"Possibles Pouch" whats in yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok heres mine.. more of a bag than a pouch but never mind ;)

241DSCF0067-med.JPG

and the condensed version
DSCF0068.jpg

(in my little billy can there is two candles, and come parachord.. as well as a bit of condensed milk and some tea bags)
this is what i would carry to go and spend the day in the woods or such like, i wouldnt carry all those books but one or other and my note book for sure! :pack:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
For a typical half to day out (hills or woods) I'll often as not take a North Face bumag.
This gives room for:
TOOLS - knife, leatherman and folding saw. Gerber ceramic sharpener.
BREW -tiny gas stove and cartridge packed in a crusader mug plus hot choc + couscous
LIGHT - Surefire P6 (long range for trail spotting) and Innova 24/7 LED (lasts ages) since I'm often enough out to 1-2 hours after dark in woods / trails I don't entirely know yet
WILDLIFE - Steiner 6x30 binos, waterproof notebook & pen
JUST IN CASE - tissues, compass, army battlefield dressing, whistle
FIRE - firesteel, waterproof box of tinder and mayasticks
Space for a waterbottle.

This lot covers a multitude of sins, without trying to include foul weather kit, group catering or bivvies out - any of which would make me take a rucksack.

There's no room for anything else, so for a MULTIPURPOSE kit, what if anything would you swap out ?

The same north face bag is equally handy for mountain biking when it just carries 2+ litres of water, toolkit and mobile phone :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
am i the only person who never carrys a tourch.. its very rearly too dark to see, and a touch totaly destroys your night vision...? :?:

leon-1

tomtom said:
am i the only person who never carrys a tourch.. its very rearly too dark to see, and a touch totaly destroys your night vision...? :?:

Tom Tom, some people carry torches for the same reason that you may carry a whistle, it can be employed to attract attention in emergencies, at night a torch is a handy thing to have as it pinpoints a location unlike a whistle at night.

Other people carry a torch because sometimes you require more light to do somethings at night, especially if you need to find something.

If you worry about your night vision use a red torch, it still has an affect on your night vision, but it is far less than white light and at the same time gives you a good source of illumination if required. :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
leon-1 said:
If you worry about your night vision use a red torch, it still has an affect on your night vision, but it is far less than white light and at the same time gives you a good source of illumination if required. :wink:

thanks for the tip :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
tomtom said:
Nope. I don't either. :wink: As you mention, it ruins the night vision. A good trick I learnt was to shut one eye and see with the other, while the torch was alight. But only do this if it's absolutely necessary, cause it can take up to 30 minutes to get it again. :wink:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I have red and NV green LED lights that are easy on the eyes at night (although I find that white light LED lights aren't too bad for natural night vision either).

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
leon-1 said:
Tom Tom, some people carry torches for the same reason that you may carry a whistle, it can be employed to attract attention in emergencies, at night a torch is a handy thing to have as it pinpoints a location unlike a whistle at night.

Other people carry a torch because sometimes you require more light to do somethings at night, especially if you need to find something.

Other people carry torches for 24 hour darkness... Your own night vision just cannot be relied upon - I've walked into a lake completely without seeing it, and I shudder to think what might happen should I be on a crevassed glacier or pursued by a bear who can see very much better than I.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If a blind person can avoid falling into a lake during the day... why should we at night? if you can't see, don't wander around moaning about it... find a big stick and wave it about a bit... same goes for the bear :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I thought I would add a little more...

We're always talking about taking your time and improvising and adapting. Should a possibles bag cover just the things you can't improvise or adapt easily?

I mean a knife, I couldn't bang up some sort of forge in the woods / glacier / wilderness so I'd take one... I like light... I'd take a torch, so what if it ruines my night vision, guess what... I've got this handy torch still and i'll use it until I go to sleep or rest :wink:

If I don't want a torch or don't have one I'll improvise a white stick (I can't believe nobody mentioned that before).

My bag contains the following:

fire steel, legal pen knife and a spare key on a keyring
a petzl tikka plus head torch
Some paracord
a digital camera
a water bottle
a cheapie waterproof (soon to be replaced with a poncho)

This coveres me for everything... I can make fire... yes, I can fell a big tree with a 2.5" blade, it takes time but if it comes to it, I'll make the time... paracord to replace broken shoe laces, tie things together etc... a camera because I like having a record of what I see... a water bottle because I like fluid and a waterproof for if it rains or if I get caught out. minimal but sensible.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
This is my one that was inspired by tomtoms, i tested it out today and it works really well for me

100_0873.jpg

I'll also have a couple of waterbottles in my jacket/trouser pocket.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Oh yeah and I'll also have some sort of stuff sack or binliner to put plants, fruits, kindling etc. that I find when out foraging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE