Kids bushcraft gifts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ramblingrose

Jan 25, 2022
Porthcawl
I know it's alittle early for xmas however I've engaged my children in starting out in the bushcraft world. At present they use my bits and bobs but I was wondering if you guy could probably give me ideas what I might be able to put together as a nice little gift set for then for christmas. I'm thinking foraging pouch, their own ferrous rod, first aid kit etc. Any must haves or things not to get that I'm over looking.

They are different ages, 6, 10 and 13 but have all done basic knife skills with me and basic fire lighting.

We have got identification books in the house and previous years they have had nature logs to journal with.

Thanks in advance

Rose

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A magnifying glass for each of them. Something like this that folds into its own case

It can be used not just for looking at things close up but fire starting and, if your kids are anything like I was in my younger life, basic pyrography scorching patterns and initials into wood and leather as well

Reactions: Ramblingrose

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have just given two of my grandchildren (9 and 13) their first SAKs - they're only allowed access to them when they're with me mind. The third (6 year old) knows she has to wait to have her own.

I've already given them small backpacks, compass, torch, whistle and a coil of paracord :)

Ramblingrose

Jan 25, 2022
Porthcawl
We have bags set up for just heading down the beach (in the summer) as we live close to the sea. But I like the idea of one for being out and about too with everything in to grab and go.

Like the magnifying glass too.

And who doesn't like abit of pyrography. Although I'm looking for some tool ideas to use in the fire and not really finding many from the searches I've done so far, it's all electric.

Ramblingrose

Jan 25, 2022
Porthcawl
I have just given two of my grandchildren (9 and 13) their first SAKs - they're only allowed access to them when they're with me mind. The third (6 year old) knows she has to wait to have her own.

I've already given them small backpacks, compass, torch, whistle and a coil of paracord :)
Anything that needs to be used with close adult supervision will be kept in my lockable basket to avoid temptation even though they do have a good understanding that sort of thing shouldn't be messed with.

It is the little things that I'd forget about putting in.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Along with what the others have said, I would second a whistle.
It gives kids much more confidence in the woods if they can call out and hear you back. My kids certainly liked having something there for reassurance when they were much smaller. When they can't see you they know you're there.
If you set up a call and response system, you can check they're OK too.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would be a fan of books by Jean Craighead George. My Side of the Mountain, and Talking Earth being the best, although Julie of the Wolves seems to appear the most on Abe Books.

First aid kit is good. Sliver gripper tweezers that can go on a key chain. Peanut lighter, very small whistle, Photon micro light, all on a key ring fob thing, maybe something made with paracord.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
So far, I have given my twin grandsons each a compass and a respectable pair of binoculars. At age 9, I know that they have been on tenting camp trips and they are learning fire setting and fire lighting to cook on. I think their hand-eye coordination is good, they play different field sports. Probably time for some cord and a booklet of a dozen(?) common knots that could be found in camp sites.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I hadn’t heard of “Bushcraft”, but was out in the woods unsupervised at age 10 with pocket knives, BB gun, sling shot and matches. Getting a shoulder bag to carry stuff in was a huge thing. At age 12 I got an old WWII gas mask bag and that got years of use. I particularly liked that the bag had various sub pockets that I could organise my stuff in, not just one pocket that everything got dumped into. Making choices about what could fit where was part of the fun.

Reactions: Broch and TLM

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think that the basics have been covered, a few suggestions still:
- a small tarp, few things are as satisfying as a having a "house" of your own, rain protection too
- freeze dried meal waiting for the next outing and fire
- maybe a set of emergency action cards, they'll learn morse in a week also word alphabet

I agree with previous suggestions on a small shoulder bag or back pack

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Lightweight equipment for children:

The following packing list was developed for a central European 3 seasons use. We did search for good quality but reasonably priced equipment that's available in Europe, ready to invest money in items that can be used for many years, but saving money at clothing, because children usualy grow out of it.

The concept is that the child gets so incredibly light equipment, that it is able to carry a complete equipment easily.

That is meant as an educational program, similar to the education of professional violin players or sport stars.
The child gets very early a complete real equipment and learns how to use it self reliant.

Father carries for both:
Tarp 3x3 metres
Pathfinder Bushpot 1,8 litres
Perhaps gas stove
Soap
Tooth paste
Food
Water
Victorinox Compact or Climber
First Aid Kit with tick card
And his own equipment of course.

The child carries the following:

Rucksack

Quechua hiking rucksack MH 500 children
30 litres. Navy blue 783g

Hip belt pocket:
Head lamp Petzl e-Lite, 26g
Decathlon carabiner hook compass, 16g
Opinel No 6 Carbone, 27g
Matchbox 10g

Flap pocket outside:
Quechua gloves fleece MH 500
children, black 30g
Kipsta cap Keep Warm children grey 30g
(Also in the sleeping bag)
Solognac cap Camouflage 65g

Luxe Outdoor XS bag (wash kit) 12g
NABAIJI microfibre towel S, black 45g
Folding tooth brush 13g

Flap pocket inside:
Falke hiking socks Navyblue 30g
Swimming shorts 40g
Solognac T-Shirt oliv 100g

Outer pouch (mesh):
Solognac Poncho, oliv, 275g
(Also as groundsheet)
Rain over trousers Solognac 300g

Side pouches (mesh):
2x Volvic 0,5 litres wide mouth bottles (2×30g) 60g?

Pocket at shoulder strap:
Raincover of the rucksack

Main compartment:
German army folding mat, original, 400g
Sleeping bag Deuter Starlight brown, 870g

Dry-Bag Sea to Summit
70D black, 2 litres, 38g, is stuffsack for
Tomshoo titanium mug set Set 750ml with bail and butterfly handles+ 450ml with butterfly handles, with folding spork and 2 lids 240g

Handkerchief, cotton, as potholder 20g
2x120cm cotton laces and 1 open hook made of a coat hanger tip from a dry cleaner, to hang the pot under tripod and to make the tripod 10g

Solognac fleece jacket camouflage 300g
(240g/m2)

Ortlieb Dry-Bag PS 10, grey 1,5 Liter , 30g
3/4 roll of toilet paper 80g

BASE WEIGHT RUCKSACK: 3.875g
--------------------------------------------------------'--

Additional Autumn:
Solognac Zipp Pullover brown, 125g
(160g/m2, light fleece)

BASE WEIGHT IN TOTAL exactly 4 kg
====================================

(Additional fits into this rucksack a tarp
For example
DD Superlight 300cm x 290cm, 460g
or Snugpak Stasha 244cm x 166cm, 370g)

-----------------------------------------------------
On the dwarf:

Falke socks, Navyblue, 30g
Hiking boots that fit well.

Swimming breefs, 40g
Solognac trousers reinforced, olive, 315g
Austrian or US army trousers belt

Solognac T-Shirt, olive, 100g
Boy Scout shirt, classic, with two pockets and flaps 350g

We would seal the items mainly with Toppits 1 litre ziplock freezer bags, because they are very light.
Around the sleeping bag comes a grey garbage bag to seal it water proof.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Decathlon children's hunting clothing is meant as a worldwide available example of really good quality children's clothing, that is absolutely affordable. Other special outdoor clothing may serve well too of course.

The other equipment is well chosen equipment, that can NOT be replaced so easily without adding so much weight, that the child can't carry it in the end !!!

Reactions: TLM

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For the both older ones one could as well start immediately with a

Serious survival kit

Bottle carrier pouch
with large side pockets or similar shoulder bag.
Bottle, Nalgene stainless steel, cylindrical
Mug, Lixada 750 ml with bail and butterfly handles, stainless steel, nesting under the bottle.
Wire snare with additional open hook in the end to hang both over a fire
spoon
Cotton handkerchief
as water pre filter and pot holder cloth.
Micropour Forte water purification tabs
Painkiller tabs

Knife
, Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85 with plastic sheath and belt clip, seems to fit into the bottle. Blade rust protected by coconut oil film.
Ferrocerium rod, light my fire Army, orange
Lighter, Bic, orange,
Duct tape, orange, wrapped around it.
Toilet paper
Mini candle
as fire starter

Hiking map of the area in a zip lock freezer bag.
Compass Suunto Clipper
or Suunto M-9 wristband compass
Head lamp, Petzl e+lite
Spare batteries in small plastic bag
Whistle, Fox 40 Micro, orange
Cordage, Edelrid Multicord 2,5 mm, 3 m long, orange (to tension poncho as plow point shelter or make a tripod)
Basic fishing kit
Caperlan pouch
or zipp lock freezer bag to keep the small stuff together when the bottle gets in use.

Signal mirror
Poncho
, Defcon 5 (as bivvy bag or shelter too)
Bivvy bag, Snugpak Special Forces or red Alpkit Hunka
Folding bottle, Platypus 1 litre, for additional water carrying capacity.

Muesli and chocolate bars

I guess most of it will fit into the Nagelne stainless steel bottle, but I didn't try it out yet.
Poncho, bivvy bag and signal mirror should fit into the side pockets of the bottle carrier with shoulder strap.

One just needs to add a sleeping bag like the Snugpak Special Forces 1 and the multimat adventure 4 XL foldable sleeping mat to have a pretty comfortable and really compact 3 seasons hiking equipment, what I also would carry in a day pack with the kit above should I really expect to need it in a wilderness survival situation in colder conditions.

Isbjorn in Norway offers serious sleeping bags for children in the right sizes, standard or custom made.

Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE