Pork scratchings...yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
A Cheese Moment sandwiched between two Bacon Fries. Absolutely delightful.

Never let it be said that British cuisine lacks excitement or class.
I was having a disagreement with a middle eastern colleague about her views on our cuisine, I will direct her to this thread as proof that we are in fact at the top of the culinary tree

Sent from underground

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I'd like to see the before shot of what goes into the big chunk of doner kebab meat. The before shot might look worse than any of the after shots following addictive substance

I used to live behind a kebab shop, butchery on pallets out the back. It got shut down for hygiene at least once. I still went there for a lamb donor though. ;)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You say that like it's a negative...

As to pork scratchings or crackling, I've never really felt the love. Black pudding, on the other hand, yes, please. But always with an egg if available.
It is in a public/ social setting i reckon, buying something that nobody else will touch so you get it all to yourself. I was brought up with the idea that you don't open in social settings unless you're going to share. Parents, relatives, even teachers!

However you must keep the egg away from the black pudding l no mixing with the yolk! It's a similar thing to the baked beans in a little pot on fry up. I know it's annoying but that allows you to pour it out where it won't intermingle with food best not mixed. Crispy bacon made soggy by baked beans or eggs is not to my taste.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you're into questionable foods that divide opinions you have to mention Marmite! There's no middle ground with that brewing waste product!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Black pudding makes my favourite omelette - just cut up a couple of black pudding slices into 1cm cubes, fry for a couple of minutes (but not crisp), add your beaten egg with freshly ground black pepper, lid on, when just cooked fold over and eat - delicious :)
Going to have to try that. Thought black pudding and bacon buns were the best but this sounds nice.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The farm shop at Tomintul on the north bank of Loch Tay does nice ones but I am not sure who makes them.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You can do the same with “proper” black puds. Cut them laterally into two horse shoes (and remember to peel them).

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
@Paul_B No egg yolk near black pudding, "crispy" bacon that can't withstand moisture, and a total failure to see a joke? Dammit, man, are you trying to make a mortal enemy here?! ;)

P.S. In addition to my blind spot for pork scratchings, I also absolutely cannot stand baked beans. There, I've said it. If I'm ostracised, so be it. Talking of which, we used to have locally raised ostrich sausages, and they were nice.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Black pudding makes my favourite omelette - just cut up a couple of black pudding slices into 1cm cubes, fry for a couple of minutes (but not crisp), add your beaten egg with freshly ground black pepper, lid on, when just cooked fold over and eat - delicious :)
That does sound delicious Andy, one for me to definitely try :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE