the blade if you want to use the blade to strike a firesteel. A sharper edge gets more sparks. You may find that this isn't necessary though. Some of mine have needed it, others haven't.

Good luck with Mora. Don't forget the first aid kit just in case!

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Good, it's a convenience to have it sharp out of the box!

I was also looking at the tracker knife, it looks a daunting task to sharpen the chopping part of blade.

Last edited:

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Having just looked the Mora craftline rope knife would be a good cheap alternative to the BG if you like orange and serations.

I actually wanted a blade, and then a serration, maybe on the top of the knife, so there is a blade and a serrated portion on the top.

Although I am going to get a Mora Clipper, I'm also looking at the SOG Seal Pup, anyway as I will have a Clipper soon enough I won't need to think about another knife.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The Frosts blade is the puppies peas... I still have one after ****cough**** a lot of years and it's had so much abuse I think they're nigh on unbreakable !! You'll be very pleased with the quality !! Personally I've only ever found serrations useful if you're cutting an awful lot of thick rope or webbing... Other than that a plain scandi grind is the bomb !!

Last edited:

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Is there any Mora knife with a firesteel built in, although it's not very necessary, I use flint, steel and char-cloth more, but I don't want it to be very expensive, the Clipper probably could be modded to hold a firesteel even in the handle as it does not bear a full tang.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
As far as I know, there aren't any Moras with ferro rods built into the knife itself. There is the Mora Bushcraft knife that has a ferro rod and ceramic stone attached to the sheath, but you can buy a clipper, ferro rod and dc4 sharpening stone individually and have change in your pocket compared to the price of the Mora Bushcraft.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
As far as I know, there aren't any Moras with ferro rods built into the knife itself. There is the Mora Bushcraft knife that has a ferro rod and ceramic stone attached to the sheath, but you can buy a clipper, ferro rod and dc4 sharpening stone individually and have change in your pocket compared to the price of the Mora Bushcraft.

Peanut is right..... Check out this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78180

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Instead of blowing your budget on a more expensive knife (like I did for my first one), buy a Mora, and some waterstones. Learn how to sharpen it without stuffing it up. If you do stuff it up, it won't matter. Then you'll be ready for a 'spenny knife like a Stu Mitchell or a Bernie Garland, and you won't destroy it after a week (like I did).

:D

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
A Mora 511.

Longer tang than the clipper unless you go for the companion.

Also the 511 is frequently used by the bushcraft high priest so they are good.

You can get one for a few pound and will last years.

If you wan't a nice leather sheath and wood handle i would recomend extremely highly the Mora 137. I use this knife and it is great.

Can be picked up for less than £20.

Don't even bother getting a knife though if you don't have the knowledge and tools to keep it sharp.

If your not great at sharpening your better getting a good stone such as a DC3 or DC4 and a leather belt plus a few 511's to practice with.

If you can't shave your beard with your knife, it's blunt and is dangerous.
Where is the best selection of Mora knives , plenty of shops doing the Clipper including lakeland BC but can,t find anywhere doing full range
such as the 511 here and the 137 models amazon are also doing the Clipper but not the other two.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Have a chat with Kepis on here... He makes a really nice leather belt loop with a quick release (but secure) mechanism for hanging your firesteel from your belt.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71160

I have had a Mora Triflex for a year that I though would at-some stage fail. It will probably outlive me and its worked very, very hard! Downside is it looses the edge fairly quick.
I would personally go with stainless next time. Its very good steel.

Enjoy, al.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not going to suggest anything.

Put something up for trade asking for a knife in return and see what you get

Is there any Mora knife with a firesteel built in, although it's not very necessary, I use flint, steel and char-cloth more, but I don't want it to be very expensive, the Clipper probably could be modded to hold a firesteel even in the handle as it does not bear a full tang.

My mate has glued the ferro rod to the plastic sheath on his clipper

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE