Pruning saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You all can come over to my house and test every saw you have.
We got a dump of 44" in 36hrs (neighbor measured), then -30C/-20F
with 5 power failures of 1-4 hrs each in the village (44-72 hrs in the district.)

I have 3 x 50' spruce in my front yard and would enjoy a path to the street.
The lower branches are all on the ground with the snow load.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
No snow for us well me anyway yet Robson, sounds like you need a member with a snow plough or blower never mind a saw. Hope you your family & friends are ok with the bad weather.

Rob

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm fine. Just annoyed. Hope to dig as far as the garden shed and find my pole pruner & saw blade.
The key to a pruning saw for me is the curve of the blade. I can reach up 8' with the blade and
just pull for a good cut. The weight of the fiberglass pole and pruning cutter head means that
I don't have to try to bear down on it at all.

I heat with a Harmann PP38+ compressed wood pellet stove, about 4-5 tons per winter.
The stove has 3 electric motors in it.
I have a 1.2kW AC inverter on a stack of batteries, solar panel charging.
I can power the stove, even low consumption LED lights in my kitchen.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I use both, if I'm up a tree (don't do much tree work, just the odd "easier" stuff") then I'll use a silky as it cuts so much quicker and uses less energy, so you could argue it's a safety feature. If I'm just pottering about I'll use a Laplander (we have loads of the things dotted around the place, every out building seems to have acquired one for some reason).

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I got one from Wilko's here in Scotland..Carbon Steel blade..£4. Bent the saw a couple of times, straightened out just fine. i'll be buying another for a fall back saw.

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
In my opinion the Laplander is pretty hard to beat. Good price, good blade, good reliability, good grip. It saw well too.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I got one from Wilko's here in Scotland..Carbon Steel blade..£4. Bent the saw a couple of times, straightened out just fine. i'll be buying another for a fall back saw.

I bought one of those the other day to replace my fiskars saw that was stolen. I have yet to use it, and it is a bit stiff unfolding, but for the price I expect it will do.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm fine. Just annoyed. Hope to dig as far as the garden shed and find my pole pruner & saw blade.
The key to a pruning saw for me is the curve of the blade. I can reach up 8' with the blade and
just pull for a good cut. The weight of the fiberglass pole and pruning cutter head means that
I don't have to try to bear down on it at all.

I heat with a Harmann PP38+ compressed wood pellet stove, about 4-5 tons per winter.
The stove has 3 electric motors in it.
I have a 1.2kW AC inverter on a stack of batteries, solar panel charging.
I can power the stove, even low consumption LED lights in my kitchen.

Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like you have a good set up there, but I suppose if bad weather is a regular thing then its a must. I use a pole saw on a regular basis, in my work as a gardener/tree pruner etc... I have a silky zubat on the belt & I'm currently using the wolfe garten pole system for pruning. Also have the stihl combi system with chainsaw attatchment.

Rob

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I bought one of those the other day to replace my fiskars saw that was stolen. I have yet to use it, and it is a bit stiff unfolding, but for the price I expect it will do.
Are you pressing the button to open it?...I'm guessing if you back the bolt off a little she will open just fine. maybe you're just used to the way the fiskars opened though. great wee high carbon saw for £4. Once you get a chance to use it let me know what you think compared to Fiskars and other folding saws you have used.

You have given me something to do today...Buy Saw. :lol:

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I wanted one of them. Decided to buy a house instead ;)

Lol, I know what you mean Hugh, had mine 10yrs now, & has paid for itself a number of times & only had one problem, that was earlier this year, cracking piece of kit, also have the hedgecutter attachment which see's the most use.
When I had the ignition problem, I decided to by another power unit & to keep the older one(when repaired)as a back up, then found they had changed from 2 stroke to this strange 4 stroke system, so decided to run the 2 stroke a bit longer. I heard via arbtalk that they intend to re-introduce the 2 stroke ones when they've sold all the 4 strokes.

Rob

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I decided to by another power unit & to keep the older one(when repaired)as a back up, then found they had changed from 2 stroke to this strange 4 stroke system, so decided to run the 2 stroke a bit longer. I heard via arbtalk that they intend to re-introduce the 2 stroke ones when they've sold all the 4 strokes.

Rob

Rob

its actually 4-mix as it runs like a four cycle engine but uses 2-stroke mixed fuel (I hope you already know that bit? lol). They have been running the 4-mix engines for years in various models through their range and are still manufacturing them so I doubt they will change them back. It is also to do with reducing their carbon footprint. Even some of the chainsaws have now changed from 2-stroke to a new 2-mix engine as its a more efficient engine and M-tronic electronic engine management. They are now introducing fuel injected machines which started with the cut-off saws, plus cordless lithium ion technology is improving every year.

That all said, I think there is a very slim chance of them reverting back to 2-strokes lol

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Even some of the chainsaws have now changed from 2-stroke to a new 2-mix engine as its a more efficient engine and M-tronic electronic engine management. They are now introducing fuel injected machines which started with the cut-off saws, plus cordless lithium ion technology is improving every year.

I have to say I detest the fact that many STihl and Husqvarna petrol tools are becoming "non user serviceable". I may have to stock up on a couple decent engined models which do NOT have thousands of gizmos and "M-tronic elctronic engine management" so that I don't have to pay someone to service my saw!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have to say I detest the fact that many STihl and Husqvarna petrol tools are becoming "non user serviceable". I may have to stock up on a couple decent engined models which do NOT have thousands of gizmos and "M-tronic elctronic engine management" so that I don't have to pay someone to service my saw!

saying that when they superseded the MS200T with the MS201T, there was a new MS200T go for 3 times the retail price on Evil Bay and then when they superseded the MS660 this year you couldn't get hold of one for love nor money!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can believe it - newer does not equal better. I have only recently switched to Stihl since Husqy started using those damnable "non user maintainable" carb adjustment fittings. Might be time when I get the next drop of liquidity to stockup methinks.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Been thinking the same as Hugh, none user friendly servicing puts me off, though I have 2 chainsaws that have a few years in them yet. Thanks for the information H/H, I suspected that. I would look toward another make, but as I already have the attachments for the Stihl system, it would be an expensive move. I did get a stihl strimmer in the 2 stroke earlier this year.

Hundrum Hostage, is it correct that I can use the stihl 4 stroke mix instead of stihl 2 stroke ?

Rob

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Hundrum Hostage, is it correct that I can use the stihl 4 stroke mix instead of stihl 2 stroke ?

Rob

sorry Rob, I didn't know you had replied.

I'm not sure what you Mean? Stihl have three different 2-stroke oils and the "super" 2-stroke is the better one to use for your kombi engine as it isn't as dirty when is burns as the HP red oil (ignore the "ultra" unless you have money to burn). As your engine is valved the soot will build up on the valves and they will need adjusting/cleaning and now stihl use teeny weeny spark plugs they soot up quite quickly too.
They also sell "motomix" which is their version of pre mixed petrol which saves the hassle of buying and mixing 2-stroke and petrol. With out going into massive details about the pros and cons, the biggest effect will be on your Wallet!

hope this answers your Question?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE