Removing blood stains.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aneirin

Dec 6, 2021
Llanfair Caereinion
Hi all.

I've got a Fjallraven g-1000 jacket with protester lining. I was wearing it when I took a fall recently & it's got a fair few blood stains on it.

Unfortunately it spent 2 weeks in hospital with me & the blood is now well dried in.

Fjallraven have said to just get advice off the internet & suggested using salt.

I was wondering if anyone on here has direct experience with this or any other blood stain removing techniques?

I bought it for what it does rather than what it looks like so it's no big deal if I can't remove them completely , but it does look a bit gruesome at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You could try papain or bromelain and then just wash with soap. These are proteolytic enzymes that break the blood to smaller molecules that wash off easier. Used for tenderizing meat and at least here available at most stores. These enzymes should not affect ("protester" assumed to be :)) polyester or cotton in any way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best way to get blood stains out is firstly not to fix them, with either leaving them too long, or heating them or adding something like oxygen bleach.

Best way I know of to get them out is to soak the fabric in cool, not heated, water and leave it soaking for at least 24 hours, then try just using soap.

Salt water is fine for underwear, T shirts, etc., but jackets have metal fixings, and finishes that won't appreciate salt soaking.

If the stains don't come out with just soaking and soap, then you might try looking at Stain Devil's. They do a chemical stuff that does work to release the blood from the fabric. Not cheap, not guaranteed to work, but generally quietly (as in might remove most) effective.

If you're happy to do the salt, soak the jacket as I suggested, then shake the salt right over the stains and rub gently.

I hope it comes out easily, and that you are fully recovered.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could try papain or bromelain and then just wash with soap. These are proteolytic enzymes that break the blood to smaller molecules that wash off easier. Used for tenderizing meat and at least here available at most stores. These enzymes should not affect ("protester" assumed to be :)) polyester or cotton in any way.

I have never seen those here, truthfully I hadn't a clue that they were available at all.

Aneirin

Dec 6, 2021
Llanfair Caereinion
Protester love the sound but yes, polyester; after sorting the spell check thing out.

Aneirin

Dec 6, 2021
Llanfair Caereinion
Best way to get blood stains out is firstly not to fix them, with either leaving them too long, or heating them or adding something like oxygen bleach.

Best way I know of to get them out is to soak the fabric in cool, not heated, water and leave it soaking for at least 24 hours, then try just using soap.

Salt water is fine for underwear, T shirts, etc., but jackets have metal fixings, and finishes that won't appreciate salt soaking.

If the stains don't come out with just soaking and soap, then you might try looking at Stain Devil's. They do a chemical stuff that does work to release the blood from the fabric. Not cheap, not guaranteed to work, but generally quietly (as in might remove most) effective.

If you're happy to do the salt, soak the jacket as I suggested, then shake the salt right over the stains and rub gently.

I hope it comes out easily, and that you are fully recovered.
Fair play Toddy on the heads up 're the salt. I love the jacket & how it performs on snags etc., corroding the metal wouldn't be good. Tidy piece of kit it is. I would have soaked it straight away (As we do with cloth nappies) but it's been too long.

As for fully recovered, it'll take a while but the morphine makes me a bit over optimistic at times.

Fortunately I have Broch near me who talks some sense.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I have used hydrogen peroxide to remove blood stains.
Just soak the stain and wait for a while and then scrub with a stiff brush.
Jon

Reactions: Aneirin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE