Psoriasis Treatments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My daughter suffers with psoriasis of the scalp, and has to treat regularly with Cocois ointment obtained on prescription from the Drs. Whilst I appreciate that I can't ask for advice on this forum, I'm wondering if anyone might have, or know anyone who has, suffered from this and can suggest any alternative remedies that might prove beneficial.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My Mum and two younger brothers suffer from it. I'm not sure what they use but my brothers get very flaky now and then! I knew a guy who had it and his was very severe with large build ups of dead skin that looked like scabs. In Iraq, he suffered continuously. Whatever you find, i hope it helps her condition.

Hi Geoff
My other half suffers with psoriasis and has tried most of the treatments out there, from ointments and tinctures to systemeic drugs, some things work for a while some things do'nt and some of the systemic side effects have a bigger impact that the symptoms they treat.

To make make matters worse not all treatments work for everyone, and in our experience GP's have differing opinions as to what should be used and what should'nt, add to that the fact consultants can be very set in their ways and the NHS like to exhaust all the cheaper options before looking at anything else and its all abit of a mine field really.

The best advice is to try and be as informed as possible as to causes, treatments and their side effects (long and short term), and then talk to your GP pre armed as it were.

These folk are better equipped to answer your question than me and there are many more sites with info out there. I have a book with some herbal remedies kicking about but am no qualified herbalist but will dig them out if you like?.

Hope this helps Tim

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i had a skin condition for about 6 months.but i also got very painfull hip joints too,which was related to the skin condition.the first time i went to the doctor he laughed and said how can skin be related to the dodgy hips.i told him i had researched on the old interweb but he didnt believe me gave me some cream and said come back next week.when i went back he appologised and said i was correct and the two conditions where linked but there is no cure and maybe diet had something to do with it.So i contiued suffering then one day on holiday me and my brother in law went to the sauna and stayed in for ages<it was first time id used 1>when we came out my red itchy rash had turned pink with in days it had gone completely the hips are ok now and so is the rash.im not saying it will work for your daughters condition but it is worth mentioning and trying.also take it easy with dairy products.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I too suffer from it, gets worse when i am depressed or stressed. I use Aveeno cream to relieve the worst of the itching and soreness. It contains colloidal oatmeal which is really good for this sort of thing i have discovered.

Y

Yellow Wood

Ti-tree oil shampoo works a treat, and it also works neat on athletes foot
reducing stress also has a remarkable positive effect

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Hi,

My wife works in the dermatology industry. GP's are notoriously difficult to consult for skin conditions as it isn't generally a focus of any medical degree. You can get some very good advice from the Psoriasis Association http://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/what-is.html.
As to the products - for scalp psoriasis many people find coal tar useful as it slows down the production of skin flakes (but it desn't suit everyone) - a product range called Exorex is worth a look as it is well formulated and smells less than some. From the GP the choice is between Dovonex scalp lotion ( a drug based on Vitamin D) or corticosteroids. Dovonex can be extremely effective for the scalp.
Unfortunately there are many quack remedies being sold for psoriasis and most of them don't work or can even make it worse. Be very careful before handing over lots of cash to a website promising relief. It's better to go into your GP with information and press them for help - and if you're turned back - change GPs.

Mike

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
My daughter suffers with psoriasis of the scalp, and has to treat regularly with Cocois ointment obtained on prescription from the Drs. Whilst I appreciate that I can't ask for advice on this forum, I'm wondering if anyone might have, or know anyone who has, suffered from this and can suggest any alternative remedies that might prove beneficial.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Hi mate,
I am sorry to hear about your daughters affliction! Let me share our story with you to inspire some hope.

My wife was badly hit by psoriasis all her childhood and early adulthood.
In the worst days, both arms, neck, face and eyes where hit.
She was scratching so badly in the night that the arms where covered in blood in the morings. She got cortisone all her life and sun treatment. The cortisone weakend the skin and took a hard toll on the fingernails, they are all buckled.

When I met her I wanted to help her and we went from doctor to doctor and they all said its genetic. After a couple of years trying different things I got a book in the hand how to treat Psoriasis in a natural way. I started to cook for her and today my wife is totally healed.
She only has to watch out not to have her hands too much in contact with water. Dishwashing with rubber gloves will give her a little attack on the hands but nothing to worry about.

Ok, when we started the rotation diet she was an young adult. So my advice here is based on our history. With a child I would talk to a diatist first and a doctor.

1. We noticed that her bad times and good times where hanging together with food.
Drinking some wine gave her an attack, or tomatos and a lot of other things.
2. We started with a one week fast where she was only drinking water and checked if the
skin turned better. We noticed that the bad skin was healing up and the itching disapeared. So we where sure to be on the right track. My wife already at that state felt better because we got to know through that test that we had a weapon in the hand against the illness.

3. Step. I was cooking boiled potatis for a week, she was only eating that, with little salt.
(her skin got better and better and her psyche as well. Now we got to know that
we really where onto something. Next step was that we got a little bit of olive oil int the food....then squash..... then cucumber etc etc. We started to bake bread from
strange unknown wheat types which where knew to her body.....it got better and better with her.

Sometimes we hit on something which made the itch and the bad skin coming back. Then we went one step back and where eating only what we know will work. This has been now 15 years and today she even can eat again all the stuff we avoided for years.

From my experience I can say that there is hope even if a doctor says there is no hope.

all the best to you and your family
Abbe

flaky

Nov 24, 2005
sussex
:) I have had psoriasis for over 25 years and I've tried various lotions, potions and even experimental medication, (from my doctor) unfortunantly these have not worked for me but do for many people.
I feel that the most important thing is to remain positive, also ensure that your daughter has a good heathly diet with as much organic food as possible and drink plenty of water. I find that keeping fit, avoiding tabbaco smoke and alchol are a must. I wouldn't advise using normal shampoo as these dry the scalp, try Tgel shampoo mixed with some Teatree oil and keep the skin moisturised. I'm going to try grandpas pine soap and shower gel, you can find them for sale on www.raymears.com/shop_cats.cfm?itemType=Skin&#37;20Care, I've found these to be the cheapest.

The problem with many of the prescribed creams is the smell, even aquas cream can make you smell 'stail', in order to overcome this add some aromatherapy oils.
I am sure that there is a solution for your daughter, but as I said earlier try to have a positive attitude and don't let it stop your daughter from doing the things she wants. I worked as an instructor for R. M / Woodlore for 5 years and I did, and still do, spend many months each year working and living outside whilst teaching bushcraft in Scotland and the arctic, and I have approx 90% body coverage.
Part of my outlook is to make myself as comfortable as possible, accept I have psoriasis (at the moment) and keep POSITIVE. :)
If you or your daughter would like to talk to me directly please pm me !
I hope this helps.

Try this book, Eat Right for your blood type, I've found it helpful.
Lawrence

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've had Psoriasis for 20 odd years, first induced by Metol in photographic developers I think.

I used to get on well with medicated shampoos like Vosene until they took the coal tar out and replaced it with perfume, go figure.

Recently it has improved massively since I started using Pine Tar soap and tea tree shampoo.

( BTW it's good to see you back Abbe, I thought we'd lost you for a while...)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Many thanks to all the folk who have replied either openly on the forum, or by PM. It is comforting to know that there are others who suffer and are willing to share their experiences, successes and failures. I'll pass the replies on to my daughter, who I am sure will be encouraged by what all you good people have said.

Geoff

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had Psoriasis for 20 odd years, first induced by Metol in photographic developers I think.

I used to get on well with medicated shampoos like Vosene until they took the coal tar out and replaced it with perfume, go figure.

Recently it has improved massively since I started using Pine Tar soap and tea tree shampoo.

( BTW it's good to see you back Abbe, I thought we'd lost you for a while...)

Agree with everything here and the bit about Abbe too.

My psoriasis (scalp only )eventually dissappeared completely when I shaved off all my hair and has not returned this century. I realise this is probably not an option for your daughter but you never know. My son shaved his hair and it dissappeared for a year even though the hair grew back

The sun always helped too

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
Psoriasis is one of the things I don't think people should self medicate with alternative therapies, its such a difficult thing to cure and if people don't succeed by themselves they assume it cant be cured at all and give up which can be devastating. It can be improved and I have seen it completely go away many many times. The treatment often involves a restriction on foods like dairy, wheat, alcohol, chocolate etc. Strong sunlight can be a great help and although I don't suggest the use of sunbeds my friend feels the benefits out weigh the risks for him.

I'm torn between homoeopathy and herbal medicine for this, although I did Herbal Medicine at uni I think maybe homoeopathy is more suited as the cause of psoriasis is often so deeply rooted. Maybe try one and then the other and if that doesnt work let me know as there are other options. Also consider some form of talking therapy and I'm sure that suggestion will shock the sufferer which is the main reason they should consider it. In my teaching I learned that psoriasis can be caused by anger being suppressed. Often sufferers are of the most mild mannered people you know which is exactly their problem. We are conditioned in society to believe that extreme emotions are bad and should be hidden, but the emotions remain, they're just buried deep where they silently fester and can cause serious problems.

Also another reason I would avoid self medication is that theres so many products on the market which claim to be alternative but they have dreadful chemicals in them which can make the condition even worse.

If you would like me to find an alternative therapist in a certain area let me know.

Charlotte

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE