Rabbit Offal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Just wondering if anyone has any recepies/ideas using rabbit offal, liver, heart kidney etc? have cooked and eaten plenty of rabbit meat, but never bothered with the innards, hence the question.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

Where do I start? rabbit kidneys and liver, slowley done in butter and a little olive oil in a pan are a wonderfull hunters breakfast... especially when you've been out all night.

Or roast them down with the carcass to make a wonderfull stock.

One of the best ways is if your gonna make a rabbit stew is to chop up the lights, liver, and kidneys along with the heart ( really small ) and if you do it slowly they mush up and make such a BIG flavourfull gravy that you wouldnt believe. ( Also if folks are squemish they don't know its in there) but is makes a gravy that is ....... heaven.

GB

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I would never hav thought to fry them up for breakfast, now that does sound like a plan to me next time i can get my hands on a bunny. thanks very much for that suggestion Goatboy

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Cor! Offal!
Rabbit kidneys, livers, hearts and lights. Finely chopped. pan fried with touch of chilli, pig nuts and maybe 'wild garlic'. Served while the rest of humanity is yet to wake and the world is fresh . clean and young again.
The very Ambrosia of the country side.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I would never hav thought to fry them up for breakfast, now that does sound like a plan to me next time i can get my hands on a bunny. thanks very much for that suggestion Goatboy

Hi Eel,

No worries, just remember to do them slowly otherwise they can become a bit tough. The little olive oil stops the butter from burning if it all gets too hot ( Thanks Hairy Bikers ), though you do want the heat to stay low so they go slow and just melt in the mouth. Hmm with runny fried eggs and toasted home made bread. :D

Where's that dog? ... we're off out to get a bunny right now. lol

TTFN
Goatboy.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Finally managed to come by some more rabbit livers and kidneys, gently fried as per Goatboys suggestion above, with a few mushrooms and a rasher of bacon, was the best meal i have had in a long while :)

bivibabe

May 5, 2009
loch eck argyll
I'm trying to think of a way to ask this and not sound like a silly girl, but I can't so I'll just ask it straight out, what are rabbit "lights"?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
"lights" are the lungs ;)
good food is lungs :D prime ingredient of haggis and great cooked slow.
missus would scream and run if i had em in the house mind :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,

Dougster: - You can eat Mixxy rabbits, they are perfectly safe for human consumption as mixxy wont affect humans. What you do have to watch is that as their immune system is depressed whilst they are ill, they can pick up secondary infections or are more susceptible to parasites. So in a mixxy rabbit you would always do a small autopsy on it ( as I do for any animal I butcher, looking for healthy organs and making sure they have no worms or flukes). Remember that with any wild meat you should be doing this as you don't want to get worms. In fact in certain areas of Germany have a look, especially in older houses and establishments and the toilets are slightly different. The loos have a special "pan" so that you can inspect your poo to make sure you don't have worms and the like as they eat so much pork - which had a habit of harbouring these nasties.

Lights do make good eating and we mustn't forget the sweetbreads and testicles, these have kind've fallen from favour in the UK but are pretty yummy too.

GB.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Check out last night's (19 November) River Cottage (it'll be on 4OnDemand) - rabbit haggis. Num num num.

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE