Public perception

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I am a new sign up to the forum and wanted to get a feel for the reception people get when out and about taking part in any Bushcraft activity.

I am based in Aberdeen and recently went up Strathdon to an endurance riding event as a marshal. One of the riders came in at the end and reported a couple of young guys having a small camp fire next to the trail. She thought that this was not a good idea and I went up to have a look. They had gone by the time I got their and a small smoldering fire was left. They had not left any litter but had not put out their fire properly. I did not see a major problem with what they were doing although they obviously had no permission and leaving a smoldering fire is poor.

The general feeling I get is that people don't understand Bushcraft actvities and frown upon them in general.

What are other peoples experiences?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Generally pretty good - either people simply don't notice you (it's amazing what people don't notice unless it's right in front of them) or they are simply curious. It's a good chance to do some outreach - if people ask what you're up to, treat it as an opportunity to show and tell: "Well, I'm collecting this hoof fungus to make tinder from. See this layer in here, you dig that out, etc, etc..."

Mind you, I don't tend to light fires right next to paths or leave them smouldering afterwards...

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I am lucky i have promison to use some woods and most foke are relly cool aboat us doing bushcraft there we do more good than harm and rise a bit of money for chrity and tidy up the woodland and keep an eye on it

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Welcome!

I find that most things people have no interest in, or understanding of, tends to be looked upon as you describe. After 40 years of being subject to every imaginable crass comment about my passion for hunting (with a rifle) I guess I’m getting use to it though. Without wishing to appear too self-righteous I have found this makes me particularly more tolerant of most minority interests and even to the point of championing their passion though such does nothing for me.

If only a few more so-called football fans could bring themselves to accept that the jokes they make about “Train” and “Coach Spotters” are directed at individuals with NO LESS passion for their interest than we are told is found throughout the “beautiful game”, we might find things a little more ‘comfortable’.

Clearly leaving fires un-extinguished; gates open; wounded animals running free and rival fans bleeding on the terraces does little to create a positive appreciation of our varied ways of life.

Cheers

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Most people I meet are usually quite interested about the bushcraft, its my other interest that makes them think I'm weird / mad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE