Rain - bushcraft and survival - discuss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Sure was. I've spent this lunchtime cleaning all my sharp's. Lupo (with it's nice new clothes) looked shabby, my Leuku (stainless) was'nt bad, but Cegga has now got some interesting pitting! All the leather sheaths and covers were soaked through, even though they are waxed and oiled and that did not have a nice effect on my shiney's. A little time and effort has them nice and clean again but i cannot get the pitting off Cegga. Still, this is the price you pay for not being a fairweather 'Scrafter'. Tools are meant to be used not kept in a drawer, nice and shiney. The same as the rest of your kit, no point in getting all these goretex lined boots and nice tarps if they never see mud and rain is there? Bushcraft is not exclusively a summer pursuit. Oh, btw, Ventile works in the most severe conditions and i know this through experience, just as you do John.

Did you get the opportunity to use your new favourite Damascus? Looked good in the pic's before use. Probably has even more character now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh yes - my damascus had an outing and along with my SFA and Laplander and of course a frost spoon knife produced a usable big serving spoon.
However, I managed to keep most of my gear dry (a 5m x 5m tarp helps) and although things got damp, a quick strop and oil is all they needed to get them back to imaculate condition once I got home.
I realized when it came to airing my kit that I was only using a 2 season rated sl bag (Snug Pak) and that is why I had to wear a hat in bed to stay cozy!
My Ventile jkt (Bison Bushcraft) kept me nice and dry, but I will admit to struggling to get the fire burning quickly due to everything (including my imported dry tinder) absorbing vast amounts of damp.
The standing dead timber on the site I was on was mainly thorn and I have spent the past few hours dethorning my hands. All the firewood was pretty wet on the outside and the fire pretty smokey.....but that adds to the flavour of the food!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Typical!
A wet and windy w/e where the fun was in trying to keep as dry as possible and keep a fire burning despite the conditions.
Now that everyone is back in work the sky is clear, the air is still and there is a frost sharp enough to see the pheasants tracks across my back garden!
Individual leaves have a rim of ice crystals, the water butt a skim of ice, the birdsong is loud and clear as the light from the early sun gives a golden glow to the world.
I may abandon my planned session writing up gear reviews and go for a walk - if the builder arrives to be set to work before everthing warms up.....

Bah! Some people have all the fun. I take my trangia down to my local woods, but i don't think i'd camp there. I've done it in the past, but each time i go down there, it seems i end up having to drag more rubbish back with me.

Afraid i'd wake up with all my kit pinched, or beaten half to death.

Don't have permission either, so can't light any fires.

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
To be honest I've found no greater sense of acheivement than lighting a fire and building a shelter in the rain. Sitting in a basic lean-to, slowly drying, supping on a hot brew whilst watching the rain sheet down gives a certain inner warmth. To know that you're ok, that you passed some kind of test and elemental conditions are water off the proverbials ducks back...

Or is this just my lack of experience and the thrill soon wears off? We shall see.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE