Pruning saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 29, 2009
IRELAND
Has anyone got any advice as to the best purchase regarding these?

I used to use Silky Saws and they were fantastic but they were so brittle that they would snap very easily if you tried to use any sawing action (it was all pull and no push).

That was over 10 years ago . Have things changed since?

I am talking about the small hand held pruners with a blade around 6 inches long perhaps.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Silky are still the best - just use on the pull as you know. The "Pocket Boy" meets your size requirement. Bahco Laplanders are a good economy choice.

Dec 29, 2009
IRELAND
Thanks.Yes they were unbelievably good. Are they still as easy to snap if you are clumsy and are tempted to "push" the odd occasion?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep, silky is best but delicate compared to a nigh indestructible bahco or felco. My felco is better than a laplander but I'm not sure if you still get them

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Seems to be a trade-off. Silky is the best cutter, but Bahco Laplander will take more abuse. I suppose iot depends on how you treat your tools.

I'm a Laplander man :rolleyes:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I bought a cheap pruning saw from Asda's garden section for 4 quid 8 years ago. It's a brilliant little saw and still going strong.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Just found a review vid of pruning saws and the guy is using the exact same Asda one as mine. It's the first saw in the vid.

[video=youtube;EWCjecdnPYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWCjecdnPYI[/video]

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
to my mind its either silky or anything else. I use silky's all of the time (have done for 6+ years) and have never snapped one! I guess I remember which way to move them :p

If you don't want to use the industry standard (and by industry I mean arborculture and forestry, not playing in the woods!) Silky saw, then the bacho or any no-name bargain basement saw. i've used the bachos, opinel saw, Felco saw, Wilkinson sword and the florabest from Lidles (I keep them on hand to lend out). I can't say I've noticed much difference between them to be honest. The more expensive ones tend to be a bit more solid in the handle construction and if the blades are chromed then it stays on rather than peeling off.

leon-1

I have used a few saws over the last few years. I normally carry an Opinel either the No'12 or the No'18, which I prefer over my Bacho laplander. If I want something a little larger that students can use, I use a cheapy from ebay like one of these, which is actually surprisingly good. The only other saws that I use that fold with students are Silky F180, which are a cheaper model, but they still do the job well enough. The cheap ones leave a rough cut like the Laplander, the silky and the opinels both cut nice and cleanly.

Pockets

Jun 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Been using a Friskars SW73 for a while now and had no issues with it. Mate has a Bacho Laplander and he has beat the hell out of it over the years, tough saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE