Woodlore clone recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I’m in the market for a Woodlore clone or similar style knife and was wondering if you good folks may be able to recommend me one. This will be my first proper ‘bushcraft’ knife that is not just a Mora or something <£50. So I want it to be a decent knife that I enjoy owning, but not spending a grand on one.

Criteria:

- Wood scales
- Scandi grind
- Strong enough for batoning, a workhorse
- Open to recommendations on metal. Needs to spark a ferro rod and be easily maintainable.
- Ideally below £200. Whilst I would love an actual Woodlore, I can’t justify spending that sort of money on one.

So far I’m eyeing up the Casström Lars Fält bushcraft knife and the TBS Boar, but would appreciate advice of those here.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I love my lars falt - to me it suits my needs and would highly recommend it for a multitude of tasks. It splits well, carves good and the spine can scrape wood or a ferro rod just fine. It also feels like the right size in the hand and balanced.
I havent seen the tbs boar, but have the original lynx (smaller) and it's also done me well and has been used well, but not so much for wood processing due to the smaller size.

benvosper

Oct 13, 2022
London
Have a look at stuff from Helle. Classic Scandinavian designs that are always nice to use. Their Utvaer model is full-tang, stainless with a proper scandi grind. I love mine.

Or for under £200 you could get a Fallkniven F1 or similar with some really good steel (their laminated CoS is great).

Or if you still fancied cheap and cheerful but very charming, check out BPS knives out of Ukraine. Their carbon steel is solid!

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Slightly more expensive at £260, Stoney Path knives, he sells on Etsy, I got my first on here second hand and was very impressed indeed. I then waited a while until a Woodlore pattern one came up on Etsy. It is absolutely beautiful, the attention to detail is above and beyond on the sheath and the knife. Mines an O1 which is a steel I wanted to try, though he does them in stainless as well. Because of the perspective, the blade looks shorter than it is and the point isn’t as pointy. That’s one thing I really like is the tip, it goes to a fine point for detailed carving but is still strong because it’s not tapered. They are heavy knives, that is noticeable. The dangler is one I made myself with a carrstrom karrabiner. The bolts are really nicely done as well, cant remember the exact term for that type.
If you were to spend a bit more than that, the Nomad Knifeworks Meister would be an excellent choice. The guy that runs it now worked with Stephen Ray Cox, who, I believe, originally made the Woodlore Pro for Ray Mears. The Meister is basically the same knife, tapered tang and blade, so you’re getting the Woodlore Pro, in your choice of handle for half the price of the original. I actually am waiting for mine, with a birds-eye maple handle, can’t wait to use it.:)
IMG-1752.jpg

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the comments everyone. I’ve ended up going for a Mark Hill bushcraft clone, which I should be getting in the week. Still very tempted by the Lars Fält, too!

So many knives, so few billions of pounds with which to buy them all…

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The Lars knife is ok, it’s pretty thick though I think around 4mm.

Have you had a look at the brisa trapper? Used to be called enzo. I’ve had one for years now and I find it’s perfect for me, I’ve tried all sorts and just keep coming back to it.

Reactions: Kepis

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster

Have you had a look at the brisa trapper? Used to be called enzo. I’ve had one for years now and I find it’s perfect for me, I’ve tried all sorts and just keep coming back to it.
That was my first “expensive” bushcraft knife I bought, my first bushcraft knife being a Mora Robusta. It is still one of my favourite ones, mine was a Brisa one. My only niggles with it was the handle is a tad too short (I take size 10 or 11 gloves), I can get a pressure point from the end of the slabs, also it chipped even though it was only bark I was cutting. Heinnie resharpened it and I’ve had no issues since.

Reactions: FerlasDave

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Alan Wood, the maker. I've had a few from him but my last two were a "matched pair" of Bushcrafter and Alpinist and they're cracking knives in RWL-34 and green linen micarta with orange liners and central pin. Example of his work below.

Attachments

• AlanWood.JPG
    AlanWood.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 32

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent

I can vouch for the Enzo trapper, brilliant budget blade if handling yourself.

I have a s30v, m2 (scandi) and elmax (full flat), and all in 3.5mm thickness, but I reach for it when going out to play, not really and don't know why, a Mark Hill or a Lionsteel blade, yes without question.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Alan Wood, the maker. I've had a few from him but my last two were a "matched pair" of Bushcrafter and Alpinist and they're cracking knives in RWL-34 and green linen micarta with orange liners and central pin. Example of his work below.
Please don’t do this to me… I’m smitten :) Some beauties there! Is that 3rd down on the right ivory micarta or bone? I do like a bone or ivory micarta handle.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I expect Ivory micarta. Not sure but I think Ivory is a no-no these days.
Ivory definitely is unless it’s over a certain age. Mammoth ivory is legal though, as is Walrus ivory, I don’t think they have the creamy whiteness that elephant ivory is famed for though. I do like ivory coloured Micarta though, I have a couple of knives with that, a Brisa Necker 70, and a Stoney Path one, I just think they look so classy, especially the Necker. Also have a bone handled traditional pattern Bulgarian hunting knife I bought at a craft village there, started shortly after the Russian revolution. All the power comes from water wheels, they had some amazing stuff there. It’s a flat grind, very, very fine edge on it, totally unsuitable for wood, but makes a nice kitchen duty knife for camping (as I don’t hunt).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE