Rain - bushcraft and survival - discuss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I recently had an experience where it poured down during the night soaking all the wood i had stacked by the fire the night before. I spent a long time trying to find some dry kindling on the trees, e.g. very small twigs etc. but to no avail.

It should be bourne in mind that i did have a lighter so the flame wasn't the issue it was finding something that would burn. After about an hour i managed to get the old fire going again by using two fire dogs. Using the lighter i got a tiny part glowing, i then carefully placed the other fire dog against the glowing ember and then i just kept blowing and blowing until i got the smallest of flames. This was just enough to feed with the hastily prepared (and not very good looking) feather sticks made from the inside of the soaked wood which was relatively dry.

I was on my own throughout this and it was an excellent training session. I

have been on meets where people carry a small patch of bicycle inner tube, once you get a flame it will keep burning for some time.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It strikes me as strange that the Brits are the only race on the surface of the planet who are constantly supprised by rain in autumn, cold during the winter and other "Unseasonal" weather - when will they take notice - this happens regularly and predictably.

Ogri the trog

But then this trait comes from the nation that created the expression "too good by half". Surely "good" should be celebrated rather than done down in the same way that weather should be enjoyed because it's never the same and certainly never reliably predictable.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I wouldn't be able to call myself a Canadian student of Survival or a Canadian Bushcrafter, without relishing in the turmoil of rainy cold weather.

Yes relish in it.

This is mostly for Central Ontario environments, but the trees I mention I'm sure you can find anywhere.

First thing's first, get a roof up, to get whatever you wish to get dry, stay dry(er) than the area around it. Also helps when you're trying to make a fire.

Next, remember that you can always find dry tinder and dry firewood, you just need to look for it. Here, the two best tinders are cedar and birch bark. Even in torrential downpours, I've found workable tinder on both. Look on the leeward side of the tree, under hung up dead trees, etc etc. Shave it finely with the edge of your knife, and if needed, tuck it into your shirt, to let the moisture dissipate from your body heat, and the shirt's wicking ability (as Mors Kochanski mentioned in his book, I've used that trick ever since).

Want a good fine tinder you can find in even extra wet conditions? Check woodpecker holes, you can sometimes find the dust left over from the bird pecking, and the bugs themselves. Add some pine resin, if you're starting the fire with an open flame.

Now as for kindling... Ray Mears suggested feather sticks in one episode of his bushcraft show. I like that trick, but for quick firemaking? Get the lower dead limbs of pine, cedar and balsam fir. This stuff is chalk full of resin, which burns hot and readily. Just break it up, and if it's thick enough (finger thick), carefully split with a knife, to expose the drier insides to the flames.

Under your roof (tarp is best, like a basha, or a poncho), lay a base of your damper wood. Then build a teepee with your drier wood above this. The base helps keep the tinder away from the soaked ground.

My preffered method of firemaking in any situation is sparks, from a firesteel, or (my favourite) flint and steel. Even when wet they'll function. Bang, get a spark, make an ember. Blow to flame, Stick inside teepee of kindling. Well.. it goes from there.

After that, I re adjust my tarp, to keep it from getting melted. I then work on a more productive shelter, caring for the fire as I work. I make an elevated bough bed, to keep me away from the water. Then work hard at perfecting the shelter, and gathering firewood. All can be done within an hour or an hour and a half, with practise.

Done it before, and I'll do it again... and again... and again.. and *rambles off*

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
After spending 2 years working in a quarry - outdoors whatever the weather, rain sleet or snow - I used to absolutely hate rain. Rain combined with windchill ( the place was on the top of a hill) was the worst; turned some days into a living hell!
But, now I don't mind it so much. I still have the attitude that if it's raining I'm going to get wet, so why fight it, which in some ways makes it easier I think. You can ignore it and get on with stuff. Just as long as you have the capability to stay warm once you've stopped!
Who you're with and what you're doing also makes a big difference; mind over matter! I remember a few years ago climbing in the alps with some friends. We'd spent the day between 2-3,000m, it was extremely windy, blowing rain / sleet, but because we were there voluntarily (in fact we'd walked up in the same conditions the day before) we had a whale of a time
This was a photo I took on the way down. It was literally the clouds parted, the rain stopped... what more could you ask for :)

007.jpg

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
As for bushcraft in the rain (sorry, I've gone OT a bit!), well as always having the right kit's probably the key.
I'm not a big fan of building shelters in the rain (it's been a year or two since I last tried but I got cold and wet - need I say more) - a tarp or poncho is so much easier and makes life so much more comfortable.
Gathering tinder and firewood before the rain starts is obviously ideal, if not feathersticks do work - you can light very fine shaved ones directly from a LMF flint and steel. A decent sleeping bag, light bivy bag, a couple armfuls of firewood in there with you, and in no time you're as snug as a bug in a rug! :D
Is that bushcraft or is that ultra lightweight camping? I don't know. Bit of both maybe. I guess when I'm comfortable I could always carve another spoon to swing it ;)

Maybe i am being abit of a sexpest but i find the rain invigorating,i feel alive in the harshest of thunder storms.

As one of my old training corporals use to say "skin is waterproof!"

When i am mooching about i always put up my basha first.

A basha and a nice fire expells all negativity when it comes to the 'R' word.

Failing that stick a dress on and call yourself Wendy.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Maybe i am being abit of a sexpest but i find the rain invigorating,i feel alive in the harshest of thunder storms.

As one of my old training corporals use to say "skin is waterproof!"

When i am mooching about i always put up my basha first.

A basha and a nice fire expells all negativity when it comes to the 'R' word.

Failing that stick a dress on and call yourself Wendy.

Ex Squaddie a sex pest I just won't have it I tell you I just won't have it!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
in my experience its al about trying to stay warm and dry as much as possible, by the time youre cold wet and miserable bushcraft becomes survival.

maybe im being obsessive but why does noone mention food? fat and sugar helps the internal heater burn doesnt it? also dont forget warm food is great for morale

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you've never made feather sticks other than to just have a go, you need a few more than you think! Once you have made them, make the same amount again and you'll have enough! I've used them before, but at Middlewood just wanted to get the fire going. Bad prep and trying to cut corners meant it took even longer to get the fire going, as we had to start again. Lesson learnt.

Spindrift

Feb 25, 2007
Highlands Scotland
I'm with Porcupine on this one - keeping warm and dry is the best way to handle it.
Most of my outdoor stuff has been mountain based, not much kindling available! Camping and biviing in bad conditions for days is ok as long as you keep your sleeping gear dry. It is not nice putting on freezing wet clothes in the morning but when active they do warm up. Sleeping in wet gear in the cold is a recipe for hypothermia. As stated a supply of energy needs to put into the body as well as adequate hydration. But then you knew all that.
Cheers -- Spindrift.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Juat been out from 9.30am - 3.00pm and it never stopped raining once. High winds as well. As far as I'm concerned that is great weather. I think, as has been said already, preparation is the key - fortune favours the prepared mind! In this country people would have been ready for this sort of weather, firewood dry, cut and protected from the elements, Foods safely gathered, preserved and protected from vermin and the elements. Not like us. I despair when I see people get into a panic when there is a couple of inches of snow, particularly in cities and towns. Basically we have had it too good for too long. If and when there is a real problem, them large parts of society will fall to pieces, oh, and expect someone else to do something about it.:soapbox:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Rain! Wind! Rain AND Wind! You're all a bunch of.............. Sorry about that, i've just come in from an 'Interesting weekend in the woods, up the Neath Valley. I'll tell you all about it when i eventually get feeling back in my fingers s uhbfkluwvbef \skld vk,:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You wuss Jed - just got in from a wild w/e myself!
Warm comfey and well fed the whole time despite the weather - must be a skills thing......

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
YOU CHEEKY MONKEY! I was warm and EXTREMELY well fed:) Had a fire going from beginning to end. However, it was blowing a gale and you cannot move around much in a dark forest, knee deep in mud. Mind you, all the wood was soaked through so it was very smokey. Hammock and hexfly worked a treat (as usual) and the Nanok kept me toasty!

I can only surmise that your 'Wild' weekend consisted of you sleeping in the garden with Mrs F bringing you hot snacks and a steady supply of Coffee and Captain Morgans finest.:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No - not the back garden but in a little wood not far from my home where I now have perm to play!
The wood is wild not having been touched for over 28 years and concists of Scots Pine Ash, Silver Birch and lots of thorn.
It is up on a ridge - so exposed to the weather not like cozy dingles - and we took full brunt of the weather, but good siting of the camp meant that no one got cold wet muddy etc and we were gently rocked to sleep in our hammocks while the wind sang lullabies in the tree tops.
Mrs F did visit during Sun (in between bits of housework you understand) and it was not Rum but good honest Malt I was sipping as I reclined on Rudolf under the group shelter
LottieLouandthecommunalshelter.jpg

Mybivvi.jpg

Lottie Lou should be writing a post so I will say no more.... except I for one had a great time!
The site is only available to me and a very small number of my friends at a time so nya!:nana:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
The site is only available to me and a very small number of my friends at a time so nya!:nana:[/QUOTE]

That is convenient considering the small number of friends you have!:D Seriously, Glyn-Y-Mul was only a cold place because you were'nt there John!;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Geeeee!
You keep on being this nice and you your Mrs, little Jed and the hounds might get an invite.....
Quite a lot of weather this w/e wasn't there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE