Possession of an Offensive Weapon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nickelarse

Evening everyone, I thought I would share this with you as I thought you may appreciate it.

On Saturday evening (25/02/12) we decided to to go camping locally on the outskirts of our village, there was only a small group of us that consisted of six individuals who all had no previous spent convictions.

We opted for our regular spot that is situated on the banks of the river as we have used it before and there is an abundance of wood that makes maintaining a hearty fire a lot easier.

The evening went off as usual, spent sat around our fire while partaking in some casual whittling/ rudimentary 'carving' - no alcohol was consumed, the whole group remained lucid - we all turned in at around 5:00 am as we all had very little to do on the following Sunday.

At approximately 9:00 am on the Sunday morning (26/02/12) I heard a member of our group having a conversation with a voice that was alien to me, this conversation ended abruptly with a "yes officer".

Following this I decided to remain in the tent as I proceeded to listen to the officers observations, the officer concluded that there were "lots of oil and signs of drug use" on a piece of foil that was left near the fire by a member of the group who had cooked a jacket potato in the glowing embers.

We were all summoned from our tents and asked our details by this solitary officer who then decided that she could smell cannabis in the other tent which was occupied by three members of our group, may I clarify that there was absolutely no drugs in the tent at the time and there had not been at any time prior to this event.

This solitary officer then took it upon herself to conduct a search of a certain individuals bag who was originally inside this tent, first and foremost that is illegal as one must be searched in the presence of another officer who can co-witness the search so as to facilitate the reduction in possible abuses of power and to provide the CPS with more solid evidence to build a case on so as to increase the likelihood of ensuring a safe conviction.

The officer found a seven inch bowie knife, sheathed, that was stowed in the individuals bag and was used to baton wood for the fire.

The individual was told to, and I quote "come to the van and we can sort this out". He was promptly told that he was under arrest....... he was never read his rights.

He was detained for six hours and ended up accepting a caution as he needed to be at work which was opposite the station.

My point is this, the Police are not your friends and the days of 'intelligent policing' are a distant memory - this individual had good reason to be in possession of the restricted article and was not causing alarm or distress to members of the public....... he was even told that it was a "little loophole" by the officer.

We move ever closer to living in a Police state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Make a complaint, it's free and very satisfying. I curtailed the career of a couple of crap coppers a few years back. Very gratifying.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
In all fairness, it's 40/60 with Police. Some have the mild intelligence to realise you're not out to make trouble and others are just rude, plain stupid and lack any common sense or the basic investigation skills that an average child would posses. From personal experience I'd say that they've been alright to me...so far. They'd harass some bushcrafters, but they wouldn't dare go into the estates in Elephant & Castle and the likes.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
OP your jump from one officer being wrong/overstepping the mark to a reference to a police state is a big jump! I understand your annoyance. The third party you refer to should make a complaint.
PS welcome to the forum.
Alan

N

Nickelarse

I agree, it was a big jump. :)

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
I agree but
Its a 7" bowie knife, what if it had been used in a stabbing and the copper had left it?
Tin foil can be suspicious this day and age and a lot of smells are similar to cannabis.

The PC was doing his/her job, if they didnt do it correctly make a complaint.. but you're friend could of had more than a caution

N

Nickelarse

I do see your point, but if one actually reads the statute - this individual clearly had good grounds to have it amongst his belongings.

Shoppers leaving Argos with a block of kitchen knives are not arrested for possession of an offensive weapon as they have good reason to be in possession of the prohibited articles, this is also applicable to fishermen etc.

I hope that further illustrates my point.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Really 5" I consider too big of a knife, but if you battoning wood with a 7" bowie, why didn't you just take an axe...

The knife probably looked Rambo'ish so the copper probably thought wrong about it.

That's why I carry a Clipper, it's doesn't look mean, and it's a good knife.

N

Nickelarse

I know what you mean, the problem is that it wasn't a cheap knife or some mass produced Chinese piece - it was a purpose built tool.

At this current time I do not own an axe otherwise I would have brought it with me.... and no doubt would have also been arrested!.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Really 5" I consider too big of a knife, but if you battoning wood with a 7" bowie, why didn't you just take an axe...

The knife probably looked Rambo'ish so the copper probably thought wrong about it.

That's why I carry a Clipper, it's doesn't look mean, and it's a good knife.

Not to be rude but it Doesnt really matter what you think is to big for a knife,Everybody has the right to use what ever tool they like or have,its a individuals choice.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Not to be rude but it Doesnt really matter what you think is to big for a knife,Everybody has the right to use what ever tool they like or have,its a individuals choice.

Well yes everyone has the right too use any tool, but coppers see 7" knifes as dangerous, but if I remember you are allowed to carry a 4" knife with a good reason...

N

Nickelarse

Well yes everyone has the right too use any tool, but coppers see 7" knifes as dangerous, but if I remember you are allowed to carry a 4" knife with a good reason...

You are only allowed a blade of 3" or less, and any blade with a locking mechanism is strictly prohibited.

So that basically rules out any knife of any real use.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
You are only allowed a blade of 3" or less, and any blade with a locking mechanism is strictly prohibited.

So that basically rules out any knife of any real use.

You can carry a 3" non locking knife with no reason, but for a bigger knife you must have a good reason.

N

Nickelarse

You can carry a 3" non locking knife with no reason, but for a bigger knife you must have a good reason.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point Sir - surely going camping is a valid enough reason for having a blade that exceeds the specified limit, otherwise that would mean that every knife greater than 3" is purchased solely as a "collectors item".

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Exactly my point Sir - surely going camping is a valid enough reason for having a blade that exceeds the specified limit, otherwise that would mean that every knife greater than 3" is purchased solely as a "collectors item".

At least it wasn't one of mine :eek:

I guess she was just an bottom of a cop then...

Last edited:
N

Nickelarse

I guess he was just an bottom of a cop then...

Quite possibly, the thing is - she was still an on duty Police officer and this is a situation that I would imagine most people could possibly find themselves in.

Let's just hope that others are more fortunate in regards to who stumbles upon their camp....... or is called to it.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Been a while since I've visited here, and hey ho! the legal knife debate again.......forget about size folks, you can be arrested for carry a weapon even if it's only a 2" blade (yep a mate of mine did for a 1.5" folding fruit knife in Peterbrough, although he did open it in a pub but had no fruit avaialble!) or an axe! It's what and why, ie. what have/are you doing with it and why are you doing it with that tool, same applies to a hammer, an umberella or whatever! In the case outlined in the original post, given the facts presented are true and no other facts ommitted (I'm not suggesting that you have done so deliberatly Nickelarse, just that other factors could be relevent), then no offence had been committed and the police officer was out of order, your friend should not have accepted the caution regardless of having to be at work (that's actually the polices problem if they are in the wrong) and I agree with the Imagedude, seek to have the caution removed and asuming the knife has been confiscated, returned. Citizens Advice is always a good place to start. Police officers, contrary to popular belief PO's don't all actually know all the laws pertaining to all situations!
I carry a machette(14") and two axes most of the time and especially when camping, British Customs, Norwegian Customs and Swedish Customs had absolutley no objections what so ever, nor did the ferry company, they've often been in full view of police officers and ner even an enquiry made!!!! go figure!!!

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
To be honest police are s**m...

Now I'm sorry but that sort of comment really annoys the hell out of me. Sure, some aren't the brightest in the world and some can be a right pain sometimes. But on the whole they do a difficult job exceptionally well. If you'd sat in a police station in Govan one evening, going over a fraud case with the CID, then the officer gets a phone call dragging him away to an incident involving a multiple rape of a ten-year-old, you might appreciate them a bit more.

Now I'm sorry but that sort of comment really annoys the hell out of me. Sure, some aren't the brightest in the world and some can be a right pain sometimes. But on the whole they do a difficult job exceptionally well. If you'd sat in a police station in Govan one evening, going over a fraud case with the CID, then the officer gets a phone call dragging him away to an incident involving a multiple rape of a ten-year-old, you might appreciate them a bit more.

Well said that man
its too easy to make a big all sweeping comment but the tales i have heard from some who work in the police force i know just from hearing them i could never do their job. and this is from someone who regularly gets told by folk that they couldn't do mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE