Prepping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Anyone actually tried to join the Ludlow survivors forum lately, I have tried a couple of times over the last few months but never get the conformation email that will authorise my membership.

There are plenty around gixer (and its not for me to promote a particular one - different fora suit different approaches)

Here are a few

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/

http://forum.survivaluk.net/index.php

http://www.ludlowsurvivors.org.uk/

http://www.p2s-prepared2survive.co.uk/

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anyone actually tried to join the Ludlow survivors forum lately, I have tried a couple of times over the last few months but never get the conformation email that will authorise my membership.

That's because they've become wary of Interpol's conspiracy to infiltrate them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ludlow survivors is one of the better forums, contact them again unless of course they have 'closed the books' on new members.

Jun 20, 2011
Swansea
Hi folks, I've been a long time lurker around here, love reading all the tips around bushcraft, getting confirmation of what I've been taught and what I've taught to my family, its really useful and interesting to me. I must say I don't regard myself in any way a prepper, what I do I do because I enjoy it, brought up huntin shootin fishing, gathering. My grandfather could catch anything, and new his stuff when it came to plants. He always reconciled his poaching' saying how can anyone own what swims in the rivers or flies in the sky. He largely fed a family of 7 from his allotment. Thank goodness things have got easier over the years coz he was brought up in a time where there was no health service. He past his knowledge to my father, then it came to me and then to my sons. I cannot believe the mentality of marco1981, who wants to see a massive collapse and a 'cull' of people. My ancestors were survivors who got us to here and now. Presumably me and my family are included in this cull. Well just let me say Marco, that we have been involved as a family in every major conflict since 1914, to the present in Afghanistan, we all survived. You would not want to be before us in a survival situation. Be careful what you wish for.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
Prepping is a complete waste of time and energy.........Someone bigger and stronger, will always come and take what you have collected/saved away from you.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Prepping is a complete waste of time and energy.........Someone bigger and stronger, will always come and take what you have collected/saved away from you.
I have no interest in sowing machines. When I see a thread on them, I simply scroll past it.
Clicking on a thread that you have no interest in and then offering up some vague useless advice is the real waste of time and energy.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
And they expected the federal government to actually rebuild their lives for them rather than just restore public services and provide temporary shelter until they could rebuild themselves the way the rest of us have done after every previous hurricane elsewhere (I was in Mississippi when Camille hit)

Rebuilding with no assets is more difficult than if you have some. A house destroyed by hurricane or tornado can be rebuilt because the land is there, if the land is there and is owned by the would-be rebuilder. Trailer destroyed and all is destroyed, what foundation for rebuilding is there and the same goes for rented property? Also am I not right in thinking that areas of New Orleans have been sequestrated so cannot be rebuilt on and isn't there controversy over compensation?

It is not unreasonable to expect help from the Government when disaster strikes, after all the Government claims ultimate control up to and including conscription over the people so there is a quid pro quo of expectation in extremis.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rebuilding with no assets is more difficult than if you have some. A house destroyed by hurricane or tornado can be rebuilt because the land is there, if the land is there and is owned by the would-be rebuilder. Trailer destroyed and all is destroyed, what foundation for rebuilding is there and the same goes for rented property? Also am I not right in thinking that areas of New Orleans have been sequestrated so cannot be rebuilt on and isn't there controversy over compensation?

It is not unreasonable to expect help from the Government when disaster strikes, after all the Government claims ultimate control up to and including conscription over the people so there is a quid pro quo of expectation in extremis.

There's always controversy over compensation after a hurricane (I'm presuming you mean from the insurance companies) And yes, even trailers are usually insured. The controversy arises from whether the damage was caused by hurricane or related storm damage (winds, lightning, etc.) or from accompanying floods. Flood damage generally isn't covered. That gets even more complicated because water damage from leaks in the roof or structure caused by the storm IS covered. Confusing isn't it.

But apart from the time the Air Force saw fit to station me elsewhere, I've always lived in a hurricane zone and been through over a dozen hurricanes (four of which were major) and NO ONE ever thought to ask for federal government recompense or assistance for disaster damage. here along the Gulf Coast, that mindset's totally restricted to the New Orleans bunch. The rest of us take care of ourselves and each other in rebuilding.

We do however expect federal government assistance in "recovery" and rescue; such as Coast Guard patrols to rescue survivors. And of course LOCAL government assistancesuch as the National Guard (which for some unknown reason, the Louisiana governor didn't activate) to patrol and prevent looting.

I guess what I'm trying to say (poorly) is our expectations from different levels of government are different largely because our concept of the individual levels themselves are different. Let me try to explain that. To us, state government is generally the level where the rubber hits the road. I would expect almost all of the day to day functions of government (police, fire protection, education, etc.) to be regulated at the state level and provided by the state or even more locally. Whereas the federal level should mostly be hands off on these matters unless they somehow involve a national issue.

To compare it to there, it would be as if a disaster such as an earthquake devastated London and the residents expected the rebuilding efforts to be funded and overseen by the EU. Of course their help would be appreciated (and probably even expected) but no one would expect the EU to be the main driving force.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I prefer the idea of escaping to Gran Canaria for a month with the wife which is exactly what we'll be doing in January :) Sod the doom and gloom, bring on the sunshine :)

But what if that's where the tsunami hits? :eek: LOL. I'm thinking of one of the following areas myself (just for fun, not a survival retreat)

-Puerto Rico
-St. Croix, American Virgin Islands
-Guam
-American Samoa

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You should be worrying about Tenerife Santaman, there is a BIG slab of the island due to drop off and its big enough to cause a Tsunami that will take out the East coast of the USA:eek:

When the wife finally stops peeing about and retires from mental health nursing we'll spend half the year in the sunshine:cool:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. That's what's nice about living along the northern Gulf of Mexico. We're sheltered from most tsunami threats. Not all; but most.

Have fun on your holiday in January Rik.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
You should be worrying about Tenerife Santaman, there is a BIG slab of the island due to drop off and its big enough to cause a Tsunami that will take out the East coast of the USA:eek:

When the wife finally stops peeing about and retires from mental health nursing we'll spend half the year in the sunshine:cool:
Is it not La Palma Rik that is the worry?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
To compare it to there, it would be as if a disaster such as an earthquake devastated London and the residents expected the rebuilding efforts to be funded and overseen by the EU. Of course their help would be appreciated (and probably even expected) but no one would expect the EU to be the main driving force.

The EU is not a united states of Europe. I don't think anyone here would expect funding from the EU. I may be mistaken.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Is it not La Palma Rik that is the worry?

Two option from the islands, La Palma and Mount Teide on Tenerife. If Tenerife kicked off a slab of rock over ten miles long could fall into the ocean and generate a mega tsunami wave 2000-3000ft high. There was some seismic activity on the smallest island in the group El Hierro a couple of years ago IIRC.

I'm not the paranoid/worrying/panic type of prepper but if I was I'd worry more about the Yellowstone Caldera going bang which could see us all off no matter how many MRE's and cans of corned beef you've got:yikes:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Marco1981,
I have really enjoyed reading all about your smallholding and self sufficiency, thank you, it is really great to read about someone who is actually trying to live in a way that is not reliant on others, no matter how successful you ultimately are, the effort is certainly there and I commend you for that. I have been thinking about your set up and I would like to ask you a couple of questions if I may.

I understand that being isolated may be desirable for a life of self sufficiency/survival so to speak, but I just wonder how your community works together, if they do. You hinted at a doctor/neighbour, but how about your other neighbours? I think it is very important to have a community who are cooperative rather than individuals possibly working against each other if the worst should happen. From the couple of times I have been to Scotland, I observe that the community spirit is still pretty much intact, whereas it may have declined in more built up areas of the UK. I just wondered if you are taking advantage of it by bartering, offering services etc. in return for things you may need. I read a blog by a woman who lived for a whole year in a small community in France without buying any groceries or clothes etc. for her family, she foraged in the hedgerows and bartered produce from her smallholding for things that she needed. She really has a fascinating story to tell, you may be interested in reading it. Every time she grew or foraged something she gave some to her neighbours and in that way she was able to accept produce and services but also more importantly, knowledge from her community in return, a community who knew the land and had lived and relied on it for generations. In a survival situation, local knowledge is a GOOD THING. I just wonder how many people there are around you who may be able to give you this knowledge in addition to material things you may need. Have you ever considered adding foraging to your skills base? I know you say you are a vegetarian, but perhaps moving beyond your own plot and looking into fishing and foraging along the shoreline (if you are near to a river or the coast) may stand you in good stead if you ever had to rely on the land around you 100% of the time in the future. Brewing some hedgerow wine or beer or even keeping bees and collecting the honey would be a great thing to trade to your neighbours.

These days in french life blog : http://www.flickr.com/photos/81951381@N00/

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE