Prossibly a silly question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
A friend of mine is keen to have a go at building a survival shelter out of natures materials, rather than what most bushcrafters or wild campers seem to use (Tents or Ponshos).
Before we start getting replys reminding us of the weather and the dangers involved in this sort of thing (of course, you'd be correct in doing so), please be aware, we're both soldiers, and have a good knowledge of map reading, good levels of fitness, good and experience in the outdoors etc. (Although, I do understand that to be overconfident, and to underestimate the 'what could go wrong's', would be a big mistake).

My question is what are the laws in firelighting and cutting wood from forestry blocks in places like Brecon Beacons national park (We've been here a number of times and slept in the forests before, and I seem to remember them being protected from allsorts, including digging). My friend suggested the Forst of dean, although I assume this would be protected and I couldn't go lighting a fire here or cutting down woodland.

So where is this (Using natural materials, and making fire) legally allowed in the UK? Ideally in West Mids/ Wales area?

If not legally allowed, where would it be accepted? (I'm not out to anoy any farmers or break the law or country code but if I can do it safely and without upsetting anybody or the land then I'd like to do it).

Many Thanks

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If not legally allowed, where would it be accepted? (I'm not out to anoy any farmers or break the law or country code but if I can do it safely and without upsetting anybody or the land then I'd like to do it).

Many Thanks

Basically what you're looking for is wild camping legally which places you square in Scotland which has much more relaxed rules regarding this sort of thing.

Anywhere else in England it's illegal just about everywhere without the landowners permission.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
...or just do it extremely quietly!:27:

yup, the only way is to get land owners permission which is getting harder by the week.:deal:

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
I'm very tempted to do it quietly, and I've got my old man's maps out tonight to look for places to leave the car, and close places to set up a fire and a shelter. (If the whole thing goes tits up, we're not going to fancy a long tab back to the car in the middle of a december night).
I'll go through the plan with somebody before I go, and leave a route card for my Dad incase I never return. lol

Anyways, I'm not sure what the sites policy on giving out grid refs on the net, and having just read 'that guys' (please excuse my ignorance) thread about looking after yourself in the bush, I'm not sure I want to be telling people where I'm going to be setting fires.

Thanks for the replies so far.

PS. Since this looks like this has turned into more of an "I'm going to do this" sort of a thread, it may be better suited to the expeditions area of the site, but I'll let you moddy people take care of all that. :)

UncleGoo

Jun 11, 2009
Connecticut
I don't know about Hereford, but where I am, if you were to approach a ranger, explain what you want to do, and ask how to do it legally, you'd get pointed in the right direction--even if only to find that the only way to do it legally, is as a student in a wilderness survival class. Good luck!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm very tempted to do it quietly, and I've got my old man's maps out tonight to look for places to leave the car, and close places to set up a fire and a shelter. (If the whole thing goes tits up, we're not going to fancy a long tab back to the car in the middle of a december night).
I'll go through the plan with somebody before I go, and leave a route card for my Dad incase I never return. lol

Anyways, I'm not sure what the sites policy on giving out grid refs on the net, and having just read 'that guys' (please excuse my ignorance) thread about looking after yourself in the bush, I'm not sure I want to be telling people where I'm going to be setting fires.

Thanks for the replies so far.

PS. Since this looks like this has turned into more of an "I'm going to do this" sort of a thread, it may be better suited to the expeditions area of the site, but I'll let you moddy people take care of all that. :)

As pointed out earlier: wildcamping is not allowed in England. If you want to camp wild, go to Scotland or ask permission.
I read in your post you're tempted do it quietly (without permission). Since wildcamping without permission is forbidden, you'll be performing an illegal activity (...). BCUK does not condone such actions as you can read in the rules and regs, which you agreed to when you signed up.

Sorry for being a pain, but the Boss had enough letters from sollicitors.

Thank you for your understanding.

Never have so many been subjucated by so few...

Until my dying day I will never understand why you allow your own enslavement. To walk on your own land js an offence without permission....hhhmmmm let me see-is it not about time folk got their act together down there below the border?

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Legalities aside, I would like to remind folk of the amount of energy and time involved in making a good debris shelter.
On a well known course (and hence under instruction) it took 8 people, more than two hours (sixteen manhours) to build a two person shelter from previously used materials, effctively a scattered kit shelter. To build a decent one takes lots of time and great deal of energy and dedication.

Good luck to you Spunyarn.

Ogri the trog

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire

I live in the Forest of Dean, and walk the forest almost every day.

Leaving a car anywhere in the Forest of Dean, even off road, would arouse the suspicions of the forest wardens (and probably the police too). The wardens do patrol the place. They are mainly on the lookout for deer poachers. Being found in posession of an axe, machete, saw or illegal knife would be a problem.

Building a fire, cutting wood, or staying overnight in the forest is not allowed. One can understand the reasons for that ruling. There are some privately owned camp sites here, but none allow open fires.

Now..... this is a recreational area, and one can roam anywhere. But not to put the complete negative damper on things there would be no real problem in practicing building a shelter of natural materials, as long as you don't cut standing wood, or build a fire, or stay overnight. There are plenty of places where there is fallen wood in the areas where there are deciduous trees. Its everywhere! Covering the shelter with dead leaves etc. would be OK, just don't cut pine branches.

In fact, one of the best places to engage in such an activity would be right beside one of the many recreational car parks in the forest. In other words, don't hide! Make it obvious that you are not going to stay overnight. There are many places in the woods that have permanent barbeque hearths, so if you want to cook on a fire legally, then you can use those. Wenchford (654080) is a great example. The entrance is about 200 yards south of that grid ref. and you can drive your car right in. You have forest, a stream and hearths. At this time of year there would be no-one else there.

Now, there are also some woodland places within or on the edge of the forestry boundary that are privately owned. On the OS explorer map look for little "islands" bounded by the orange border line. There are a lot of them! Go find who owns them and ask permission. Usually there is a house nearby.

Rod

JDCP

Nov 2, 2005
South Staffordshire
Have you thought about Yellow wood ? You might be able to use that site. Paul, the chap who runs it is a good bloke and may allow building of debris shelters...but you'd have to check obviously.

Just a thought.

Regards. JDCP

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
On some land there's no open flame restrictions or raised fire restriction but there is open fire restrictions so a hobo stove might be worth looking into!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Shame you are not closer. I would be happy to oblige!

Thames Valley Police have finally admitted recently, that rural crime is highest in their areas, including Oxford, in the whole UK. No wonder the wardens are checking out cars.

If you would like to come to visit in Feb PM me and we could do a group one? I have an area checked out for this type of thing....

Cheers,

Swyn.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Thanks for all your input guys.

Because of it's convienience, I'm opting for the brecons, and assuming there's no snow and the weather isn't particularly chilly, I'll be going on Weds.

I'm not into breaking the rules, as I suppose they're in place for the greater good. I can certainly see the sense in not hacking down trees or branches to sleep out for one night. So I'll be using anything that I find on the ground. (In the event that there's nothing suitable, I'll have a basha sheet with me too). I've also decided that I'll use an army issue Hexi cooker. I've a couple of them lying around so I may aswel put them to use, and save myself getting in trouble.

If it goes ahead, then I'll try and post some pics or something. Cheers guys :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just go and do it ask nothing say nothing,keep your head down ,dont make a mess and you will be alright.

it's how it's been done for many century's;) keep it simple, and scarper before anyone notices. done it loads of times but we didn't tell you!:27:

:You_Rock_keep it alive mate!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i like the pub idea, dispite the general view that farmers are all miserable chaps in tatty jumpers and wellies i've found most to be thoughtfull types and quite open to dialog about how their land can be used in different ways, and generally won't mind the odd nut wandering around their woods as long as your respectfull.

must say tho the tatty jumpers and wellies bit is entirely true, but then its like a badge of honour i reckon ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE