Possession of an Offensive Weapon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone knows of a case where someone has been arrested for a bladed article, taken it to court won,and come out with there knife back?

think you will find most cases with good reason the CPS dont bother to take to court as they know they will lose

if what you say is true there would be a lot lot more arrests etc and a lot more advice on here and BB etc saying done go out of the house unless its EDC S139 end of story.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
why ?? law does not state how it is to be carried if you have good reason and your car is a public place in law for this purpose so there is no difference in the eyes of the law if its on your person or in your car

they may try you if its in reach of the driver that its being carried for self defense and so an offencive weapon

if your on route to the use of the knife you can stop and get petrol

you cant go home then go out again specifically to get fuel as you now have no reason for the knife regardless of where it is car or pocket

ATB

Duncan

My point being that while you are driving or in the petrol station then you do not have good reason for carrying a knife. So to comply with the law, until you get to where you're going you put it in a bag in the boot or sufficiently out of reach to prove you could not possibly be carrying it with the intent of using it as a weapon.
A policeman would tell an angler to put the fillet knife on his belt into a bag if he nipped into town.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

My point being that while you are driving or in the petrol station then you do not have good reason for carrying a knife. So to comply with the law, until you get to where you're going you put it in a bag in the boot or sufficiently out of reach to prove you could not possibly be carrying it with the intent of using it as a weapon.
A policeman would tell an angler to put the fillet knife on his belt into a bag if he nipped into town.

yes but even in the car its your still carrying in a public place so you still need the good reason

yes its probably more sensible for it to be out of site out of mind but under actual law there is no diffence where it is

they would have to prove intent to use as an offensive weapon regardless of where it was any way

you could argue that left in your car unattended its more likely to get nicked ( window smashed if you lock the car) and used for a crime than if its on your belt under your direct control

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Most of it is down to the officer there and then...IMO
Southey, given that Duncan has kindly established the generality of it what do you think the 'good reason' allowance is for? :)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
yes but even in the car its your still carrying in a public place so you still need the good reason

yes its probably more sensible for it to be out of site out of mind but under actual law there is no diffence where it is

they would have to prove intent to use as an offensive weapon regardless of where it was any way

you could argue that left in your car unattended its more likely to get nicked ( window smashed if you lock the car) and used for a crime than if its on your belt under your direct control

Maybe we are looking at this from two very different perspectives. I don't know if perhaps you live in a rural area but up here in urban NW England if I was to walk the streets with a knife on my belt I would expect an armed response!

Maybe we are looking at this from two very different perspectives. I don't know if perhaps you live in a rural area but up here in urban NW England if I was to walk the streets with a knife on my belt I would expect an armed response!

yes your looking at it from what would happen

im looking at it as to what the actual law says

yes im in a rural area we would have to wait till the Dorset Armed unit had put the cows away and found their kit then worked out the best tracks to get to me then they would probably say nice knife how much and can I go on the waiting list and thank his sister Doris behind the counter for calling him to come have a look at the nice shiny thing

however I to would not generally keep a knife on my belt in view in the petrol station just saying the its not any more a problem in law and leaving it in the car isnt more legal if you have good reason

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It is down to the officer to arrest you but not to prosecute.
The reason it says "Good reason" work, national dress are examples.
Imagine the alternative,

Hunting,
Fishing,
bushcraft,
canoeing,
sailing,
diving,
climbing,
etc,
etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE