Prepping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
If I was in your situation, I thinking "prepping" would seriously have to involve moving state. Easier said than done though if you have work/family ties. We're lucky in the UK that we don't really have weather extremes, generally just rain and cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Tough to understand what point your trying to put across, are you saying it's better long term to live hand to mouth?

The biggest risk currently is to our health.
Regular exercise, living and eating healthy go a long way to help keep our health, plus if we do get ill it up's our chances of surviving and a quicker recovery.

Second biggest concern is money.
Not being able to provide for our families and pay the bills.

If you doubt that take a look at the various countries around Europe that are struggling, the suicide rates have shot up.

Live a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, live within your means and have a plan that will afford you some financial security and you've made massive steps towards providing security for you and your family.

So you cannot afford to work then :lmao:

If your working for naff all then it might be prudent to get a better job ;)

You specifically mentioned the collapse of society, do you honestly think buses will be running then :lmao:

This is as far as I read your post bud. You clearly didn't read mine if that's what you came up with, so I shan't bother reading anymore of your posts. You are clearly just trolling and you shall get no more comments from me. Take care and have a nice life.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Extremely short sighted and arrogant view.
Far better to save some money, and have enough money to get you through tough economical times.

If you can reconcile those I'll be impressed.

Tough to understand what point your trying to put across, are you saying it's better long term to live hand to mouth?

No, I referring to slating a point of view for being arrogant and short sighted and then attacking with another point of view that was arrogant and short sighted.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If I was in your situation, I thinking "prepping" would seriously have to involve moving state. Easier said than done though if you have work/family ties. We're lucky in the UK that we don't really have weather extremes, generally just rain and cold!

There you have it. Generally there aren't a lot of natural disasters in the UK so it's hard for most residents to take it seriously.

That said you have recently had floods (though I gather the disruptions were short) and occasional cold snaps that disrupt supplies. Perhaps that should be the main focus?

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
There you have it. Generally there aren't a lot of natural disasters in the UK so it's hard for most residents to take it seriously.

That said you have recently had floods (though I gather the disruptions were short) and occasional cold snaps that disrupt supplies. Perhaps that should be the main focus?

Yup, it is for me. My main concern is, I don't want to be one of those people relying on the government/authorities for help should disaster strike...in whatever form that comes. Just look at what happened in your country when Katrina hit, people were waiting for help that didn't come.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Yup, it is for me. My main concern is, I don't want to be one of those people relying on the government/authorities for help should disaster strike...in whatever form that comes. Just look at what happened in your country when Katrina hit, people were waiting for help that didn't come.

That's why I like the term self reliance more than most others. It hasn't acquired any baggage (that I know of) yet.
Of course the term self reliance can open up a whole can of worms as well because you are reliant on the entire solar system (proabably universe actually but I don't want to get too hippy) and all it's inhabitants(1), but nobody really likes someone who is dependent(2) who you have to give to and doesn't give back.

So to me self reliance means the ability to create and acquire and the ability to trade what you have created and acquired with the universe.

(1) Rik I can turn that into a prepping for Alien invasion scenario if the telly is really boring.
(2) that doesn't mean kids or the elderly who either will "put in their time" or have already done so.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I like the idea that I can go into the woods and have a fair chance of surviving, I like to think of myself as being like the guy in the Great Escape who quietly slips away, keeps a very low profile and eventually rows out to sea

Super point, in any disaster there are some who just slip away from it. I liked the escape by rowing boat, reminiscent of Hornblower in the "Happy Return".

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I prefer the idea of escaping to Gran Canaria for a month with the wife which is exactly what we'll be doing in January :) Sod the doom and gloom, bring on the sunshine :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
James Coburn played an Aussie but the real person behind his character was Bram van der Stok who was in reality Dutch.

I had the good fortune to meet Bertram A James a while back, he made 13 efforts to escape from various prisons and camps during his five years as a PoW.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jan/22/military.secondworldwar

A real character, My other half was at his funeral

6rt56t.jpg

Third row back fourth in with her hat on...

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
This is as far as I read your post bud. You clearly didn't read mine if that's what you came up with, so I shan't bother reading anymore of your posts. You are clearly just trolling and you shall get no more comments from me. Take care and have a nice life.

Fair enough.

The point i was trying to make was, because you've put more effort into potatoes and your wind turbine that you have in earning and saving money IF your wife losses her job you are going to struggle to get the bills paid straight after her last check has been cashed.

This is what astounds me by many preppers.
They put time and effort into prepping what they enjoy and bugger the consequences of everything else.

Total economic breakdown, nuclear war, invasion, super virus etc etc etc are all very very small risks.
Job loss, running out of money and our health is something that plagues modern society.

Save up some money, buy a house, don't have anything on finance, don't use your credit cards unless you pay them off each month.
These are all real preps you can do to prepare for real things that have an extremely high chance of occurring.

They're not glamorous or exciting but they will put your family in a more secure position than buying 6 tons of MRE, 200 shotguns or growing 2 tons of potatoes.

No, I referring to slating a point of view for being arrogant and short sighted and then attacking with another point of view that was arrogant and short sighted.

Might be better to try and string together a few more words in your answers, as currently your responses make absolutely no sense.

How on earth can saving some money and having it there just in case be either arrogant or short sighted? :confused:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup, it is for me. My main concern is, I don't want to be one of those people relying on the government/authorities for help should disaster strike...in whatever form that comes. Just look at what happened in your country when Katrina hit, people were waiting for help that didn't come......

Oh it came, but not as fast as they expected in New Orleans (never mind that the more severe damage was in Mississippi and Alabama) And never mind that the local and state governments had absolutely no plan at the time. And they expected the federal government to actually rebuild their lives for them rather than just restore public services and provide temporary shelter until they could rebuild themselves the way the rest of us have done after every previous hurricane elsewhere (I was in Mississippi when Camille hit)

But you're absolutely right; even now the government agencies themselves strongly advise everyone to be self reliant for at least three days (two weeks is preferred) as it may take awhile to get to everyone. First priorities (in restoring services) goes to the emergency and medical facilities and next to the major population centers. Rural areas can take weeks before power, water, and sewer are restored.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
How on earth can saving some money and having it there just in case be either arrogant or short sighted? :confused:

It isn't. I thought your first post was genius because it goes right back to the core of risks and therefore puts the risk in a more realistic priority.

But subsequently you say

Your away from vast population centres which has both good and bad aspects, good that it's not overly populated where you are, bad in that your extremely isolated for medical emergencies and getting equipment, spares etc out to you.

The fact is right now there is not a total collapse in our society and there is no sign of it occurring in the foreseeable future.
Relying totally on self planted food is extremely risky as areas do fall foul of bad weather, disease and crop do fail.

Far better to save some money, and have enough money to get you through tough economical times.

That's very short sighted because a quick look at the word hyperinflation in Wikipedia shows that it occurs with alarming regularity and can wipe out savings in a heartbeat, that combined with the balance sheets of most countries make the statement

The fact is right now there is not a total collapse in our society and there is no sign of it occurring in the foreseeable future.

look like blind faith that it will all work out. So the following sentence

Looks arrogant because it makes it sound like you know much better.

Following posts keep hammering away on the money angle so it looks like you are betting on money and money always working out. History does not show that happening. All "civilised" societies (as far as I can tell) have had massive ups.....and downs

And the ones that assumed it would just go up and up were not conscious of the down part of the cycle coming.... fell.

So the bet you are taking is not that much different a bet than the one you think Marco 1981 is taking. It's just on a different thing.

Bottom line is that we all place our bets, as you keep alluding to, and our only Self Reliance is making our own decision about what to put our resources and efforts into. That must be a personal decision otherwise we have given up altogether.

So while it is cool to turn to someone and say "look mate I think you're bet is dodgy because of x, y and z" it's not really on to say "you shouldn't be making that bet, you should be making the same bet as me".

If they fall for that then you have stripped them of their ability to look after, or learn to look after, themselves. A society that is full of people who can consciously make their own decisions is far more resilient that one where they cannot.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Gixer,
You have done nothing but jump on me since I first posted n this thread. You clearly haven't read my posts properly and are just making out that I am some lazy fanatic who hasn't got a clue wanting a free ride, who relies solely on my wife, a wind turbine and spuds. You are absolutely wrong, everything I have done has been done with sincere support from my wife, and we do have a safety net. You would know this if you had given me the courtesy of at least reading my posts properly before jumping down my neck.

Firstly, I did not say that I would use public transport and the NHS in the even of complete collapse. I said that in the event of a complete collapse, I would go and see my doctor - neighbour. But while nothing has happened yet, I would continue to use these if needed. Maybe you should actually read posts before you decide to tare things apart - especially as you even quoted them!

Secondly, we own our house outright, which I am certain I have already stated. So in the event that my wife loses her job, all that would happen is that we wouldn't be able to pay bills. We have no secured loans. We now own two cars, one of value at about £500 and another at about £2500 with no finance on them. These can be sold quite easily should we fall on hard times as we both have push bikes and are perfectly capable of riding them. I also have a quad bike which is currently for sale as it has not been used for the best part of 18 months, for £2500. This sale is only so as I can buy a new, bigger polytunnel so that I can extend my growing season into the winter by heating it as well. For winter food, some crops can be left out all winter and harvested when needed. It isn't like everything has to be harvested by the end of August, or you lose the lot. And as for damage, just grow more than you need. As for thefts, be generous with what you grow and people are much less likely to swipe. I am also equipped in a way that thieves will be easily deterred or caught anyway.
Even without an income, we still have food as I grow that, heat and hot water. We can live quite happily without electric while I get the turbine sorted so yes, they can turn our electric off. If we run out of heating oil, no hardship anymore as I have alternative means now. We have no gas bills to worry about. We have no TV, therefore no TV license to pay for. Water rates are compulsory currently, as is council tax. But in the event that we have no income, as I am not on benefits currently, I can make things to sell and put them on ebay to help to make ends meet without risking breaking any laws. All I have to do is declare any money I make, and as I will be well under the tax limit, I shall face no fines or taxes. I can make sheepskin rugs quite well, and already have around 40 salted skins in the shed, and everything I need to complete them. This is one of those not very common skill set's that I have which I know I can rely on. AT the moment, I don't have the time, you know - with sitting on my backside all day watching potatoes grow. Again, that was a very rude thing to say and you obviously have no idea of the effort and time involved in growing your own and trying to become self sufficient!
Aside from everything I do relating to self sufficiency, I also manage a holiday cottage on behalf of my wife. And I take care of my son and the house. My wife only works part time, and her income isn't all that great anyway. I work longer hours than she does and we benefit more from my work in the garden than we do from her pay packet.

You seem to think that money is the answer to everything. Well, I worked hard, saved hard and still had naff all to show for it. Yes, it cost me more to work than I was making. I have done all sorts of jobs while self employed, even emptying septic tanks with nothing more than my wellies and a bucket on a rope. I have worked in a few different areas while working for other people and companies. Yet for the first time, I am actually seeing some benefit for my efforts and you say I should go back? Not on your life bud!

Apart from everything else, my lifestyle is none of your business. I only commented on a relevant thread, offering my opinion, but you made it so much more. How dare you judge me when you haven't even given me the time to read my posts properly. You say that I am arrogant and immature? Have you read your posts bud? I don't normally do this sort of thing, especially on the public forum, but I will happily accept the ban if the mods think it is warranted;

You are an obnoxious, highly opinionated, self righteous, ignorant ar$e of a man who just trolls for the sake of getting somebody's back up. Well, you succeeded. I hope it made you very happy. Now consider yourself added to my blocked list. I don't want an apology. I don't want another debate. I just want to pretend that I have never tried to have a civil conversation with you because quite clearly, that isn't possible.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Actually I meant the destination you have reached and how you got there, not some of the less picturesque stops along the way.

Last edited:

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Actually I meant the destination you have reached and how you got there, not some the less picturesque stops along the way.

Thank you. I will say though, it took somebody's death for all of this to happen. Without his life insurance, we wouldn't be anywhere near able to live the life we now live. So I shall concede that life insurance does have some benefits, like paying off a mortgage.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
James Coburn played an Aussie but the real person behind his character was Bram van der Stok who was in reality Dutch.

I had the good fortune to meet Bertram A James a while back, he made 13 efforts to escape from various prisons and camps during his five years as a PoW.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jan/22/military.secondworldwar

A real character, My other half was at his funeral

6rt56t.jpg

Third row back fourth in with her hat on...

Thanks for the link, that is so interesting, James Coburn played a composite of a few real people then it seems.

I just read about James' and Van der Stok's lives. My God, these men! What they did, what they went through to *escape* and survive, it brings tears to my eyes and here we are sitting at our computers in our cozy homes in a Europe which has never been so stable, discussing prepping and self reliance and whether potatoes have seeds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE