Ground Coffee as Mosquito Repellent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of the people I follow on YT mentioned in his latest video about burning coffee grounds as a mosquito repellent.

You basically use a small amount in a container and make a smudge fire with it and I was just wondering if anyone had tried this method?

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy
One of the people I follow on YT mentioned in his latest video about burning coffee grounds as a mosquito repellent.

You basically use a small amount in a container and make a smudge fire with it and I was just wondering is anyone had tried this method?

I can try it with used coffee grounds Monday
Won't use fresh far too vital

Reactions: Van-Wild and Stew

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I can try it with used coffee grounds Monday
Won't use fresh far too vital
The guy in the video said he tried but didn't succeed keeping it burning possibly due to it not being 100% dry. Something to bear in mind if using used :dunno:

He went with the cheapest fresh store brand because he wasn't going to use his good stuff :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have one of the Italian steam boiler type coffee machines (hand me up from Son1, no way on this green Earth would I have paid that for a thing to make coffee! ) and the coffee at the end chaps out in a neat wee disc.
I reckon that if I saved and dried those out, we could use them like charcoal discs.

Got to be worth a shot :D

p.s. just rescued two discs, about 2" diameter by 1/2" thick, from the compost tin and they're now outside drying in the Sunshine :)

Reactions: Broch and Robbi

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The top of a UCO lantern is handy for this sort of thing. You can put the grounds in a spent tealight.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
I read that if Permetherin is not available, then spraying diesel on clothing keeps pretty much ALL bitey, crawly, stingy things away for a very good while.
Just don't go snuggling into a camp fire eh ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE