Pork scratchings...yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So many interesting goods are the result of poor folk making food from items the fancy folk don't want, whether it's gumbo, black pudding or ...pork scratchings.

Although there seems to be many names for it.

Pork scratchings?
Pork rinds?
Crackling?
Chicharrón?

My early attempts to make the perfect batch weren't great, but, over the years I've got to understand the science of making the best light, fluffy, crispy snacks

If you would like to know how, I've made a short video

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes.

Also fried chicken skin is wonderful. An old school friend of mine’s mother is Filipino and I remember going over to their house to the smell of it and it made me salivate the moment I got through the door.
Now there's a thought!

Reactions: Chris

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Some names have a better ring to them, I prefer cracking. Been a while since I made some but prefer it to be lightish and crispy rather than rock hard, a bit of a chew is ok.

I do love nice crispy chicken skin as well. Somewhat bizarrely I've known people who leave the skin of a roast chicken, often the same people who prefer breast rather than leg and thigh.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So many interesting goods are the result of poor folk making food from items the fancy folk don't want, whether it's gumbo, black pudding or ...pork scratchings.

Although there seems to be many names for it.

Pork scratchings?
Pork rinds?
Crackling?
Chicharrón?

My early attempts to make the perfect batch weren't great, but, over the years I've got to understand the science of making the best light, fluffy, crispy snacks

If you would like to know how, I've made a short video

I like Pork scratchings.

But my heart belongs to Black Pudding.

If you could do a tutorial on Black pudding.... well.... I hope its the blackest of black puddings please.

A VantaBlack (tm) Pudding...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like Pork scratchings.

But my heart belongs to Black Pudding.

If you could do a tutorial on Black pudding.... well.... I hope its the blackest of black puddings please.

A VantaBlack (tm) Pudding...
Hmmmm there's an idea....

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pork scratchings? A hard pass from me! Crackling is slightly different IME.

Scratchings are very light, dry and kind of fluffy dry. Crackling is closer to what it is, crispy pigskin. In my opinion this distinction relegated scratchings to the bin and crackling promoted to my tum!

Reactions: British Red

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
And don't forget, oysters were poor man's beef at one time! Often used to pad out a beef pie.

In other cultures or countries languoustines were poor man's food but now in the UK a bit luxury.

What's the next poor man's food to become posh fodder?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Oxtail, beef cheeks all used to be a poor mans food thing.

However.... I'm all ears for the next one...

Reactions: Tsantsa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE