Reasons for carrying a knife (in the UK).......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Cheers Martyn - it's as I thought. Sorry to badger but does this include sub 3" non-lockers?

Tatatatata

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
Minotaur said:
This is going to be fun.

He is wrong

The law clearly states that context and reason apply, so on my way to and from Martial Arts class I can carry a sword in a bag. If stopped, yes officer here is my license and look there is my smelly gi. Same thing going into a pub, going to jail. You can carry any number of items, that only become illegal when your reason is stated i.e. a baseball bat for self defense.

One of the problems is what you said it is down to the officer and people have got done for legal carrys i.e. non locking SAK. One of the reasons I have stopped carrrying in certain cucrumstances is because I do not want my journey delayed by a trip to the local nick, and a day in court when I refuse the fine.

Also I think we have to accept that the world has changed as far as being in a public places (i.e. any public transport), even with good reason, with any blade. If I was a Police Officer in this day and age, the risk is not worth it.
wrong, there are 3 types of weapon, manufactured, improvised, and intended, this covers anything, from a bag of joiners tools to a laaw 80, if a police officer thinks you are a threat you are nicked, there is no good reason for carrying a knife in the uk, just had it confirmed on the phone by a serving officer in the south yorks police, like i said its upto the individual officer and sercumstance,

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
hilltop said:
wrong, there are 3 types of weapon, manufactured, improvised, and intended, this covers anything, from a bag of joiners tools to a laaw 80, if a police officer thinks you are a threat you are nicked, there is no good reason for carrying a knife in the uk, just had it confirmed on the phone by a serving officer in the south yorks police, like i said its upto the individual officer and sercumstance,

No good reason? What is your Police friend talking about? What about religious reasons? What about national dress? What about work?

I think what we have here is a case where a police officer isn't aware of the finer points of a portion of our legal system. I would be interested to find out what your Police friend would have to say about 1988 Criminal Justice Act....

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
i think i am going to ban my self from this site, if you ppl believe you are above the law, you need to open your eyes, 11 ppl have died in stabbings since the knife amnesty, you are very foolish and dangerous, and you question the opinion of a serving police officer, ,,,,,,,,,,hands up all the coppers in here? you like knives, full stop,

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
hilltop said:
there is no good reason,,,,,,,,,,,that doesnt mean you cant do it like he said ITS DOWN TO THE DESCRETION OF THE INDIVIDUAL OFFICER, heres a quest then,,,,,,,,,put your f*cking money where your arm chair warrior mouth is and TRY IT !!!!!!!! i think you will all find the law will win, lol,

There is no reason to be abusive.

The Police interpret the law.The Police are bound by the law. The Police do not make the law.

A policeman does have discretionary powers,within the law.He must justify his decisions.

Not all policemen understand all of the laws of the land.

Reactions: Toddy

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
hilltop said:
i think i am going to ban my self from this site, if you ppl believe you are above the law, you need to open your eyes, 11 ppl have died in stabbings since the knife amnesty, you are very foolish and dangerous, and you question the opinion of a serving police officer, ,,,,,,,,,,hands up all the coppers in here? you like knives, full stop,

I don't think anyone here considers themselves above the law - quite the opposite if this thread is any indication.

The law on knife carry is complex but it does clearly state that there are good reasons for carry. The fact that your police contact doesn't understand that, thankfully doesn't change it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
hilltop said:

Y'know there's a strand of opinion that countenances the instant ban of anyone who threatens to ban themselves :D

No one on this site has claimed to be above the law.
The simple fact is; to us knives are tools.
We are very aware however, that our tools can be misused.
The thread is intended to discuss the legalities of the situation; not how to get around the law, but how to work safely within it.

While your opinion has it's place, your invective is unnecessary.

Cheers,
Toddy

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Surely we can have this discussion and keep it civil. There are at least two serving officers on British Blades (probably more). They (Ross in particular) regularly answer questions regarding knives and the law and all of the ins and outs have been discussed at great length. The law cannot be debated. Abide by the law and you have not broken it.

Reactions: Toddy

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
Toddy said:
Y'know there's a strand of opinion that countenances the instant ban of anyone who threatens to ban themselves :D

No one on this site has claimed to be above the law.
The simople fact is; to us knives are tools.
We are very aware however, that our tools can be misused.
The thread is intended to discuss the legalities of the situation; not how to get around the law, but how to work safely within it.

While your opinion has it's place your invective is unnecessary.

Cheers,
Toddy
then ban me, saves me the trouble of deleting from my book marks,

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Bump on that BR.

I certainly don't feel above the law. I have read and reread the various laws pertaining to the carrying of knives. I have asked those with considerable knowledge on the subject (eg Martyn, et al) for clarification and I am certain that I am well within my legal rights to carry a knife in a public place (on the occasions that I do).

Saying that we are both dangerous and foolish, whilst including us in a sentence concerning recent knife attacks is unpleasant, inaccurate and wholly uncalled for. The majority of the members here practice their craft within the legal boundaries of the law and would never, I repeat, never use a knife to harm others.

So we like knives. I like cars and dogs too - can you see where I'm going with this?

Do you actually practice bushcraft? How on earth do you manage without a knife? I'm sure that we would all love for you to thrill us with your knifeless art - it must be legend! :)

Your police friend, whilst I'm sure an honorable person, is quite wrong with his take on the law. Might I suggest that you read the relevant texts before preaching to us - you might be respected for it rather than derided.

edit - Heh! The number of people who proclaim that they 'can't be bothered' but then hang around to fuel the flames. If you can't be bothered, then please, why not leave? At least that way, you wouldn't need to add 'liar' to your list of egregious qualities.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wayland said:
Errr.... what airport legislation.......

I often have to carry my bag ot "tools" into airports to check them in.

Is there something else I should know.... :sigh:

Section 4 of the Aviation Security Act 1982
Offences in relation to certain dangerous articles

here is the entirity of section 4..

4 Offences in relation to certain dangerous articles
(1) It shall be an offence for any person without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof of which shall lie on him) to have with him—
(a) in any aircraft registered in the United Kingdom, whether at a time when the aircraft is in the United Kingdom or not, or
(b) in any other aircraft at a time when it is in, or in flight over, the United Kingdom, or
© in any part of an aerodrome in the United Kingdom, or
(d) in any air navigation installation in the United Kingdom which does not form part of an aerodrome.
any article to which this section applies.
(2) This section applies to the following articles, that is to say—
(a) any firearm, or any article having the appearance of being a firearm, whether capable of being discharged or not;
(b) any explosive, any article manufactured or adapted (whether in the form of a bomb, grenade or otherwise) so as to have the appearance of being an explosive, whether it is capable of producing a practical effect by explosion or not, or any article marked or labelled so as to indicate that it is or contains an explosive; and any article (not falling within either of the preceding paragraphs) made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person or for destroying or damaging property, or intended by the person having it with him for such use, whether by him or by any other person.
(3) For the purposes of this section a person who is for the time being in an aircraft, or in part of an aerodrome, shall be treated as having with him in the aircraft, or in that part of the aerodrome, as the case may be, an article to which this section applies if—
(a) where he is in an aircraft, the article, or an article in which it is contained, is in the aircraft and has been caused (whether by him or by any other person) to be brought there as being, or as forming part of, his baggage on a flight in the aircraft or has been caused by him to be brought there as being, or as forming part of, any other property to be carried on such a flight, or
(b) where he is in part of an aerodrome (otherwise than in an aircraft), the article, or an article in which it is contained, is in that or any other part of the aerodrome and has been caused (whether by him or by any other person) to be brought into the aerodrome as being, or as forming part of, his baggage on a flight from that aerodrome or has been caused by him to be brought there as being, or as forming part of, any other property to be carried on such a flight on which he is also to be carried,
notwithstanding that the circumstances may be such that (apart from this subsection) he would not be regarded as having the article with him in the aircraft or in a part of the aerodrome, as the case may be.
(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to both;
(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.
(5) Nothing in subsection (3) above shall be construed as limiting the circumstances in which a person would, apart from that subsection, be regarded as having an article with him as mentioned in subsection (1) above.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
hilltop said:

Being arrested and being guilty of an offence is not the same thing.

If you have a good reason to have a sword in your posession, you are not breaking the law.

Of course you could be arrested, but if you have a genuine good reason for carry, the police will be obliged so set you free (with your sword) and without charge.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
your wish is granted , you worship guys like ray mears,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i have lived the bush craft /survival thing, done it for real in defence of this country, and in defence of your right to free speak, been in life and death situations, thought i might find some ppl on here with the same back grown and experiences, ppl who had actually been in the wilds for real, not on a supervised course,,,,,,lol, but alas, where as i have been and seen, had to do it for real, it seems i am trying to talk to ppl who have NO ******* IDEA WHAT LIVING IN THE WILDERNESS IS ABOUT , i spent 5 years out of 7 in the worst enviroments on this planet, most of the time practising " bushcraft" under fire from some bunch of ****s or another, i have watched my friends die coz we cant get to a clearing in the jungle in time for the medivac, i have seen friends lose legs and feet to other peoples mines, and i have given lessons on living in this nightmare to others DONT CALL ME A ******* LIAR you sad arm chair/ back garden explorer, utrinque paratus.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
hilltop said:
your wish is granted , you worship guys like ray mears,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i have lived the bush craft /survival thing, done it for real in defence of this country, and in defence of your right to free speak, been in life and death situations, thought i might find some ppl on here with the same back grown and experiences, ppl who had actually been in the wilds for real, not on a supervised course,,,,,,lol, but alas, where as i have been and seen, had to do it for real, it seems i am trying to talk to ppl who have NO ******* IDEA WHAT LIVING IN THE WILDERNESS IS ABOUT , i spent 5 years out of 7 in the worst enviroments on this planet, most of the time practising " bushcraft" under fire from some bunch of ****s or another, i have watched my friends die coz we cant get to a clearing in the jungle in time for the medivac, i have seen friends lose legs and feet to other peoples mines, and i have given lessons on living in this nightmare to others DONT CALL ME A ******* LIAR you sad arm chair/ back garden explorer, utrinque paratus.

That's all well and good, but what has it to do with law?

Needless to say, you are banned for that outburst. :rolleyes:

Why do folks find it so hard to debate without this crap?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
hilltop said:

Please close the door on your way out.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE