Reasons for carrying a knife (in the UK).......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Absolutely Agree there!

It is not the actual day to day Police Operations that are the issue for me, indeed I support them fully, and as a Londoner, see on a Daily basis that we have a Dedicated and Professional Police force in the Metropolitan Police.

It is more the Dog's Breakfast of Legislation, Including some Recent, Rushed through, Badly Thought Out Legislation, that is the issue, plus the way this is affecting people who are either commuting to/from work, or are trying to get across town by Underground to, say, catch a Train to Scotland for two weeks bushcrafting.

In the End, I think we All want the same thing, Open and Fair Policing, with an element of Common Sense.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bogflogger said:
So there we have it.

If you are a bushcrafter, climber, or backpacker in the UK you are expected to walk to your destination and/or get arrested as a terrorist.

Would the last person to leave the UK please turn out the lights.

It's not like that though is it.

If you owned a taxi, would you let anyone ride in it, no matter how drunk, abussive, threatening etc? No, 'course you wouldn't, you say ...get out of my blimmin taxi, or get off my blimmin bus, or get out of my train station. :)

The "it's my property and you can only come in if you agree to be searched" thing is quite legal. Whether it's reasonable or not is a different matter. But if they were your trains and the people travelling on them were your responsibility, I guess haveing them blown up and people killed on them, would make you a bit twitched. If they were being specifically targetted by terrorists as a vehicle to inflict large amounts of injuries and deaths to large numbers of people, you probably would use any and all legal tools available to you, to minimise the risk to life, limb and your trains (...and the service they provide).

In legal terms, going into a train station with a legal knife in your pocket, is like going into a nightclub with a legal knife in your pocket. It's up to the owner of the train station (or nighclub) to decide if they like it and decide whether or not to let you on (or in). In addition, the police may lift you for posession of an offensive weapon, based on context. They probably would arrest you in a night club, and may also arrest you using a tube train. The context of knife and tube train, is not as self-evident as knife and woods. In the current climate, pretty much anything that could be construed as a weapon and "tube train" is an unhealthy combination.

My concern, and I've expressed this before, is that the more people get accustomed to random stop and searches under the umbrella of anti-terrorism, the less they will question it. It could slip into a generalised return of the sus laws via the back door, without generating too much protest. I cant really see that happening. There is a world of difference between stop and searches at the entrance to public transport in high (terrorist) risk areas, and non specific stop and searches on the streets; and thanks to chewie, I can see there is a relatively transparent system of checks and balances. But it's right that we ask the questions. :)

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Thia is indeed a VERY interesting thread, even with the high jinks and mis-understandings...

If I ever came to the UK on holiday, I would carry the smallest SAK available, and not much else...
It would be tough, but that way, I would only lose a small value item, if my intentions were mis-construed at the point of a chat with the Law.
I try to be a Law abiding citizen, wherever I am, but I do realise that the copper on duty at the time, has to make a call on what to do with the situation he is confronted with...and that might mean you lose the "offending " item in question, whether it be a knife, torch, or keyring etc.

Times have changed people, and like the loss of handguns in the UK, we might be hard pressed to justify our ( knife ) intentions in the not to distant future...

Anywhere and everywhere in the world...

I feel for our children... :(

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
zackerty said:
Thia is indeed a VERY interesting thread, even with the high jinks and mis-understandings...

If I ever came to the UK on holiday, I would carry the smallest SAK available, and not much else...
It would be tough, but that way, I would only lose a small value item, if my intentions were mis-construed at the point of a chat with the Law.
I try to be a Law abiding citizen, wherever I am, but I do realise that the copper on duty at the time, has to make a call on what to do with the situation he is confronted with...and that might mean you lose the "offending " item in question, whether it be a knife, torch, or keyring etc.

Times have changed people, and like the loss of handguns in the UK, we might be hard pressed to justify our ( knife ) intentions in the not to distant future...

Anywhere and everywhere in the world...

I feel for our children... :(

It really isn't like that, honest. :)

Carry whatever torch you like - there is no offence of carrying a torch [I hesitate to add this bit for fear of getting flamed, but .... unless you are going equipped to commit certain offences, which require evidence of criminal intent... this relates to offences which have rightly been pointed out as tools to prevent criminals commiting crimes, not means with which to harass the general populus.]

Carry whatever keys you like for locks you are entitled to open, except skeleton keys and lock-picks [again, unless you have criminal intent.] Use any keyring you like, unless it has a weapon attached to it.

Carry a knife or multi-tool by all means, as long as either [1] it has non-locking blades with cutting lengths below 3" / 76mm OR [2] you can demonstrate a good reason for having it.

And don't worry about falling foul of the police. If you are reasonable, so will they be. In general the police wish to harass criminals, not innocent decent folks who have made a genuine mistake.

As far as the 'criminal intent' goes, I suppose I'd better explain it. There are a number of pieces of preventative legislation that make it an offence to have with you, either 'when not at your place of abode' or 'in a public place', depending on the wording of the legislation, articles for use in burglary, theft, deception, criminal damage, causing injury etc. So no matter how innocuous the item, if the person having it with him has it for use in certain crimes, it's still illegal. So a member of the public with a torch has no problem, but a known thief caught in your back garden at 3am with gloves, a torch and a crowbar, gets arrested for 'going equipped.' [And before we go back to the tube being private property, which it is, it is also a public place, which is defined as 'a place to which the public or a section of the public have access, on payment or otherwise, at the relevant time.]

Simple, isn't it? :eek:

Actually, it isn't. The legal stuff covered in this thread wouldn't fill half a day out of a PC's 20-week basic training. That is why solicitors make lots of money and we now have a professional police force rather than the historic tradition of unpaid village constables. Don't lose sleep over it, there is similar legislation across the world, you probably just don't know about it. I'm no expert in foreign law, but I believe the US has an offence of 'assault with a deadly weapon' for example, which can get you in trouble if you use pretty much anything as a weapon.

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
It really isn't like that, honest

I concur, it's not really that bad... if you're planning on going to the woodlands or whatever for camping, there will most likely not be a problem. It's a rare occurance that you get searched "randomly", and has never happened to me. If you happen to be in a very rural area where a lot of camping takes place, you could walk around with a knife in plain view and nobody would give you a second glance. Obviously you can't do that in cities, but if you did it could be as much of a danger to you as anyone else - what if someone grabbed it from your belt, you turned instinctively... well, y'all get the picture.
I actually know a knifemaker that is from a very rural area and frequently has a knife on him... one day he was walking in the city with a knife on his belt totally absent-mindedly and got picked up by the cops, but they understood his situation.

However, the no-carrying-knives-on-public-transport bothers me. On your person, I can understand that, but I don't see a problem with it in a backpack...

Just my two cents!

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
When I first moved to New Zealand, I was involved in a car accident...my fault.
I had four knives in sheaths, on the passenger side, to deliver to a gunshop.

Two policemen were nearby, and stepped in have a look...
The short one saw the knives on the floor, and said, "Book him Pete!"

Pete asked me what they were doing there...I explained...

The other cop, whose name was Doug, still wanted to arrest me, "For possesion of dangerous weapons..."

Pete was quite happy to accept that I was a knifemaker, on the way to deliver product to a shop...

Doug still wanted to book me!

I respectively asked that Pete arrest Doug, and when he asked what for, I said "Rape"...

Pete was quick on the uptake..."Well, he is right, Doug ( that's how I found out his name)..you have the equipment, even though you have not being caught in the illegal act."

Stalemate...

The other driver and myself exchanged details, and Pete wished me well with the sale on my knives.

I have never seen those two policemen since, but I would not mind meeting Pete again... :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Martyn said:
I think it's a balance of risks. Certainly I'd rather be searched than blown up, but most of all, I'd rather have niether. I doubt we will ever completely remove the threat, so we must decide at what point the risk becomes acceptable. Or forevermore live in a country where the police randomly stop and search people. I dont really like the sound of that. Granted, it's currently only on the underground, but the fear is that it will spread.

There is an argument that says if you have nothing to hide, what is there to worry about. But that's not really the point. I put my letters in envelopes, not because I want to hide what I've written, but because what I've written is nobody elses business but mine and the person who gets the letter. It's about privacy, democracy and liberty. My grandfather fought in the war for it and we really shouldnt let it slip away easily. If this is forced on us by the terrorists, then in a sense, they have won ...at least they have won the errosion of a free and democratic Britain into something ...less.

I wish this was one of the sites where you can give 'karma' points for good posts...
That post is worth a lot of points!

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
chewie said:
<snip>

Actually, it isn't. The legal stuff covered in this thread wouldn't fill half a day out of a PC's 20-week basic training. That is why solicitors make lots of money and we now have a professional police force rather than the historic tradition of unpaid village constables. Don't lose sleep over it, there is similar legislation across the world, you probably just don't know about it. I'm no expert in foreign law, but I believe the US has an offence of 'assault with a deadly weapon' for example, which can get you in trouble if you use pretty much anything as a weapon.

<snip>

The difference is that to be charged with 'assault with a deadly weapon' you actually have to commit an assault...

I would probably weigh 2 lbs. less If I had to strip down to make myself legal in Briton.:D

Streamlight battonlight on keyring with 19 keys and photonlight, second keyring with RF car door opener and car key, third keyring with extra car key, GloToobFX Green, UV-A photonlight, UV-B photonlight, covert white photonlight, and normal white photonlight, large bottle of Tylonol Migrane, all in right pocket.
Gerber Applegate/Fairbaine Covert locking folder clipped to right front pocket, OKAPI locking folder in sheath , Firesteel and striker, whistle, permanent match, memory card, 1 CR123 3 watt LED light with crenulated bezel, blastmatch, Fallnniven sharpening stone, all in zipper pocket behind front right pocket.
Surefire E2D with crenelated bezel clipped to left front pocket, Inova 2AA LED light, Inova 2AAA LED light, Chawly Changer, tenderbox with charcloth, flint, and steel, all in left front pocket.
SPEC.-OPS. BRAND T.H.E Wallet with folding razor knife, green and red LED fishing bobber lights, in right back pocket.
Palm 5x Streamlight AAAA penlight, pen, 3 more LED lights, + Miss. all in left front shirt pocket.
Checkbook + Miss. in right front shirt pocket.
I can see quite a few things that would have to go...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
jamesraykenney said:
The difference is that to be charged with 'assault with a deadly weapon' you actually have to commit an assault...

I would probably weigh 2 lbs. less If I had to strip down to make myself legal in Briton.:D

Streamlight battonlight on keyring with 19 keys and photonlight, second keyring with RF car door opener and car key, third keyring with extra car key, GloToobFX Green, UV-A photonlight, UV-B photonlight, covert white photonlight, and normal white photonlight, large bottle of Tylonol Migrane, all in right pocket.
Gerber Applegate/Fairbaine Covert locking folder clipped to right front pocket, OKAPI locking folder in sheath , Firesteel and striker, whistle, permanent match, memory card, 1 CR123 3 watt LED light with crenulated bezel, blastmatch, Fallnniven sharpening stone, all in zipper pocket behind front right pocket.
Surefire E2D with crenelated bezel clipped to left front pocket, Inova 2AA LED light, Inova 2AAA LED light, Chawly Changer, tenderbox with charcloth, flint, and steel, all in left front pocket.
SPEC.-OPS. BRAND T.H.E Wallet with folding razor knife, green and red LED fishing bobber lights, in right back pocket.
Palm 5x Streamlight AAAA penlight, pen, 3 more LED lights, + Miss. all in left front shirt pocket.
Checkbook + Miss. in right front shirt pocket.
I can see quite a few things that would have to go...

Probably less than you might think.

1: Streamlight battonlight
You may get away with this by arguing that it's just a torch, but if the cop was switched on (pardon the pun) and knew that it is basically a kubaton with a bulb and batteries, you may get lifted for it being a prohibeted article under section 141 (f) of The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988, which states...
(f) the weapon sometimes known as a "hollow kubotan" , being a cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes;
...although a smart lawyer may argue that the absence of spikes means the batonlight is not a kubaton under the strict wording of the act.

2: Gerber Applegate/Fairbaine Covert locking folder.
It's not explicitly illegal to carry this, but you muct have a "good reason" to carry it, which probably precludes it's carry as a casual EDC.

You could be nicked for carrying an offensive weapon, for almost anything in your pocket ...but the cops would need to show that you had intent to use an item as a weapon.. The battonlight is a "designed for the job" weapon, which may be enough to establish intent, though it's uncertain ground. Some bay argue that they were not aware of it's function as a weapon (it is a bit niche), and just thought it was a slimline torch. A good lawyer would probably run far with that.

Other than that, I really cant see anything else illegal in your pockets. The 2 items I've mentioned aren't explicitly illegal, but would require some thought before carrying.

It's not as draconian as the debates would lead you to believe. The problem is, that very few people have a genuinely good grasp of the law in this country, what it allows and what it doesnt. So there is a lot of misconception and passionate debate around points that are sometimes wide of the mark.

But the real problem, is while not all that many things are explicitly illegal, there are no explicit guarantees of legality either - it's this latter point which I've noticed always seems to be the major nub of irritation. People (understandably) want black and white guarantees of legality, which simply dont exist, because out laws are based around intent, context and circumstances. You can have two individuals with the same contents in their pockets and one would be legal, the other illegal, based on context alone. That makes understanding the law a helluva lot more complicated. Ironically, it also makes enforcing the law more complex too. Many of our laws allow the police officer to use their discretion. If they feel the context is uncertain, then they may arrest. This is what worries people. To be absolutely certain you wont ever be arrested, you would have to never carry any knife at all. Other than that, you are at the mercy of the discretion of a police officer. We all have bad hair days, including cops and while an arrest for a contextually legal/illegal item, might not get past the desk sergant, it would certainly spoil your day.

It's a good tool for the police, but it isnt so good for the public.

PS - thanks for the rep. :)

Chewie, on an aside, I've read most of the transcripts for the Harris ruling and more recently, Deegan v Regina. In the latter, the judge conceeded quite plainly that "Harris" was not in the "spirit" of section 139 (though he upheld the ruling). Section 139 was never written to outlaw locking knives at all. I think at the time of writing, the fact that a locking folder could be deemed a fixed blade for legal purposes by a judge at some later date, never even entered the minds of those who drafted the law. I think while the Harris ruling is here to stay, many people feel that our legal system is enforcing a misrepresentation of the spirit and intent of the original act - something which has been conceeded by the high court itself, but is now caught in a political loop. I know there are checks and balances, but I think people feel that "Harris" is an example of how the checks and balances failed.

When section 139 was compiled, the 3" rule was written in to protect people's ability to carry a folding knife "just because I feel like it". It made no attempt at distinguishing between locking and non locking (although lock knives were commonplace at the time). The Harris ruling is a corruption of this intent, that has passed into law and stands as a good example of how the system can fail the people. Yes, I know it's been tried at higher courts since, but judges rarely overule each other and when they do, it's usually in the face of political duress. There is no political duress to overturn Harris, so it probably wont ever get overturned. It's slipped in via the back door.

The Harris ruling means I cant carry a Leatherman Wave without explicitly having a good reason. Ironically, they are such usefull tools simply to have in your pocket, I think most reasonable people would consider this restriction a bit crazy. In fact I would go as far as to say, the Leatherman Wave is exactly the kind of tool that the 3" rule was written to protect.

Just food for thought. :)

RGRBOX

Forager
Sound like a walking armory... I have a friend who would need 10 minutes to unload all of the stuff like you carry on him... I do have a Kubaton Pepper Spray on my key chain.. and have travelld thru many airports with it.. only resently do they put my wallet, keys, cell phone etc.. in a tray and run those thru the x-ray machine.. but luckly I've never had and problems..

By th eway, what is the law concerning Pepper Spray in the UK?

Thanks,

Mike B.

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
Martyn said:
Probably less than you might think.

1: Streamlight battonlight
You may get away with this by arguing that it's just a torch, but if the cop was switched on (pardon the pun) and knew that it is basically a kubaton with a bulb and batteries, you may get lifted for it being a prohibeted article under section 141 (f) of The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988, which states...

...although a smart lawyer may argue that the absence of spikes means the batonlight is not a kubaton under the strict wording of the act.
A streamlight batonlight is not a hollow kubotan, so it is not covered by the above legislation. If the officer recognises it for what it is however, a martial arts weapon [i.e. a kubotan] with a torch in the end - it falls straight in to s1 Prevention of Crimes Act 1953 as a 'made' offensive weapon. My experience of kubotans would suggest that they are so ineffective [unless the operator is so highly trained as to be a right handful with or without the little stick] that advice is the most likely result of finding one, unless the holder is a villain. However, as with all exercise of police discretion, you cannot rely on this as an outcome,

5 minutes on Google gives you all the evidence you need of what it is. [1] [2] [3]
My suggestion would be stick to proper torches, and if you fear violence so much that you wish to take precautions against attack, join a martial arts club and learn something like aikido or jiu jitsu [Krav Maga has been recommended as a quick fix but I've not seen that one in action. I've seen jiu jitsu used when necessary and was hugely impressed.]
Martyn said:
2: Gerber Applegate/Fairbaine Covert locking folder.
It's not explicitly illegal to carry this, but you muct have a "good reason" to carry it, which probably precludes it's carry as a casual EDC.
Absolutely, and you should also consider the fact that most UK coppers will look at it and think 'nasty' - not what I'd choose to carry unless I had a very good, justifiable, proveable reason. It does not look very bushcrafty or gentlemanly, and would raise eyebrows anywhere - I would say it's a no-no for the city.

Martyn said:
You could be nicked for carrying an offensive weapon, for almost anything in your pocket ...but the cops would need to show that you had intent to use an item as a weapon.. The battonlight is a "designed for the job" weapon, which may be enough to establish intent, though it's uncertain ground. Some may argue that they were not aware of it's function as a weapon (it is a bit niche), and just thought it was a slimline torch. A good lawyer would probably run far with that.
Monadnock used to give Kubotan key-rings away to police officers at police shows [before most forces settled on ASP batons], so I am reliably informed that the majority of them know what a kubotan is. With a name like BatonLite, I would not rely too much on lawyers.

Martyn said:
Other than that, I really cant see anything else illegal in your pockets. The 2 items I've mentioned aren't explicitly illegal, but would require some thought before carrying.
The Okapi Locking folder would also require a reason, but at least it looks less tactical / combat / nick-me-please.

Martyn said:
It's not as draconian as the debates would lead you to believe. The problem is, that very few people have a genuinely good grasp of the law in this country, what it allows and what it doesnt. So there is a lot of misconception and passionate debate around points that are sometimes wide of the mark.

But the real problem, is while not all that many things are explicitly illegal, there are no explicit guarantees of legality either - it's this latter point which I've noticed always seems to be the major nub of irritation. People (understandably) want black and white guarantees of legality, which simply dont exist, because out laws are based around intent, context and circumstances. You can have two individuals with the same contents in their pockets and one would be legal, the other illegal, based on context alone. That makes understanding the law a helluva lot more complicated. Ironically, it also makes enforcing the law more complex too. Many of our laws allow the police officer to use their discretion. If they feel the context is uncertain, then they may arrest. This is what worries people. To be absolutely certain you wont ever be arrested, you would have to never carry any knife at all. Other than that, you are at the mercy of the discretion of a police officer. We all have bad hair days, including cops and while an arrest for a contextually legal/illegal item, might not get past the desk sergant, it would certainly spoil your day.

It's a good tool for the police, but it isnt so good for the public.
This is all correct, including the fact that not all police officers are perfect, but I would disagree that it is a bad tool for the public.

The simple fact is that a right given freely to all, is a right given freely to a violent child rapist with 18 previous convictions for stabbing people. Hyperbole, but you get the drift. Discretion is the tool given to police officers to moderate how the law is applied - courts have the options of conditional and absolute discharges for the same purpose. Without it, either the criminals get to carry a dagger without question and only get arrested if they use it, or there would be a blanket ban [I have carried a pocket knife since age 12 and am too old to get used to being without it.]

I'd look at it as the 'least worst option.'

Martyn said:
Chewie, on an aside, I've read most of the transcripts for the Harris ruling and more recently, Deegan v Regina. In the latter, the judge conceeded quite plainly that "Harris" was not in the "spirit" of section 139 (though he upheld the ruling). Section 139 was never written to outlaw locking knives at all. I think at the time of writing, the fact that a locking folder could be deemed a fixed blade for legal purposes by a judge at some later date, never even entered the minds of those who drafted the law. I think while the Harris ruling is here to stay, many people feel that our legal system is enforcing a misrepresentation of the spirit and intent of the original act - something which has been conceeded by the high court itself, but is now caught in a political loop. I know there are checks and balances, but I think people feel that "Harris" is an example of how the checks and balances failed.

When section 139 was compiled, the 3" rule was written in to protect people's ability to carry a folding knife "just because I feel like it". It made no attempt at distinguishing between locking and non locking (although lock knives were commonplace at the time). The Harris ruling is a corruption of this intent, that has passed into law and stands as a good example of how the system can fail the people. Yes, I know it's been tried at higher courts since, but judges rarely overule each other and when they do, it's usually in the face of political duress. There is no political duress to overturn Harris, so it probably wont ever get overturned. It's slipped in via the back door.

The Harris ruling means I cant carry a Leatherman Wave without explicitly having a good reason. Ironically, they are such usefull tools simply to have in your pocket, I think most reasonable people would consider this restriction a bit crazy. In fact I would go as far as to say, the Leatherman Wave is exactly the kind of tool that the 3" rule was written to protect.

Just food for thought. :)
Agreed. Haven't found any laws that say Judges must make sense, unfortunately.

I remember swapping to a non-locking swiss army knife when this came about. My leatherman charge stays at home unless I have good reason for it, and I usually use a Juice from day to day [the Pro / XE6 is a touch heavy, I quite like the CS4, but I digress...] I also remember Cops getting beaten up at Poll Tax Riots, even though the Police reviled Poll Tax because it cost each and every one of them thousands of pounds a year [part of the police pay package included an allowance for 'Rates' - in changing its name to Poll Tax the government also took away that element of police salary that covered rates, so in effect they paid twice], and the wholesale closure of police pistol shooting clubs post-Dunblane.

The police only enforce it, they don't write it, and sometimes these changes in law mean that they as individuals have to change what they do outside of work, just like everyone else does. After all, we all know that it is far easier to stab someone with a locking blade than with one that folds and might take the attacker's fingers off. The police are not the enemy, they are the public just like the rest of us, and although we may not always agree with an individual choice in exercising [or not] their discretion, we should also all remember that some people genuinely do not think carriage of any knife should be allowed.

Where the balance lies is a political question, and I'd stay with the discretion over a blanket ban any day.

Personally, I think the legislation is about right at the moment.

If there was to be a media-frenzy-generated governmental knee-jerk, I'd like to see a graduated ban on the possession of knives for persons who have been convicted of crimes, as there is with firearms. The more serious the crimes for which you have been convicted, the longer the ban. [Before the flame wars begin, we aren't talking about parking tickets and the like - we are talking about significant offences.]

If you get convicted for stabbing someone, you get banned for life from carrying a knife, on top of whatever other too-lenient sentence you might get.

This way, upstanding citizens are not affected - criminals lose the freedom to carry a knife, but they should not have broken the law previously. I do get a bit fed up with citizens being ever-more restricted in response to the actions of criminals - let's target the criminals specifically.

RGRBOX said:
By the way, what is the law concerning Pepper Spray in the UK?
CS/CN//OC sprays [and electric stun guns] are all prohibited weapons by virtue of s5 Firearms Act 1968 [item capable of discharging a noxious substance or other thing]. Possession is an indictable offence, you WILL get arrested if found in possession of it, no real chance of discretion here. Leave it at home, do not bring it to the UK.

jamesraykenney said:
Indeed, but to charge for 'possessing an offensive weapon' for an improvised weapon you need to prove intent - so the culprit would either need to have used it, or threatened to use it, or have admitted intending to use it. I think we'd all agree that our two nations are poles apart on weapons legislation. The point I was trying to make is most jurisdictions legislate for the use of innocuous items as weapons - even the U.S.!

jamesraykenney said:
If I had that lot in my pockets, I think a pair of industrial braces would be on my every-day list [I believe they are called suspenders in the US - which are very different things here :D ], or the most likely thing to be arrested for is indecent exposure as gravity takes effect!!!

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
Martyn,

Would there be any benefit from a thread for UK-legal kit - by which I mean kit that may be carried on a public street without the need to provide justification for doing so - to provide info for those who feel the need to carry such items on a daily basis?

Just a thought.

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
Martyn said:
... I would go as far as to say, the Leatherman Wave is exactly the kind of tool that the 3" rule was written to protect.

I feel sure you're right, but only legislation will change that now, and I can't see any of the politicians having the inclination......

sionhughes

Feb 15, 2006
Northampton
Really interesting discussion. Thought I'd let you all know of a situation I found myself in.

I'm a field archer and some time ago I was in the bit of private woodland our club uses with some friends, all of us with bows, arrows and good solid knives (useful for cutting arrows out of tight spots), when a policeman turned up and took in the scene.

He didn't even ask!

It was so obvious that what we were doing was legal and all our equipment was being carried for a good reason that he didn't bat an eyelid. He just wanted to let us know that our cars might have been vulnerable to thieves. He even had a go with my bow!

Some (I suspect most) coppers have the judgement we hope for.

Sion

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
"It is an offence to carry a knife in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket-knife with a blade not exceeding three inches. Those found guilty face a penalty of up to two years imprisonment. Possession of an offensive weapon without lawful authority or reasonable excuse carries a maximum penalty of 4 years imprisonment. Certain knives, such as flick-knives, are categorised as offensive weapons." (Lancashire Police)

As long as your folding pocket-knife's blade does not exceed 3 inches, you can carry it with you without fear of arrest. It's a multi-tool for goodness sake. You do NOT need a good reason to be carrying it because the Law says you don't. If you carry any folding blade longer than 3" or a fixed blade, then you will need to be able to justify your need to be carrying it.

Why is everyone so worried about this? The wording is pretty explicitly clear to me. The Law assumes you are reasonably sane and law-abiding citizens and so carry a multi-tool because you never know when you may need a screwdriver or have to remove a stone from a horse's hoof... and not because you want to plunge a steel blade into the subcutaneous layers of fat of some angry drunk idiot who 'dissed-you-man-oh-my-gosh-innit-know-what-ah-mean-like'.

If you drive a car... in theory you know the Laws of the road: if you carry a knife... know the Law. Ignorance is no defence in either case. Knowledge dispels fear!

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
Big Steve said:
"
As long as your folding pocket-knife's blade does not exceed 3 inches, you can carry it with you without fear of arrest. It's a multi-tool for goodness sake. You do NOT need a good reason to be carrying it because the Law says you don't. If you carry any folding blade longer than 3" or a fixed blade, then you will need to be able to justify your need to be carrying it.

What you say is essentially correct Steve and has been discussed at great length in the thread.

The bone of contention that Martyn was pointing out is that caselaw [DEEGAN and HARRIS] has resulted in blades that lock open being classified as fixed blades not folding. As the Leatherman Wave he specifically mentioned has locking blades, the law as it stands does require justification for possession of it. Other multitools [e.g. juice models] with non-locking blades under 3"/76mm do not require a reason [as long as there is no criminal intent - again see above]..

I'd hate for someone to get in the manure unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE